Author Topic: State's Attorney Considers Prosecuting ACORN Video Posters  (Read 3165 times)

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
State's Attorney Considers Prosecuting ACORN Video Posters
« on: September 11, 2009, 07:12:50 PM »
State's Attorney Considers Prosecuting ACORN Video Posters

LINK

Friday, September 11, 2009
Anne Kramer, Robert Lang and Associated Press

<excerpt>

The activist group ACORN has fired two employees of its Baltimore office who were seen on hidden-camera video giving advice to a man posing as a pimp and a woman posing as a prostitute.

<snip>

The Baltimore city state's attorney is considering prosecuting those responsible for taping the ACORN employees on charges that they violated Maryland's wiretap laws.
STATEMENT OF STATE’S ATTORNEYS OFFICE FOR BALTIMORE CITY RELATIVE TO THE ALLEGED BALTIMORE ACORN INCIDENT

Baltimore, MD – September 11, 2009 – We have received inquiries from citizens and the media asking whether the Baltimore City State’s Attorneys Office would initiate a criminal investigation for acts allegedly committed at ACORN offices located in Baltimore.  The only information received in reference to this alleged criminal behavior was a YouTube video.  Upon review by this office, the video appears to be incomplete.  In addition, the audio portion could possibly have been obtained in violation of Maryland Law, Annotated Code of Maryland Courts and Judicial Proceedings Article §10-402, which requires two party consent.

If it is determined that the audio portion now being heard on YouTube was illegally obtained, it is also illegal under Maryland Law to willfully use or willfully disclose the content of said audio.  The penalty for the unlawful interception, disclosure or use of it is a felony punishable up to 5 years.

==========================================================================================

(edit: emphasis mine.)

Yep--you read that right.  They want to prosecute the people who took the video--NOT the real criminals.  It's official.  The entire world has gone insane.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: State's Attorney Considers Prosecuting ACORN Video Posters
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 07:15:59 PM »
Tell me, Mr. Moonbat attorney, just which wire was illegally tapped exactly?
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 07:38:29 PM »
This particular bizarre law came up during the Lewinsky investigation, where a Marylan prosecutor was going to go after Linda Tripp for recording her phone conversations with Monica...something that is not objectionable at all under Federal law.  It turns out that one of Maryland's previous crooked-as-a-dog's-hind-leg governors had been caught in a Federally-legal recorded phone conversation being as corrupt as Blago.  The Maryland state government's reaction?  Make it illegal to catch their thieving asses in the future!
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 07:44:55 PM »
Laws like that tend to protect the guilty. That would leave out one heck of a lot of investigative journalism.  I wonder if Michael Mooreon violated any wiretapping laws while making his movies.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 08:31:51 PM »
According to Judge Napolitano, that law does not apply to video tapes. Only audio-only tapes.

No pony for you Mr. Prosecutor.

Offline ATTC

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 08:34:39 PM »
Laws like that tend to protect the guilty. That would leave out one heck of a lot of investigative journalism.  I wonder if Michael Mooreon violated any wiretapping laws while making his movies.

C'mon now, liberals can only be guilty of loving this country too much... /sarc

Crimes, fuh-ged-abowdit.
Where'd I go wrong? /sarc

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 09:11:07 PM »
Typical thug behavior.

They won't boot Rangel but Joe Wilson could get punished. They won't go after ACORN but those who exposed them might be charged.

It's upside down and backwards.

It's leftism.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 09:12:56 PM »
According to Judge Napolitano, that law does not apply to video tapes. Only audio-only tapes.

No pony for you Mr. Prosecutor.

But they said they may charge them over the audio portion of the tape.

Thug Life
protect the guilty.

Leftism.

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 09:37:14 PM »
But they said they may charge them over the audio portion of the tape.

Thug Life
protect the guilty.

Leftism.

Well he can try to prosecute them, but I'm pretty sure any defense attorney who is not a drunken fool is going to get it dismissed.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 10:20:10 PM »
Well he can try to prosecute them, but I'm pretty sure any defense attorney who is not a drunken fool is going to get it dismissed.

be tough to find a jury who would convict them when they were saying they were going to be doing what is essentially sex slavery and the ACORN women....instead of getting angry and threatening to turn them in....were thinking of a "category" in which to qualify the "business"....
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 11:04:03 PM »
WTH?
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2009, 12:35:17 AM »

Not too hard to find an ACORN-loving judge and they'll likely get an all-black jury, it will be made into a racial thing, you can count on that.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 05:28:21 AM »
Myrtardom......Depositions......Backlash............Jury of Peers........ :popcorn:

Bring it.  I can hardly imagine the size of the defense fund and the media splash this will make.  It will sure grab more press above the fold than what this issue currently gets in the Lamestream Media.  I say bring it and let the people decide in. 
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline WMD Owl

« Reply #13 on: September 12, 2009, 08:03:39 AM »
I read the law, I don't think it applies to videotapes--otherwise everyone using a video camera would be charged.

And besides, this babe would never get convicted.

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #14 on: September 12, 2009, 09:36:33 AM »
I read the law, I don't think it applies to videotapes--otherwise everyone using a video camera would be charged.

And besides, this babe would never get convicted.

I just watched the Hannity video. She and O'Keefe struck me as very poised and very professional. This idea was brilliant. The fact that they brought in the notion of the smuggling of underage sex slaves was absolute brilliance, I think the child welfare aspect will certainly aid in their defense of any wrong-doing.

I have hope in the future when I see young kids like this, honestly, their parents should be very proud. 
“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€

Offline Freeper

• Topic Moderator
  • Creepy ass cracker.
« Reply #15 on: September 12, 2009, 10:33:09 AM »
Typical of the left when they caught breaking the law they try to prosecute those who caught them.

I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #16 on: September 12, 2009, 05:54:27 PM »
I just watched the Hannity video. She and O'Keefe struck me as very poised and very professional. This idea was brilliant. The fact that they brought in the notion of the smuggling of underage sex slaves was absolute brilliance, I think the child welfare aspect will certainly aid in their defense of any wrong-doing.

I have hope in the future when I see young kids like this, honestly, their parents should be very proud.

+1

Offline Gratiot

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2009, 05:57:45 PM »
Tell me, Mr. Moonbat attorney, just which wire was illegally tapped exactly?

Shockingly, actual wires or phone lines are not always necessary to convict someone on a wire tapping charge.  In several states, wire tapping laws also extend to electronic recordings without the expressed permission of all parties.  It's a murky area of the law.  There's been some shocking court cases over it to.  Including a new england man whom received a felony conviction for recording a police officer admit that he was framing him for a crime he didn't commit.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2009, 06:07:03 PM »
Shockingly, actual wires or phone lines are not always necessary to convict someone on a wire tapping charge.  In several states, wire tapping laws also extend to electronic recordings without the expressed permission of all parties.  It's a murky area of the law.  There's been some shocking court cases over it to.  Including a new england man whom received a felony conviction for recording a police officer admit that he was framing him for a crime he didn't commit.

From what I read about the law in Maryland, it goes so far as to making a transcription of the audio illegal.  That is almost paramount to making much of court testimony illegal. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2009, 07:52:24 PM »
The undercover reporters will probably be prosecuted, by the Baltimore City States Attorney.  She's an 0Bamabot.
[youtube=425,350]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EWObhMmrq4[/youtube]

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2009, 11:14:33 PM »

In a shocking twist to Thursday's ACORN sting video story, the Baltimore city state's attorney is considering charging the two people that exposed the activity.

As NewsBusters has been reporting, Hannah Giles and James O'Keefe (pictured right) caught on video several ACORN representatives giving them advice as to how to get a loan to purchase a house to be used as a brothel whose employees would be under-aged illegal immigrants.

Despite the long list of laws possibly broken by these ACORN representatives, the Baltimore city state's attorneys office is looking into whether or not Giles and O'Keefe violated statutes concerning taping people without their consent.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/noel-sheppard/2009/09/12/maryland-may-prosecute-acorn-sting-video-makers
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #21 on: September 13, 2009, 12:10:03 AM »
Jessamy will do whatever her Lord and Master tells her to do.   :bow:   Since taking office Jessamy has created a special gun prosecuting unit, a wiretapping unit, and several community-outreach programs.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 12:23:13 AM by Alpha Mare »
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline WMD Owl

« Reply #22 on: September 13, 2009, 12:49:55 AM »
It won't fly.  I read the statute, and I don't see where this falls within its scope. 

A couple of "Legal Eagles" on Fox agree as well.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #23 on: September 13, 2009, 04:33:28 AM »
It won't fly.  I read the statute, and I don't see where this falls within its scope. 

A couple of "Legal Eagles" on Fox agree as well.

I sincerely hope it doesn't.  Wasn't the current law in Maryland passed after the Clinton/Lewinski fiasco?

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #24 on: September 13, 2009, 09:59:30 AM »
I love how Obama has brought and spread Gangland Style politics all across the nation - Anytime someone shakes Obama's monkeycage the screams of Vendetta! Vendetta ! can be heard far and wide across the leftist groups and supporters.

It used to just be Racist ! Racist ! but that seems to be losing any value since its become overused. Now they need to resort to stricter measures.

Asshats all.