Author Topic: house Dem's First Bill...  (Read 1450 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
house Dem's First Bill...
« on: November 14, 2018, 08:29:05 PM »
Star Member kpete (61,237 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211427733

It's about damn time.

House Dems' first bill includes:

-Automatic voter registration

-Restoration of the Voting Rights Act

-Public financing of elections

-An end to Congressional gerrymandering

-A constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United

:lol:

A Constitutional Amendment?  :lmao:

Crutchez_CuiBono (5,531 posts)

1. Just the beginning. TY Democrats.

It will never make it past the Senate. Oh, it won't probably make it passed the House...

Star Member KPN (6,087 posts)

6. Fat chance but I'm all for and like it immensely. This is what the vast majority of Americans

want to see -- and is something we, as a party, can run on effectively in 2020.

Beats the frigging hell out of "Repeal Obamacare". I would be more than happy to see the House vote on this repeatedly if necessary.

:rotf:

Wed Nov 14, 2018, 12:14 PM
Star Member genxlib (1,722 posts)

9. Can we add non-partisan election monitoring

The fact that elected officials at the state level are in charge of voting is just a travesty. How many times do we have to smash into these massive conflicts of interest before we can do away with it.

I would be in favor of a board staffed by appointments from each party.

All you would need is monitors in urban Democrat controlled voting districts...

Response to kpete (Original post)Wed Nov 14, 2018, 12:59 PM
Bernardo de La Paz (26,934 posts)

13. This is very smart and very necessary.

The public needs reminding daily of the contrast between the tricky Republicons and the Democrats. One of the best ways is to make a clear choice between the two on THIS issue. Taking the high road by putting this issue front and center is brilliant.

All five points there are necessary reforms.

Never has there been a greater need for election reform than 2018 in the tRump regime as the culmination of 40 years of Republicon electoral trickery.

:loser:

Star Member PoindexterOglethorpe (7,217 posts)

19. Given that district boundaries are drawn by the states,

I don't see how they can end Gerrymandering.

:rofl:

Wed Nov 14, 2018, 04:20 PM
TrollBuster9090 (4,654 posts)

35. I'd add THREE MORE THINGS to that list!

1. Make voting day a NATIONAL HOLIDAY. Poor people have trouble getting the time off work, and Republicans know it.

2. I'd turn POST OFFICES into polling places on election day; and also make it possible to register to vote at any Post Office.

and, finally...probably most importantly

3. I'd put a TAX on political donations of about 10%, with all money raised going to increasing the number of polling places in districts that have too few. Also the money could be used to buy optical scanners to replace those g--ddamned crooked voting machines.

Why is the third one important? The crooked SCOTUS has ruled that money is free speech. That's not going to be overturned anytime soon. So, billionaire magadonors will continue to influence elections unduly. But they'd be less inclined to donate a billion dollars to an election (something the Koch brothers have ACTUALLY DONE) if they knew their political donations would make it EASIER for POOR PEOPLE to VOTE!

That's a fact. The average person who donates $20 to a candidate won't be bothered by the fact that $2 will go towards increasing the number of poling stations, or making the voting process more efficient. But somebody donating $200,000,000 (like Adelson) will DEFINITELY be pissed to think that $2,000,000 of that will go to increasing the number of polling stations in poor districts.

1 (and 2). If the elections are national holidays... the post offices will be closed... so there goes one and two... Also- you have to make every postal worker (a federal employee) an election worker... a state employee...

3. ugh.. so much stupidity. Now they want optical scanners? I am assuming they mean to read the ballots and not actual optical scanners to scan the bio-metrics or the voters... although that would be an awesome idea... Also- I am betting that the tax the donation thing would hurt the shit out of the dems more than the republicans...

:whatever:

Response to kpete (Original post)Wed Nov 14, 2018, 08:51 PM
Star Member colsohlibgal (3,422 posts)

41. Awesome Let's Go!

Let the Senate be on record voting against these popular measures.

:loser:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: house Dem's First Bill...
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 08:36:29 PM »
Well, I like the nonpartisan vote supervision, but that's one the Dems will scrub from any bill.  The Republicans should try to amend it back in.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2018, 03:58:24 AM »
How about this
1) produce a valid id when voting
2) absentee ballots are counted immediately after midnight on voting day and the total number of votes is recorded with the state election office.
3) after polls close calculate the total number of votes taken and record that count with the state election office within a half hour of the polls closing.
4) the total votes in a county cannot exceed the total votes recorded for that day.
5) start tallying the actual votes.
6) any extra or "found" ballots are disqualified from any future recount.
7) eliminate provisional ballots.

That about takes care of the problem.
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2018, 07:59:27 AM »
-A constitutional amendment to overturn Citizens United

:rotf: This should be amusing! :rotf: An amendment just to overturn a specific court decision? :rotf: They'll find the mummies of Akhenaten and Nefertiti, and the body of Jimmy Hoffa before that gets ratified.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Karin

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2018, 05:31:44 PM »
They're attaching a constitutional amendment to a House bill?  They apparently don't know how things work.  :rotf:

Offline SVPete

« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2018, 06:06:34 PM »
They're attaching a constitutional amendment to a House bill?  They apparently don't know how things work.  :rotf:

They = kpete. I doubt many DUpipo respect her intelligence much more than I do.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2018, 07:58:10 PM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2018, 07:34:11 PM »
How about this
2) absentee ballots are counted immediately after midnight on voting day and the total number of votes is recorded with the state election office.
3) after polls close calculate the total number of votes taken and record that count with the state election office within a half hour of the polls closing.
4) the total votes in a county cannot exceed the total votes recorded for that day.

This just in:

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program. :whistling:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2018, 09:48:09 PM »
>-Automatic voter registration

ESAD commie scum. Papers please.  Veto'd.

Offline Old n Grumpy

« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2018, 06:55:22 AM »

They are democrats, liberal and progressive to the core. Things should work the way THEY want them to. :-)
Life is tough and it’s even tougher when you’re stupid

Basking in the glow of my white Privilege, while I water the Begonias with liberal tears!

I will give up my guns when the liberals give up their illegal aliens

We need a Bull Shit tax to make the Democrats go broke!

Offline DUmpsterDiver

« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2018, 07:32:40 PM »
> House Dems' first bill includes:
> -Automatic voter registration

Careful with that Gavel Nancine...Your house on the hill looks similar to the one in Zabrinski Point.
Just saying...

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2018, 09:45:11 AM »
What, no impeachment?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2018, 08:29:29 PM »
What, no impeachment?

That was what I was thinking.   :mental:

Maybe they think muellerween muellergiving muellermas is gonna happen, President Trump will be shot at dawn for his crimes and impeachment will thus be unnecessary.  Hey it makes sense in a dummie sort of way.   :cheersmate:
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2018, 11:30:17 AM »
How about this
1) produce a valid id when voting and states that fail to require this lose their electoral college votes
2) absentee ballots are counted immediately after midnight on voting day and the total number of votes is recorded with the state election office. mandate that absentee ballots get priority mail treatment, at US Gov't expense

Dead voters should be removed from the rolls automatically. Every hospital in the country submits a death certificate for deceased people to their local county records, yes?  Mandate that those counties then forward a certified copy to the elections board to clear the voter rolls.
Total number of votes over 80% of registered voters initiates an automatic audit, where election board has to show their sign in books to state canvassing board.
Strict chain of custody by observers from both parties from polling place to counting location.  Votes that do not have that chain of custody are not counted and immediately destroyed due to potential contamination.
If found to be improperly conducted, then election workers are charged with election fraud, which carries felony charges and permanent disqualification for voting, elected office, and public service.

Offline YupItsMe

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2018, 05:41:13 PM »
How about this

And how the Hell to expect the Democrats to win at all?   Are you suggesting they actually get live, legal voters to vote for them and only vote once?