Author Topic: Thread to Watch: DUmbass petitions for congress to establish Ministry of Truth  (Read 804 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
louslobbs (2,210 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

Please Sign this Petition for Congress to enact a law to stop the lying on Radio and Television
news. If you are as sick of all the lying as I am, please sign and pass on to your friends, thanks. I don't know how much good it will do, but we've got to keep trying.

Thanks again,
Lou

http://www.facebook.com/l.php?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.change.org%2Fpetitions%2Fcongress-make-law-to-stop-lying-on-radio-and-television-news&h=VAQGzjVmdAQEtF8uCYNIRQfCKrUWirN3Dw9Y6KVYaIZsJOg

http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002402046

:popcorn:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Great idea we can even use the jury system that DUmmyland is now using to determine what is fact and fiction.  :lmao:

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline FlaGator

• Another Pilgrim
  • Democracy can survive anything except Democrats
I thought that libs believe that everyone as a different truth, that all truth is relative. With that in mind, how is a Ministry of Truth suppose to work?
"My enemy's enemy is the enemy I kill last."
Klingon Proverb.

• Global Moderator
I thought that libs believe that everyone as a different truth, that all truth is relative. With that in mind, how is a Ministry of Truth suppose to work?

Behold:

sadbear (869 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

1. As much as we want it, how would it be Constitutional?

The first amendment makes no exceptions for veracity of free speech. Or does it?

RKP5637 (18,025 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

2. Interesting point. However, they do stop the use of foul speech on the air waves. n/t

sadbear (869 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

3. I guess it's worth a shot

You can define an obscenity with the Miller rule. I suppose they can figure out how to define a lie, too.

TRANSLATION: Let's **** with everybody's fundamental rights based solely on subjective standards and see how it pans out.

Offline thundley4

I don't know what the truth is, but I know it when I see it. /DU mode

Offline DumbAss Tanker

This from the same crowd that thinks the 9th Circus was right on the Stolen Valor Act, which involves not just any old lying, but false personation and false public claims of entitlement to Federal honors.  Unbelievable.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

• Global Moderator
This from the same crowd that thinks the 9th Circus was right on the Stolen Valor Act, which involves not just any old lying, but false personation and false public claims of entitlement to Federal honors.  Unbelievable.

Not unbelievable at all.

They loathe the military, ergo anythinig that diminishes the brand--especially fraud, whether perpetrated by the military or self-serving assholes--is to be protected.

Offline Airwolf

Just what we all need .
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Oh goody.
Another worthless intertubewebs petition.  :banghead:
They never learn.
What's next? Ministry of Magic?  :mental:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Mr Mannn

Just imagine a Republican administration inheriting this law...and putting Sarah Palin as head of the ministry of truth. We could clean out ALL the liberals in the media, the paper, TV...heck even the movies.

Go ahead, guys...pass that law.

Offline Dblhaul

sounds like they want to shut down MSNBC!

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
If that was to come to pass, no dimrat anywhere could utter a word.   :lmao:

Could be a good thing.  No more Barry O pressers.   :lmao:
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Aristotelian

All truth is relative, except the truth of relativity...and that conservatives are wrong.

Those of us with logical minds can spot the slight contradiction in this...but as we all know, logic has a right-wing bias.

• Global Moderator
And they're off!

This is long but well worth the read:

sabrina 1 (24,402 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

18. Hi lou, first, I'm not sure what Constitutional issues could be raised regarding

asking that our News Media reports the truth. While the 1st Amendment doesn't say they cannot lie, it doesn't say they can either. So I think it's a fair assumption that the Founders were not promoting a lying News Media.

I understand the Constitutional issues that would be raised, but isn't it funny how the Constitution is just a "piece of paper" with respect to certain issues and then an important document to uphold with respect to others?

It's remarkable how we are so often told, eg, that the destruction of our rights is 'Constitutional' when we are 'in a time of war'. Frankly, abiding by the Constitution when there are no challenging events taking place, is easy. Imo, the protections of the Constitution are most needed when elected officials and others, use circumstances, such as terror eg, to justify ignoring our Constitutional rights.

I would love to see a challenge to Fox's claim it can lie to the people in its news coverage, a claim they made in an appeal of a law suit they initially lost, but found a sympathetic judge on appeal, to their claim that it was okay to lie about the news.

I don't know if this has ever happened before. But maybe it's way past time to establish standards for news reporting since so much is at stake for the American people who cannot make rational decisions if their sources of information are lying to them.

Thanks for the thread, I will rec and sign the petition.

The single most telling aspect of all of this is how they naturally assume THEY are the gatekeepers and arbiters of what is true. They do not consider for even half of a moment that other people are entitled to a voice. They, for the simple virtue of being themselves, are the default voice of all that is true and good.

mmonk (46,068 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

53. I disagree with the decision it cannot be legislated.

There is nothing in the Constitution that prevents standards for news. Standards do not void freedom of speech rights.

RKP5637 (18,033 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

7. Imagine if politicians were held accountable for lies! n/t

onenote (19,835 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

38. Wow. Wouldn't it have been great if Alberto Gonzalez' Justice Department

could go after Democratic candidates alleging that they've lied? And have the cases heard by courts stacked with repub appointees and the Roberts' led SCOTUS. Wouldn't that have been super!!!

sarcasm smilie not needed I hope.

freeper troll

10. +1,000,000 and many more. IMO actions such as this need to occur if we as a nation are

interested in stopping this nation from going even deeper into a pit of lies, distortions and more insanity.

32. I see the points you are making. But then, was the Fairness Doctrine unconstitutional?

I can imagine right-wingers claiming that anything that restricts Corporations from buying up any 'commodity' is unconstitutional.

Even people are commodities now. The Right's interpretation of Free Speech is 'how much money do you have', and since the SC ruled on Citizens United it appears to me that the Constitution is now meaningless in terms of protecting the rights of all citizens. It now only protects the rights of Wealthy Citizens and mostly Corporations.

How did this happen? Maybe because Corporations had already bought Congress?

Once upon a time Jim Crowe was constitutional.

onenote (19,835 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

36. It's constitutionality was last considered in almost 30 years ago

The court found the FD to be constitutional in 1969, focusing on the "scarcity" rationale. The court, however, did not rule out the possibility that in the future, technological developments might undermine this rationale.

Fifteen years later, in 1984, the court again hinted that technological developments might warrant a different outcome to a constitutional challenge to the FD, but stated that "We are not prepared, however, to reconsider our longstanding approach without some signal from Congress or the FCC that technological developments have advanced so far that some revision of the system of broadcast regulation may be required."

How the court would view the FD 30 years later in light of the explosion of content sources on cable, satellite, and the Internet is hard to predict.

In any event, as to suggestions that I've seen that the FD required truthful speech, the 1969 case made it clear that the FD didn't require truthful speech. Rather, the court stated that "It is the purpose of the First Amendment to preserve an uninhibited market-place of ideas in which truth will ultimately prevail.

So the question is whether, in light of the Internet, etc., the FD is necessary to "preserve an uninhibited market-place of ideas." I could see the current SCOTUS concluding that its not. But its not a slam dunk case either way.

24. Then there needs to be some standards that will raise the ratings of our media out

of the 40s which is where we are this year on the list of best and worst news media in the world. That means the American people have no real way of making good decisions. If the press is the 4th estate, then maybe something needs to be done so we don't have a propaganda machine instead of a news media.

I can see where you don't want to pass laws that could put people in legal jeopardy for making errors, or for not reporting news that someone feels they should have eg.

Maybe the best way is to demand that Congress restore, at the very least, the standards of fairness that were in place before the de-regulation that happened in the nineties making it possible for Corps to buy up the airwaves.

I have read eg, that over 90% of radio is spewing out rightwing talking points round the clock. So something needs to be done to get some balance back and it's way past time imo.

Aw-w-w-w....she really just cares about you.

Occulus (18,756 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

52. It depends entirely on how the Constitution is read.

Apparently, even among Democrats, a certain amount of Unconstitutionality is fine when it deals with things like carving exceptions from the due process requirement. If we are willing to accept that yelling fire in a crowded theater is not a valid form of free speech, then we can just as easily say that claiming all persons who are gay are child molesters (for example) is equally invalid.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I believe that such a law is already Constitutional.

Well that gets into how you define "gay."

If one defines "gay" as someone who enjoys sex with other persons of the same gender and has no personal control over their inclinations then while you may want "gay" to imply consenting adults you might find the net casts wider than you anticipated.

Even in then I do not trust liberals.

Case in point: liberals claim  the overwhelming majority of climatologists subscribe to the theory of athropogenic global watrming.

But then any scientist that disputes AGW is denied credentials as a climatologist.

JSnuffy (328 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

46. A few things..

1) Illegal

2) Immoral

3) Internet petitions don't do squat except maybe get you an extra season of your favorite reality show...

Kingofalldems (8,480 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

48. How is a petition to stop lying immoral?

Does this have something to do with Rush? Bet it does, you seem to like him a lot.

50. Lemme break it down for you..

Last edited Thu Mar 8, 2012, 10:26 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)

It's immoral because as much as you think you have the one and only handle on what truth is, I'm willing to bet dollars to pesos you've missed a few.

The only possible outcome of an idiotic "law" like this would be a governing body that determined what is correct and allowable and what isn't. This group would be influenced by their own prejudices, beliefs, political correctness and the issues of the day.

People who said things that were determined to be outside of the official and government sactioned statements would be fined and punished.

I guess I'm just a sucker for the first amendment and freedom of speech and thought. I'm silly that way.

Of course, that all goes out the window if you are willing to claim that you really do have the insight into the human soul to know what is right all the time. Do you? Was the plan to leave it to "someone else?"

Seriously, just a whiff of critical thinking can help you out.

mmonk (46,068 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

64. Ask Phil Donahue, Ashley Banfield, and others what happened

to them when they questioned the rationale for the invasion of Iraq.

And Michael Moore-on made a shit-ton of money off of his pack of demonstrable pack of lies in F9/11.

58. That's your made up scenario

Of course I'm pretty sure your version of the truth would be whatever Rush says.

Now check-out this takedown which starts with a shot about his opposite number's presumptive and arrogant name:

61. Ok...

"King"

Explain exactly how that law would be codified and enforced. Feel free to chunk the 1st Amendment if it makes it easier for you.

I want you to explain any other way that "law" would turn out. Maybe we could all vote on whether or not something is true?

Above all, I want to say Thanks for taking to the time to type out a reasoned and well thought out response. You really put in the effort to address the points and offer some deep insight of your own.

Oh, wait. No you didn't. You just ignored everything and called me a rushbot. Never mind...

cali (69,796 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

59. No. No way no how not now not ever.

who decides what is and isn't a lie?

What a ****ing nightmare.

When cali-mary is the voice of reason, you're ****ed.

Offline Karin

Well, good for JSnuffy.

58. That's your made up scenario

Of course I'm pretty sure your version of the truth would be whatever Rush says.

One of the more maddening characteristics of the DUmmies is their habit of countering with "Oh yeah?  You're a big stinking freeper, you repig, you republiKKKan!  You CONservative, you dittohead rethug!!!!" 

Offline VivisMom

25 signatures! Oh noes! The government will have to listen now! We're dooooooooomed!!!  :ohnoes:

Offline jukin

Orwell was a master of what eventually the lower half of the bell curve will revert to.

The regressives already have instituted the "Two Minutes of Hate."
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty

10. +1,000,000 and many more. IMO actions such as this need to occur if we as a nation are

interested in stopping this nation from going even deeper into a pit of lies, distortions and more insanity.

Pol Pot would agree.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Airwolf

Maybe they could have a cool theme song to go with it?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ[/youtube]
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Offline Karin

God, they're dumb.

Thu Mar 8, 2012, 07:15 PM
Go Vols (45 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

23. Ronnie Raygun

helped kill the Fairness Doctrine that demanded news on TV and radio to be true.

onenote (19,846 posts)
31. The Fairness Doctrine did not "demand news on TV and radio to be true."

In its entirety, the FD stated that broadcast stations "shall afford reasonable opportunity for the discussion of opposing views on issues of public importance."

In other words, it was not a "truth" requirement.

and

onenote (19,846 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

15. ...To give an example: Congressman Weiner, a person with political power, lied. The lie was exposed. But thankfully, there was no government body around deciding it was a lie or imposing any penalties as a matter of law on him for lying.  
Response to onenote (Reply #15)
Thu Mar 8, 2012, 06:41 PM
 louslobbs (2,225 posts)

17. Point taken. n/t

:panic:  You mean this could be applied to democrats, liberals, progressives, socialists, communists??????!!!!!!

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Maybe they could have a cool theme song to go with it?

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JDkdc246QQ[/youtube]

The DUmmies need something from the SS or one of the political songs, though.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Airwolf

The DUmmies need something from the SS or one of the political songs, though.

Here we go.

[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiDTDWg0pUI&feature=related[/youtube]
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 04:55:58 PM by Airwolf »
MOLON LABE

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
Just imagine a Republican administration inheriting this law...and putting Sarah Palin as head of the ministry of truth. We could clean out ALL the liberals in the media, the paper, TV...heck even the movies.

Go ahead, guys...pass that law.

No kiddin'! Wonder how their hero Ed Schultz, Maxine Waters, Cnn, Msnbc, the alphabet networks, and all kinds of libtards, would like to have this law? Heh!

Oh, we could hear the bellowing all the way up here in Idaho!

(edited to add)

Occulus (18,756 posts) Profile Journal Send DU Mail Ignore

52. It depends entirely on how the Constitution is read.

Apparently, even among Democrats, a certain amount of Unconstitutionality is fine when it deals with things like carving exceptions from the due process requirement. If we are willing to accept that yelling fire in a crowded theater is not a valid form of free speech, then we can just as easily say that claiming all persons who are gay are child molesters (for example) is equally invalid.

In fact, the more I think about it, the more I believe that such a law is already Constitutional.

I just can't believe what I'm reading!!!

What a bunch of liberal, traitorous, SOB's! Anyone not believing the country is goin' down a shithole, and liberals are lunatic unconstitutional assholes, needs to read this topic at the DUmp!

Hey franc, how 'bout droppin' a link to this on 'ol Stevie's site? Perhaps the people of Bellevue would like to see who their wanna be, Board Member hangs out with! Or maybe a screen capture! Yeah, that's the ticket, a screen cap!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 07:41:03 PM by AllosaursRus »
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!