Author Topic: Whats for Dinner Tonight?  (Read 325218 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: Whats for Dinner Tonight?
« Reply #1775 on: June 05, 2016, 09:19:40 PM »
Stuck in Minneapolis.  Guess I'm eating at the "bistro" in the hotel.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #1776 on: June 06, 2016, 07:15:20 AM »
Stuck in Minneapolis.  Guess I'm eating at the "bistro" in the hotel.

How was the food during your vacation?

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #1777 on: June 06, 2016, 07:25:22 AM »
Smoked inch-thick Kansas City Strips (2 hrs low and slow, finish at 500), bacon-asparagus-mushrooms-red wine in the Dutch oven, Carnivor red wine, and an Outlaw Cigar Company Snake Oil robusto.

Looks great

Offline Big Dog

• ^^Smokes cigars and knows things.
« Reply #1778 on: June 06, 2016, 07:32:56 AM »
Government is the negation of liberty.
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #1779 on: June 06, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »
Sunday after work, Thai food.

Kanome Jeep appetizer  (Stuffed Shu Mai), Pork Pad King (Stir Fried Ginger) topped off with fresh mango w/ sweet sticky rice for desert.

http://www.chatthaibistro.com/home.html

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #1780 on: June 06, 2016, 11:22:58 PM »
Sunday after work, Thai food.

Kanome Jeep appetizer  (Stuffed Shu Mai), Pork Pad King (Stir Fried Ginger) topped off with fresh mango w/ sweet sticky rice for desert.

http://www.chatthaibistro.com/home.html

Good looking menu!

How is their Panang?

<<A sucker for good Thai food
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #1781 on: June 07, 2016, 12:52:48 AM »

How is their Panang?

The curry entrees are all served in traditional clay pots.

The Panang is really good, so is their Pad Thai.

The chef has a degree in graphic design, that is why the menu and webpage looks so nice. By far one of the nicest looking restaurant webpages I have seen in a while.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #1782 on: June 07, 2016, 12:52:55 PM »
How was the food during your vacation?
The sushi and Mexican food were excellent.  The steaks were somewhere between okay and very good.  Saltgrass in Addison is quite a bit better than Rick's Chophouse in Allen.  I had a 45-day dry aged NY strip at Rick's.  The dry aging was interesting... unfortunately, the restaurant covered it in an awful mushroom and cheese sauce.  Everything at Rick's had way too much salt on everything.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #1783 on: June 08, 2016, 10:51:17 AM »
The sushi and Mexican food were excellent.  The steaks were somewhere between okay and very good.  Saltgrass in Addison is quite a bit better than Rick's Chophouse in Allen.  I had a 45-day dry aged NY strip at Rick's.  The dry aging was interesting... unfortunately, the restaurant covered it in an awful mushroom and cheese sauce.  Everything at Rick's had way too much salt on everything.

Mushroom cheese sauce does not sound very good on a steak.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #1784 on: December 28, 2016, 09:58:18 PM »
Tenderloin strips cooked med rare. twice baked potatoes with bacon, cheese and sour cream. baked brussel sprouts in EVO and a seasoned salt. garden salad with blu cheese crumbles and dressing.

Offline Big Dog

« Reply #1785 on: December 29, 2016, 11:26:31 PM »
Tenderloin strips cooked med rare. twice baked potatoes with bacon, cheese and sour cream. baked brussel sprouts in EVO and a seasoned salt. garden salad with blu cheese crumbles and dressing.

Sounds good!
  -Ludwig von Mises

CAVE FVROREM PATIENTIS.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #1786 on: December 30, 2016, 11:41:20 PM »
Homemade beef soup made from left over prime rib from Christmas. and come thick crust bread toasted under the broiler.

Offline Karin

« Reply #1787 on: March 21, 2017, 04:31:14 PM »
Man has this thread been neglected!  Look at all the cobwebs!  This is for tonight, never done this before.

http://getinmybelly.com/honey-garlic-pork-chops/

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mOKX-TZ4n-g[/youtube]

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #1788 on: December 31, 2017, 02:58:13 PM »
New Years Eve Menu. Crock Pot pork roast served on a bed of rice smothered in gravy with a side of broccoli in cheese sauce.

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #1789 on: January 01, 2018, 02:28:40 PM »
Man has this thread been neglected!  Look at all the cobwebs!  This is for tonight, never done this before.

http://getinmybelly.com/honey-garlic-pork-chops/

[youtube]https://youtu.be/mOKX-TZ4n-g[/youtube]

Wow that looks good

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1790 on: January 08, 2023, 04:37:23 PM »
Give this thread some CPR..

https://damndelicious.net/2022/04/29/creamy-chicken-noodle-soup/

The wife is sick, so some Chicken Noodle to the rescue! This was a darn tasty recipe, in which I only made a couple minor changes. We prefer a thicker soup, or stew if you prefer. To thicken, I made a cornstarch slurry and added during the last couple of minutes of cooking.

Fantastic!

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1791 on: January 09, 2023, 08:59:20 PM »
Tonight we dine on:

Chicken Fried Steak, Mashed Taters, Greenbeans, and of course, Onion Gravy. Cant have Chicken Fried Steak and Taters without Gravy. That would be a travesty.  :panic:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1792 on: January 10, 2023, 06:41:49 AM »
No cooking for me for the next 5 days or so as Mrs E and I are traveling. We're in Florida, at her brother and SIL's house. They withstood the full brunt of Ian a couple months ago and were very lucky -- some damage, but not nearly as bad as others.

Anyway, Mrs E's SIL made a simple beef soup made with a bit of ground beef, canned tomatoes, some onion, a bay leaf, and a sachet d'Epices containing a few allspice berries. Tasted great! A salad to go with and it made for a perfect light supper.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1793 on: January 10, 2023, 04:05:13 PM »
Risotto w/ "Italian Chicken Sausage".

I adore Risotto. Cheap and flexible. Now, about the Chicken Sausage. Ill admit, im a Sausage snob. One of my hobbies is Meat Curing, so I am hard to impress. It took a lot of hunting for me to find a suitable store bought Chicken Sausage. After much searching, Publix has something I like. The main characteristic is that it is raw. Most that you buy are cured and pre-cooked. I wanted raw. Mostly because you pan cook it, retaining the limited amount of fat to enhance the Risotto. Otherwise, I buy regular Italian Pork Sausage. That works just dandy.

First step, when cooking Risotto. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Keep this seperate from the pot you build your dish in. You always want boiling water to be able to splash in, so the Risotto doesnt dry out.

Pan cook the sausage, breaking up into bite size pieces. While thats going, dice a small onion, a couple cloves of garlic, and a shallot if you have one. Toss those into the sausage. Throw in a few pinches of salt and pepper while your at it. Once the sausage is cooked, and the veggies are tender, add in the Arborio (Risotto). Toss to coat the grains. Add enough boiling water to cover.

Stir. Keep stirring. If things start drying out. Add more boiling water.

After about 20 minutes, the Risotto should be cooked. Add in a couple tablespoons of butter, and some fresh grated Parm.

Enjoy.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #1794 on: January 11, 2023, 10:30:56 AM »
Risotto w/ "Italian Chicken Sausage".

I adore Risotto. Cheap and flexible. Now, about the Chicken Sausage. Ill admit, im a Sausage snob. One of my hobbies is Meat Curing, so I am hard to impress. It took a lot of hunting for me to find a suitable store bought Chicken Sausage. After much searching, Publix has something I like. The main characteristic is that it is raw. Most that you buy are cured and pre-cooked. I wanted raw. Mostly because you pan cook it, retaining the limited amount of fat to enhance the Risotto. Otherwise, I buy regular Italian Pork Sausage. That works just dandy.

First step, when cooking Risotto. Bring a small pot of water to a boil. Keep this seperate from the pot you build your dish in. You always want boiling water to be able to splash in, so the Risotto doesnt dry out.

Pan cook the sausage, breaking up into bite size pieces. While thats going, dice a small onion, a couple cloves of garlic, and a shallot if you have one. Toss those into the sausage. Throw in a few pinches of salt and pepper while your at it. Once the sausage is cooked, and the veggies are tender, add in the Arborio (Risotto). Toss to coat the grains. Add enough boiling water to cover.

Stir. Keep stirring. If things start drying out. Add more boiling water.

After about 20 minutes, the Risotto should be cooked. Add in a couple tablespoons of butter, and some fresh grated Parm.

Enjoy.

Thanks for this!
I've never had Risotto before but with this information I'll give it a try!  :cheersmate:

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1795 on: January 12, 2023, 06:10:09 PM »
Thanks for this!
I've never had Risotto before but with this information I'll give it a try!  :cheersmate:

Youre very welcome! In place of the water, stock works very well. Chicken or Veggie stock, I prefer Chicken. Even a splash of white wine would work.

Cooking Risotto or Arborio is very similar to cooking rice. Except you DONT cover the pot. You want it at a heavy simmer. Just sorta bubbling along. Not a rapid boil. Just stir, and add more liquid if it starts to dry out. Worse case scenario, just cook off the excess liquid.

Meanwhile, tonights dinner. We ate out at a Burger Joint with our daughter who was visiting us. She only lives 45 minutes away, but its her favorite Burger place, and she doesnt have one anywhere near her house.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1796 on: January 16, 2023, 05:12:23 PM »
Grilled Cheese on my Bakery Sammich Bread. Its a white bread, with oats and wheat flake added to the dough. Its a customer favorite. Also, Tomato Basil Soup from Sams Club. Its the Members Mark brand. Comes with 2, 1 quart containers in a package. Very tasty soup.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1797 on: January 18, 2023, 05:54:02 PM »
What I like to call "Lazy Mans Chicken Parm."

Frozen Breaded Chicken Filets. Jarred Marinara. Cheese. Precooked Pasta*

Feeling extra lazy this week. It is what it is. For the Frozen Chicken, its the usual brand that starts with the letter T. Readily available in your Grocers Freezer. For the sauce, Raos Marinara. For a jarred sauce, its dang tasty.

Now, about the Precooked Pasta. My wife found it somewhere. Bought 4 packages. You just open the package, put it in your microwave for 60 seconds. Then enjoy. Except, its god awful. The mouth feel is all wrong. Its oddly wheaty. And the pasta doesnt swell up like traditional pot cooked pasta.

Needless to say, I put on a pot of pasta. The old fashioned way.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #1798 on: January 18, 2023, 08:51:08 PM »
Speaking of "lazy man's chicken pot pie", I picked up one of these pre-made pot pies from Sam's Club yesterday.

Believing them to be somewhat palatable, I was wrong. Canned chicken (and precious little of it), canned peas and carrots, canned gravy, zero flavor.

The pot pies from Costco are 1,000% better. Don't buy one of these from Sam's Club.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline RuralNc

« Reply #1799 on: January 18, 2023, 09:15:10 PM »
Speaking of "lazy man's chicken pot pie", I picked up one of these pre-made pot pies from Sam's Club yesterday.

Believing them to be somewhat palatable, I was wrong. Canned chicken (and precious little of it), canned peas and carrots, canned gravy, zero flavor.

The pot pies from Costco are 1,000% better. Don't buy one of these from Sam's Club.

Good to know. We have looked at those. On the other hand, have bought the Rotisserie Chicken Tacos.... or something like that. They were decent.