Author Topic: How I know armed guards in public buildings won't work  (Read 3679 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
How I know armed guards in public buildings won't work
« on: October 29, 2018, 10:02:32 PM »
Star Member JohnnyRingo (12,671 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211340303

Donald Trump said that if there was an armed guard in that synagogue he would have shot the gunman and it would be over. Donald Trump watches too many movies.

A sidearm is no match for an assault rifle, and pulling one on such an assailant is a sure way to make one's self the next target. Trump must think a guard can draw, fire, and watch as the gunman spins twice and hits the ground with only enough remaining breath to utter a memorable quote before going limp.

In reality, such a determined killer will take several body shots while returning hi-power flesh tearing rounds in fast succession. No one but the bravest wants to be a dead hero. Most hourly security guards would wisely follow the others running to safety. I know I would.

In the case of Pittsburgh, four trained SWAT team members took wounds from the gunman before he finally succumbed (probably out of ammo). A security guard with a pistol could only serve as a bullet magnet while others fled. [so. you are saying he would have saved lives...]

In Denver where the gunman entered through the back door dressed as The Joker, it was Colorado. I'm sure there were concealed guns in that theater, but not one person tried to shoot back. Not one. [it was a gun free zone in a urban city noted for it's liberal policies and public. Doubt there was a CC permit within 50 miles]

Maybe Trump meant churches should have a belt fed M30 mounted machine gun nest behind the alter trained on the pews. That might deter a mass shooting, but...

As an aside Trump also cited "bringing back the death penalty" as a sure way to stop these suicidal killers. Pennsylvania does have capital punishment, so what went wrong?

Dumbass attaches almost mythical powers to the shooters but thinks all the armed security would suck at shooting back and cowards to boot. Makes as much sense as anything else the DUmpmonkiez say, really...

if someone comes in shooting and then gets shot at back, I an gar-un-tee you they are gonna duck and try to get away from the gunfire... trust me on that one.

Star Member Blue_true (9,010 posts)

2. One time a survivor of a mass shooting described what the sounds of the firing from an assault weapon seemed like. He said that first it freezes your mind, like a deer in headlights. If a person is not dead from freezing, the survivor said that when the flee reflex returns, there is no sense of where to run to since the sound is echoing everywhere. Finally the survivor said that he just ran and hoped that he was not running into the person firing. I honestly have no idea of what I would do in a mass shooting, likely I would act like the survivor of one and maybe I would come out of it alive.

That's why you train, DUmbasses. A brand new private in the military is likely to freeze up the first time in combat- but you train hard and are ready. You don't just hand someone a sidearm and tell them to guard the bank.

Furthermore- you argue a pistol can't defeat a rifle..
not true- you just have to know how to shoot is all... better yet, arm your security personnel with AR-15s...
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
Re: How I know armed guards in public buildings won't work
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2018, 10:12:41 PM »
Yet they cheer on ‘freedom’ fighters in places like Afghanistan and Syria, who are fighting fighter jets with AK’s. Guess that’s different, huh?

Bottom line; if I’m armed I have a much higher success rate of actually returning fire than if I’m not armed. Seems logical to me, but maybe my math is off ...

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2018, 11:29:33 PM »
I wonder why shooters target places where they know there won't be armed guards or armed citizens.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2018, 01:37:45 AM »
Gee I seemed to do ok as an armed guard at my work place when some asshat decided to shoot his daughters ex boyfriend in the back with a .40 cal Glock one night. Despite running into each other and finding ourselves within 30 feet of each other just after the shooting I , with the help of one of the night managers got the guy on the ground and held him there till the cops got there.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Movie buff- The Sequel

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2018, 04:37:13 AM »
Never mind that an armed security guard managed to stop Matthew Murray (The 2007 Denver church shooter) by herself.
Oh, wait, I forgot: The DUmmies portrayed Murray as a brave and noble hero for it, portrayed the churchgoers he targeted as evil fundies who must have all deserved to die, and portrayed the guard in question as a bloodthirsty lunatic for it, so they'd say that doesn't count.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2018, 06:19:31 AM »
Gee I seemed to do ok as an armed guard at my work place when some asshat decided to shoot his daughters ex boyfriend in the back with a .40 cal Glock one night. Despite running into each other and finding ourselves within 30 feet of each other just after the shooting I , with the help of one of the night managers got the guy on the ground and held him there till the cops got there.

I remember when you posted about that.

The thing is there are far more defensive uses of guns every year than there are killings.  You don't hear about it because usually it is someone simply brandishing and stopping anything from escalating, and we all know the DUpipo will never acknowledge this. 

The next thing they always do after a shooting is demonize all gun owners, but God help you if you do that to any of their sacred cows.  Illegal immigrant kills someone?  Hell, go tell DUpipo you want all illegal immigrants held responsible for that crime and see how far that gets you.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2018, 06:24:18 AM »
Star Member JohnnyRingo (12,671 posts) https://www.democraticunderground.com/100211340303

Donald Trump said that if there was an armed guard in that synagogue he would have shot the gunman and it would be over. Donald Trump watches too many movies.

A sidearm is no match for an assault rifle, and pulling one on such an assailant is a sure way to make one's self the next target. Trump must think a guard can draw, fire, and watch as the gunman spins twice and hits the ground with only enough remaining breath to utter a memorable quote before going limp.

In reality, such a determined killer will take several body shots while returning hi-power flesh tearing rounds in fast succession. No one but the bravest wants to be a dead hero. Most hourly security guards would wisely follow the others running to safety. I know I would.

In the case of Pittsburgh, four trained SWAT team members took wounds from the gunman before he finally succumbed (probably out of ammo). A security guard with a pistol could only serve as a bullet magnet while others fled. [so. you are saying he would have saved lives...]

In Denver where the gunman entered through the back door dressed as The Joker, it was Colorado. I'm sure there were concealed guns in that theater, but not one person tried to shoot back. Not one. [it was a gun free zone in a urban city noted for it's liberal policies and public. Doubt there was a CC permit within 50 miles]

Maybe Trump meant churches should have a belt fed M30 mounted machine gun nest behind the alter trained on the pews. That might deter a mass shooting, but...

As an aside Trump also cited "bringing back the death penalty" as a sure way to stop these suicidal killers. Pennsylvania does have capital punishment, so what went wrong?

The moment a citizen starts returning fire the assailants plans go out the window immediately and now he is in a life or death struggle.

Tell me there was one member of that congregation that would not have wanted to have a gun at that moment.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2018, 06:27:28 AM »
The moment a citizen starts returning fire the assailants plans go out the window immediately and now he is in a life or death struggle.

Tell me there was one member of that congregation that would not have wanted to have a gun at that moment.

What's really sad is most of them may have actually supported policies that would prevent them or others from being able to defend themselves.  I doubt the politics of it would ever run through your mind at a time like that, but I can definitely see someone trying to find cover and wishing they had a weapon to at least try to fight off the attacker.  When you're cornered you don't have much option to flee so the fight instinct has to kick in.

KC

*Stolen

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2018, 06:29:25 AM »

What's really sad is most of them may have actually supported policies that would prevent them or others from being able to defend themselves.  I doubt the politics of it would ever run through your mind at a time like that, but I can definitely see someone trying to find cover and wishing they had a weapon to at least try to fight off the attacker.  When you're cornered you don't have much option to flee so the fight instinct has to kick in.

KC

Maybe the synagogue should have supplied a bucket of rocks or something.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline SVPete

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2018, 07:11:16 AM »
New Life Church, Colorado Springs, 12/9/2007:

At about 1:00 p.m. MST (20:00 UTC), more than thirty minutes after the 11:00 a.m. sermon had ended at New Life Church, Murray opened fire in the church parking lot, shooting at the Works family as they entered their vehicle, causing the worst fatal consequences at New Life Church that day: the deaths of two of the Works' family's four daughters: Stephanie Works, 18, and Rachel Works, 16, as well as the near-death of their father, David Works, who was shot multiple times.

Church member and bystander Judy Purcell was wounded in the shoulder when attempting to enter her vehicle; she survived her injuries. Murray directed gunfire towards other vehicles during his shooting spree within the New Life Church parking lot, including narrowly missing church patron Christina Wilke after riddling her vehicle with a volley of bullets from his semi-automatic rifle, missing Wilke with his gunfire by approximately four inches. Murray then entered the building's main foyer where he wounded Larry Bourbonnais, as Bourbonnais was attempting to yell at Murray distract Murray from hurting others; Bourbonnais was minorly wounded in the forearm with shrapnel. At this point, church member Jeanne Assam, a private security guard working for New Life Church, who was herself a former Minneapolis Police Department law enforcement officer, opened fire upon Murray. The incident was fully witnessed by Larry Bourbonnais, who later repeatedly conveyed to national news interests that, "It was the bravest thing I've ever seen." Assam later gave her testimony publicly, stating that she felt that she was spiritually called to serve on the security team for the church that morning, and that she had been personally fasting and praying in preparation due to a supernatural "calling from God." While the official coroner's report states that Murray subsequently killed himself, some reports indicate that Assam suspects that she was the one who potentially administered the fatal wound upon Murray. The police themselves have not stated on-record whom they believe fired the fatal shot upon Murray.

Regardless of whether Jeanne Assam's was the fatal shot or Murray finished himself off, she stopped a mass shooting in progress and saved lives.

AND NOW, THE PITTSBURGH SYNAGOGUE SHOOTINGS

Watching the interview of the synagogue’s immediate past president on FOX News, I was disheartened to learn that the synagogue had no security for Shabbat services. At Temple of Aaron in St. Paul, which I take it draws a comparable or smaller crowd than Tree of Life at Shabbat services, we have had regular police presence for the past several years. Indeed, I became friends with Officer Lou Ferraro — this year’s St. Paul Police Officer of the year — pausing to thank him for working overtime and to kibbitz on Saturday mornings when I attended services.

Incidents such as this shooting at Tree of Life synagogue or that Baptist church in Texas or that Sikh temple in Wisconsin were almost unthinkable as recently as 20 years ago, but many churches have responded by having security teams, some of whose members are carrying concealed. From Scott Johnson's article, above, it appears that some cities' PDs are stationing on-duty at likely targets (a Jewish temple/synagogue in the Twin Cities in MN,need I say more?).

Maybe when politicians stop politicizing shootings, maybe when politicians stop demonizing religious people and faiths, maybe when politicians summon the courage to have police "sweat the small stuff" and get those who commit "big stuff" off the streets, maybe when politicians summon the courage to get known crazies out of circulation security teams will become unnecessary at churches, synagogues, temples and mosques. I won't be holding my breath anticipating all that happening.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2018, 08:26:55 AM »
ARs aren't exactly known for putting people completely down with one shot, in fact they're not as good at it as a pistol with a manstopping load.  As far as relative advantage, inside a building that's entirely a matter of who has the drop on who, not the weapon.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2018, 08:29:32 AM »

Maybe when politicians stop politicizing shootings, maybe when politicians stop demonizing religious people and faiths, maybe when politicians summon the courage to have police "sweat the small stuff" and get those who commit "big stuff" off the streets, maybe when politicians summon the courage to get known crazies out of circulation security teams will become unnecessary at churches, synagogues, temples and mosques. I won't be holding my breath anticipating all that happening.

Here's what really pisses me off.  You can watch any 'cop' show you want, I mean the reality ones like Cops or Live PD, and you will see them catch someone with a firearm who is a FELON, and they let them go.  I've even seen it on some of the game warden shows that are on now.

These people should be arrested!  It is the law, and it is one that is overlooked time and again.  What in the hell is going on?!  If you're a felon you know you aren't supposed to have access to any firearms, you get caught, you go to jail.  It is that simple.

Our firearms laws are flaunted daily and all the left wants to scream about is more firearm restrictions.  Nope.  Not until you start prosecuting those who lie on the federal form to purchase or you start arresting felons with firearms they shouldn't have.

Saw a story about a reporter who was going to show how easy it was to purchase a firearm and he was denied because he lied on the federal form.  What happened to him?  Absolutely nothing.  They should have arrested his ass and made a documentary about his deceit and what it can cost you.

KC

*Stolen

Offline hillneck

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2018, 03:03:57 PM »
I would rather have any weapon than none at all.  A properly practiced and trained individual with a pistol is a very effective guard.  The DUmmies, as usual, speaking about things they have no ideal about.
In battle you have to show no mercy for mercy comes after the war when you still have the freedom to ask for it.

"Montani Semper Liberi"

Pray as if God will take care of all; act as if all is up to you.

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2018, 04:34:24 PM »
Reading Johnny's drivel you can tell just how much of an idiot he is when it comes to firearms. Two things that stood out are:

1. Someone needs to tell him that the AR in AR-15 does not stand for Assault Rifle.
2. A belt fed M30 MG? What is it? One half of a M-60 GPMG? Sorry DUmbass, the "belt fed M-30 machine gun", much like everything else you believe in, is just a figment of your drug addled brain.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2018, 09:01:56 PM by Zathras »
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe

Offline SVPete

« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2018, 05:14:42 PM »
... Donald Trump watches too many movies.

Who watches too many movies?
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2018, 06:27:23 PM »
Star Member Blue_true (9,010 posts)

2. One time a survivor of a mass shooting described what the sounds of the firing from an assault weapon seemed like. He said that first it freezes your mind, like a deer in headlights. If a person is not dead from freezing, the survivor said that when the flee reflex returns, there is no sense of where to run to since the sound is echoing everywhere. Finally the survivor said that he just ran and hoped that he was not running into the person firing. I honestly have no idea of what I would do in a mass shooting, likely I would act like the survivor of one and maybe I would come out of it alive.

I realize that everyone is different but here's my story. I was walking some woods that were strange to me looking over a piece of property for someone. It was 10 or more acres. I was walking a fire break. When I got to the very back of the property I came to a clearing. I was still standing in the fire break, but in the clearing, about 50' or so from me, I saw a moonshine still with smoke still coming from the ashes. Now THAT caused me to freeze but just for a second. As I stood in the fire break looking at the still a rifle shot rang out. I IMMEDIATELY dropped to my knees and hurriedly low jogged from the area.

I don't know where the rifle shot came from, but it was fairly close. I don't know if it was someone guarding the still or someone shooting for fun, but I didn't feel the need to stick around and find out. I also don't know if the shot was fired from a scary flat black "assault" rifle or one of those extremely friendly rifles with a wooden stock, but I figured the bullet that was being fired didn't know if it was being fired from a scary rifle or a friendly rifle.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline SVPete

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2018, 06:58:09 PM »
My, my, my, I didn't remember it this AM, but there was an incident in 2012 that was almost exactly what Star Moron JohnnyRingo claimed cannot happen.  A moron entered Clackamas Town Center mall and starts firing away with an AR-15 type rifle, killing 2 and seriously wounding a third. A concealed carrier took aim at the moron, was spotted, and the moron fled, eventually taking his own life. I don't know OR's requirements for getting a CC license, but I suspect the CCer's Glock 22 was a greater danger to the moron than the moron's rifle was to the CCer. Because the CCer probably knew what he was doing, and the moron much less so.

Offline Ausonius

« Reply #17 on: October 30, 2018, 07:42:26 PM »
My, my, my, I didn't remember it this AM, but there was an incident in 2012 that was almost exactly what Star Moron JohnnyRingo claimed cannot happen.  A moron entered Clackamas Town Center mall and starts firing away with an AR-15 type rifle, killing 2 and seriously wounding a third. A concealed carrier took aim at the moron, was spotted, and the moron fled, eventually taking his own life. I don't know OR's requirements for getting a CC license, but I suspect the CCer's Glock 22 was a greater danger to the moron than the moron's rifle was to the CCer. Because the CCer probably knew what he was doing, and the moron much less so.

Amen!  And I loved this line in the original comments:

In Denver where the gunman entered through the back door dressed as The Joker, it was Colorado. I'm sure there were concealed guns in that theater, but not one person tried to shoot back. Not one.

And because "I'm sure," that makes the assertion a fact!   :tongue:
"Every democracy eventually becomes a bilge pump expelling the most hilarious and unwitting self-satire."

Offline J P Sousa

• We Built Our Business - IN SPITE OF GOVERNMENT
  • I love the smell of gun powder in the morning
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2018, 09:51:46 AM »
The DUmmies refuse the facts;

McDonald's murderous shooter stopped by armed dad

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/oct/29/mcdonalds-murderous-shooter-stopped-armed-dad/

John Wayne: "America Why I Love Her"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5ZGz7h0epU

Get Over It! We Are Not All Created Equal ~Capt Katie Petronio

Obama Wiretapped The Trump Tower...FACT

The reason there are so many stupid people is because it's illegal to kill them.
~John Wayne

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2018, 04:09:01 PM »
In Garland, Texas a security guard dropped not 1, but 2 would be Muslim terrorists armed with semiautomatic rifles.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline txradioguy

• Minister of Propaganda
  • Rule 39
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2018, 04:45:36 PM »
What the DUmmies don't seem to realize is that the deterrence aspect of an armed...trained security presence at a building is just as important as a guard that draws his weapon and engages an attacker.

The fear of the unknown for shooters like that...not knowing if there is a guard or armed parishoners could be the difference of life or death for those assembled.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Creator of the largest Fight Club thread ever!

http://conservativecave.com/index.php?topic=83285.0

Offline SVPete

« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2018, 07:13:53 AM »
In Garland, Texas a security guard dropped not 1, but 2 would be Muslim terrorists armed with semiautomatic rifles.

Curtis Culwell Center attack

The terrorists should have used sawed-off shotguns to produce a 50 yard long, no aiming needed, cone-of-death.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2018, 07:17:02 AM by SVPete »

Offline jukin

« Reply #22 on: November 05, 2018, 10:03:38 PM »
Thank you DUchebag for making the point of having rifles. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

The best hangun caliber is a long gun. PERIOD

When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2018, 07:20:02 AM »
Thank you DUchebag for making the point of having rifles. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nycYxb-zNwc

The best hangun caliber is a long gun. PERIOD

As long as it is one of them there large velocity calibers because as you know they tumble and break bones and stuff. It has also been reported by one DUmmie some time ago that it shoots through engine blocks as well.  :p
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member

Offline BadCat

• I H8 Liberals
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2018, 09:12:12 AM »
As long as it is one of them there large velocity calibers because as you know they tumble and break bones and stuff. It has also been reported by one DUmmie some time ago that it shoots through engine blocks as well.  :p

I liked the one they posted about the .223 that blew a feral hog to "pieces".
Help keep America beautiful...deface a liberal.

The Democrat and Republican parties are simply the left and right wings of the same bird of prey.

The road to freedom is paved with dead liberals.

21fadb4221652b86382c8f73526880b7