Author Topic: primitives being tightwads, making Christmas presents instead of buying them  (Read 1707 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=236x71058

Oh my.

The wired gassy primitive, from that farmette up over there in Wisconsin, who has NOT donated to Skins's island:

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-16-09 12:27 AM
Original message

gifts from the kitchen -- are you making any this year?

This time of year when all the beautiful oranges come into the market I think about making candied orange peel for little holiday gifts. I haven't done it for a long time but oranges are 48 cents a pound this week.........

What do you make? When do you start?

Yeah, right.

The wired gassy primitive buys the oranges, eats the meat, and gives away the outside packaging as Christmas presents.

It's sort of like franksolich buying a power drill, taking it out of the box, and then giving away the box as a Christmas present.

The sour dour theologian defrocked warped primitive, who has NOT donated to Skins's island:

Warpy  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-16-09 01:00 AM
Response to Original message

1. I used to bake for the neighborhood but most of the people I liked the most have moved away.

I might still bake something for the neighbors on either side. They're still here and I still like them.

The warped primitive still likes them; as if the warped primitive expects not to some time in the future.

supernova  (1000+ posts)        Mon Nov-16-09 09:57 AM

2. I probably will be doing something

I'm cash strapped this year, unemployed, so I will be looking to the kitchen to provide gifts and heat up the house.

I've only begun to think about what I can make.

Candied orange peel is an interesting choice. I love the stuff.

edit: Other citrus sounds worth exploring, like lemon, lime, and grapefruit (too bitter?)

katkat  (628 posts)      Mon Nov-16-09 11:27 AM
Response to Reply #2

4. bake at night, use the furnace less

grasswire  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-16-09 11:48 AM
Response to Reply #2

5. not too bitter!

People love candied grapefruit peel.

And a real cool thing to do is dip half of each piece in melted chocolate. Very pretty, and delicious.

The great thing is that the gift is made up of something that would just be discarded!

You get to eat the fruit itself.

One key is to choose fruits that have nice thick skin.

The primitives most likely would also dip a t-bone steak or potato chip into chocolate.

surrealAmerican  (1000+ posts)      Mon Nov-16-09 11:15 AM

3. I'll be making cookies.

I'm thinking about trying to do some gluten-free varieties too this year for my relatives who have celiac.

AwakeAtLast  (1000+ posts)         Wed Nov-18-09 07:38 PM

6. My husband's Aunt's (RIP) Sweet Potato Bread

They are PA Dutch. It is a fantastic recipe and makes three loaves per batch!

Unfortunately it is a family recipe that he doesn't want me to share. If I find something close on the net I will post a recipe.

Some people have already told me they can't wait until I bake it again!

Doug's stupid ex-wife, who has NOT donated to Skins's island:

EFerrari  (1000+ posts)        Wed Nov-18-09 11:35 PM
Response to Reply #6

8. I WANT that recipe!. I promise I'll print it out and eat it after I use it, too!

eleny  (1000+ posts)      Wed Nov-18-09 07:45 PM

7. I want to make biscotti

Probably ones with either dried cherries or dried cranberries inside. I can make them ahead and store in tight containers.

I've never made them before but am intrigued by the two step process. My aunt used to make them and said it was fun.

Callalily  (1000+ posts)      Thu Nov-19-09 06:55 AM
Response to Reply #7

9. Bicotti is really easy to make. And a tip to speed up the baking process - after slicing the dough, stand the slices up on your baking sheet. That way both sides get bakes at the same time thus eliminating the step to "turn over and bake again". It does work, I always use this method now.

Grandma, who gets a "pass" on any sharp remarks, because she is who she is:

hippywife  (1000+ posts)        Thu Nov-19-09 07:03 AM

10. I used to practically kill myself in the kitchen every holiday making all kinds of different cookies and fudge like my gran did, and mailing them to family and friends.

Paper Roses  (342 posts)      Thu Nov-19-09 04:18 PM

12. I make a great date nut bread every Christmas. There are many people I would like to remember but cannot buy gifts for. I make the bread and deliver it a day or two before Christmas so it can be served on Christmas day. It is quick and easy.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline jukin

Welcome to Obama's economy.

No unicorns pooping Skittles for you.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
People love candied grapefruit peel.

How about apple cores and banana peels? Eggshells? Jellied chicken bones?
These people don't need disposals in their sinks - they gift wrap their garbage and give it away.

Offline kenth

How about apple cores and banana peels? Eggshells? Jellied chicken bones?
These people don't need disposals in their sinks - they gift wrap their garbage and give it away.

You, my friend, have just summed up the entire primitive raison d'être. They are the jellied chicken bones of life.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
When my ex-girlfriend's french canadian mother was a little girl in the Depression, one of the most prized gifts was an orange, and they were pleased to get it, because they knew that Santa had to carry that orange tucked under his ball sack to keep it from freezing.

Offline GOBUCKS

When my ex-girlfriend's french canadian mother was a little girl in the Depression, one of the most prized gifts was an orange, and they were pleased to get it, because they knew that Santa had to carry that orange tucked under his ball sack to keep it from freezing.

She sounds like TomInTib's crazy ex-girlfriend, the world-class skier!!

Offline ColonialMarine0431

• DEUS VULT
I thought primitives celebrated something non-secular, like Festivus.

I'll See Your Jihad and Raise You One Crusade

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
hmmmmm.....I make most of my gifts for others - outside of immediate family - in my kitchen.   :shucks:

I have also been in specialty chocolate shops that sell potato chips ....Pringles or Ruffles work best...dipped in chocolate.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline GOBUCKS

hmmmmm.....I make most of my gifts for others - outside of immediate family - in my kitchen.   :shucks:

I have also been in specialty chocolate shops that sell potato chips ....Pringles or Ruffles work best...dipped in chocolate.
Home made pastries and candies are great. The DUmmies are talking about scraping their garbage into gift boxes. Eat the fruit and make a gift of the peelings.

And chocolate-covered chips or Fritos sound pretty darn good. Actually, dipping in chocolate ranks up there with bacon bits and melted cheese when it comes to methods for improving food.

Offline jukin

It's been a Jukin family tradition to make homemade Kahlua for over thirty years.  Yes it kicks way more of punch than the mexican variety and our circle of friends have  come to expect it. 

Traditions are good.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
homemade Kahlua

Now THAT sounds like a gift I'd like to get.  I can't specifically remember what Kahlua tastes like, but free alcohol is always appreciated.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
It's been a Jukin family tradition to make homemade Kahlua for over thirty years.  Yes it kicks way more of punch than the mexican variety and our circle of friends have  come to expect it. 

Traditions are good.

Now, how does one go about making kahlua?  :uhsure:

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
That thread reminded me of a plaque I had in my kitchen.

It said :

I love to give homemade gifts.
Which one of my children do you want ?

Homemade Kahlua sounds real good.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
Now, how does one go about making kahlua?  :uhsure:

I might have to try this... with real coffee rather than instant of course.

4 c. sugar
2 oz. instant coffee
2 vanilla beans, cut into 1" pieces
4 c. water
1 pt. brandy
Boil 1/2 cup water and dissolve coffee. Combine sugar, 3 1/2 cups water and bring to rolling boil. Add coffee and let cool. Add brandy and vanilla beans. Makes 2 quarts. Age for 1 month in closed container. (The older it gets, the better!)

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,163,146185-252199,00.html

They've got a bunch of different recipes here.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,homemade_kahlua,FF.html
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
I might have to try this... with real coffee rather than instant of course.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,163,146185-252199,00.html

They've got a bunch of different recipes here.

http://www.cooks.com/rec/search/0,1-0,homemade_kahlua,FF.html

Mike....it you use just a half cup of regular brewed coffee....it won't be the same.

Recipe is 2 oz of instant dissolved in 1/2 cup of water. I don't drink coffee...but that ratio would be pretty strong. I think it would be a rather dense consistency.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
:rotf: Hopefully Santa trimmed up and put some powder on before hand! :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Karin

GOBUCKS, too funny about the apples cores and banana peels.  If I received citrus peelings as a gift, I would politely thank them, then later, throw it away and laugh.  Let's see, what clever crafts can I make from these empty catfood cans?  Some sort of ornament? 

I once got a homemade Kaluha for Christmas, it was very good, but I could never get the bottle back open.  The sugar had "glued" it hopelessly tight.  How does one solve that?  It's a great gift idea.

We make the beloved beef jerky for extended family.  It's the only thing anybody really wants. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.

I once got a homemade Kaluha for Christmas, it was very good, but I could never get the bottle back open.  The sugar had "glued" it hopelessly tight.  How does one solve that?  It's a great gift idea.

Ive solved this problem on a bottle of Cask & Cream by inverting the bottle into boiling water for a couple of minutes.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Ive solved this problem on a bottle of Cask & Cream by inverting the bottle into boiling water for a couple of minutes.

Even just running it under hot water from the faucet will work.

Just enough to melt the sugar seal.

Happens with any sweet liquor, syrup, etc....because who ever remembers to wipe the top before putting the cap back on.  :thatsright:

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
GOBUCKS, too funny about the apples cores and banana peels.  If I received citrus peelings as a gift, I would politely thank them, then later, throw it away and laugh.  Let's see, what clever crafts can I make from these empty catfood cans?  Some sort of ornament? 

We make the beloved beef jerky for extended family.  It's the only thing anybody really wants.

As for the candied orange peels, one has to consider these are primitives.

If a decent and civilized person presented me with candied orange peels, I'd have no problem with it, and in fact enjoy them.

But these are primitives, one of whose principal characteristics is looking out for themselves first.

And so if one gets candied orange peels from a primitive, it should be obvious that the primitive only wanted to chomp down on the orange inside the peel, and as an afterthought decided to make something of the packaging, to give as a "gift."

Motive is everything, and best to remain dubious of a "homemade" present by a primitive.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.

Even just running it under hot water from the faucet will work.

Just enough to melt the sugar seal.

Happens with any sweet liquor, syrup, etc....because who ever remembers to wipe the top before putting the cap back on.  :thatsright:

Normally that works, yes - but this bottle was stuck fast - and there was no way it was going to stay sealed   :-)

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
We made homemade kahlua one year.. ended up costing about twice as much as just buying Kahlua. It was pretty good, but considering the cost, and my proximity to a number of duty free stores, I'd just buy the commercial product for gifts in the future.

Kahlua is great over vanilla ice cream btw.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Normally that works, yes - but this bottle was stuck fast - and there was no way it was going to stay sealed   :-)

I totally understand.... :-)