Author Topic: Food Expired? Here's What's Still OK to Chow Down On  (Read 3599 times)

Offline RobJohnson

Food Expired? Here's What's Still OK to Chow Down On
« on: September 26, 2013, 02:16:11 AM »

When Doug Rauch, the former president of grocery chain Trader Joe's, announced earlier this week that he is planning on opening a discount store that carries expired food, the big question many responded with was: "Is it safe?" Americans have come to equate products past their expiration dates with food poisoning, a misconception that contributes to 40 percent ­— or $160 billion worth — of the nation's food supply being trashed each year.

http://shine.yahoo.com/healthy-living/expired-food-just-nose-190200241.html

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
Re: Food Expired? Here's What's Still OK to Chow Down On
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2013, 08:10:13 AM »
I do the grocery shopping, or at least try to keep my wife out of the grocery store.

My Dad was a USDA meat inspector for 42 years. Over the years I've learned to judge the quality of meats, and gray hamburger doesn't faze me, makes good chili. Too many people think that a single package (not a promotional sale) of top sirloin marked down a couple of dollars is beginning to spoil, and pass on it. I'll snatch it up and put it in the freezer for some beef stew or veggie beef soup in January.

Boxed goods like cereals and pasta type "quick meals"? Good to go. So are canned goods if the lids aren't bulged.

You have to remember that product liability insurance for grocery stores is pretty expensive. Add the reputation and the very low profit margin to that, grocery chains and established local markets aren't going to take too many chances on selling foods that make you sick.
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2013, 12:45:37 PM »
Milk has gone bad when it comes out in clumps, right?

Offline marv

• In Memoriam
  • Resident Grandpa
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2013, 12:53:04 PM »
"Gone bad" means it tastes bad in a glass, but you can still cook with it. I stick with 2% because it lasts longer....before it "goes bad".
FOUR BOXES KEEP US FREE: THE SOAP BOX, THE BALLOT BOX, THE JURY BOX, AND THE CARTRIDGE BOX.

THIS POST WILL BE MONITORED BY THE NSA

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2013, 06:42:06 PM »
Eggs. Place in a bowl of water. If an egg floats, it's gone bad, but if it sinks, it's still edible, even if that expiration date passed you by weeks ago.

Offline Karin

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2013, 03:39:18 PM »
Of course, the companies can sell more if you throw away an old item and replace it.  I don't get all worked up over dates on cupboard goods, but it's important to my husband for some reason. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2013, 04:20:21 PM »
My "Rule of Thumb"? If it smells good, eat it.

O-)
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2013, 04:10:47 PM »
My "Rule of Thumb"? If it smells good, eat it.

That's why God put our nose just above our mouth.

O-)