Author Topic: Glow plugs  (Read 2512 times)

Offline ironhorsedriver

Glow plugs
« on: March 24, 2009, 05:52:46 AM »
Anybody here ever hot wired their Glow Plugs to an intermittant switch? My old 350 is played out and I'm tired of replacing controllers. Tired of ether too. I'm thinking of hot wiring through the relay.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Glow plugs
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2009, 06:07:45 AM »
Around here it was common to wire a toggle switch (get a momentary,self centering one) and using that when starting.
Glow plugs won`t stand long use so it needs to be limited to a few seconds.

I don`t think it applies to you but as far as ether goes....never use that and also be using glow plugs.
I take it you were using some because the glow plugs weren`t working but just in case anyone is lurking and not understand the danger.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2009, 06:56:14 AM »
Yea, I can crank all day, nothing. I put the lamp across the plugs, nothing. The plugs go bad at least once a year, but my controller is on-going. All my problems started when the metal in the fuel filter failed do to fatigue. I had to put an assembly of off a International tractor because no dealer or supply house could get me the filter assy. So, my fuel probably doesn't get any pre-heat. I even put a electric pump in line as a booster, thought it might be a pressure issue on start up. That hasn't cured it either. I've aqbout reached wits end with the starting issue.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2009, 05:58:25 AM »
New plugs, toggle, the old girl is up and running. Now, another question. Any one ever put a single pole alternator on their truck. This thing also has a habit of eating alternators, 1 a year. It does have dual batteries. I'm thinking about wiring a single pole, wire from alt to amp gauge to hot wire on the starter. Bypass the regulator completely. Any thoughts on this, pros and cons?

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2009, 10:33:45 AM »
New plugs, toggle, the old girl is up and running. Now, another question. Any one ever put a single pole alternator on their truck. This thing also has a habit of eating alternators, 1 a year. It does have dual batteries. I'm thinking about wiring a single pole, wire from alt to amp gauge to hot wire on the starter. Bypass the regulator completely. Any thoughts on this, pros and cons?

I wouldent do it. Without a regulator you'll produce too much voltage. If you are losing diodes in the alt (?), you may want to try a higher current (capability) alt.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline ironhorsedriver

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2009, 11:26:33 AM »

I wouldent do it. Without a regulator you'll produce too much voltage. If you are losing diodes in the alt (?), you may want to try a higher current (capability) alt.
Thanks, I'll give that a try first.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2009, 07:28:12 PM »

If it is a "one wire" self exciting alternator based on the old 10si Delcotron the voltage would be okay as it has a special internal regulator for that.
I have put them on tractors to replace generators or troublesome Motorolas but wouldn`t do it on a passenger vehicle.
The wiring is too complex and the external regulator is also probably serving as a junction point.
It might work for charging but something else could go haywire.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2009, 04:40:05 AM »

True.

The mass produced "autozone" type electric parts don't last very long either. Even the lifetime warranty parts are no good if you have to eat the labor.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2009, 10:23:10 AM »
I installed an alternator on a 72 Olds Cutlass that had an internal regulator. Originally, it had an alternator with an external regulator. As I remember, it wasn't all that difficult and I didn't have any electrical problems afterwards. IF your vehicle is eating alternators, two things to check, 1.) that it's the proper sized alternator for a diesel vehicle; and 2.) that your water pump is the right  water pump. I know it sounds goofy, but if the shaft length on the water pump isn't correct, it will cause the bearings to go out in the alternator. GMs are especially prone to having a few different water pumps for the same vehicle.

Ohhh, and I would recommend changing the toggle switch to a momentary on pushbutton switch. ;)
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2009, 10:31:15 AM »
I installed an alternator on a 72 Olds Cutlass that had an internal regulator. Originally, it had an alternator with an external regulator. As I remember, it wasn't all that difficult and I didn't have any electrical problems afterwards. IF your vehicle is eating alternators, two things to check, 1.) that it's the proper sized alternator for a diesel vehicle; and 2.) that your water pump is the right  water pump. I know it sounds goofy, but if the shaft length on the water pump isn't correct, it will cause the bearings to go out in the alternator. GMs are especially prone to having a few different water pumps for the same vehicle.

Ohhh, and I would recommend changing the toggle switch to a momentary on pushbutton switch. ;)

Yup, I remember when looking at SBC's (hotrodding/rebuild candidates)) we had to look down at the water pump to see if it was a "tall" or "short". You could tell by the gap between the back of the pump and the block.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.