Author Topic: Trial delayed for UT student charged with hacking Palin's email  (Read 550 times)

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Trial delayed for UT student charged with hacking Palin's email
« on: November 15, 2008, 09:47:27 AM »
A U.S. district magistrate judge today pushed back the trial date for a University of Tennessee student accused of accessing Alaska Gov. Sarah Palin's private e-mail account.

Magistrate Judge Clifford Shirley set a May 19 trial date for David C. Kernell, 20, before U.S. District Judge Thomas Phillips.

Defense attorney Wade Davies and Assistant U.S. Attorney Greg Weddle told Shirley a delay was necessary because the case involved computers and almost all the evidence in the case comes from computers, requiring the use of experts skilled in forensic analysis of such equipment.

Shirley asked Kernell if he was okay with a delay.

"Mr. Kernell, you understand in federal court you have the right to a speedy trial," Shirley said.

"I have no objections," Kernell responded about his trial being moved from Dec. 16.

Davies is seeking to have the felony charge dropped and to ban prosecutors from labelling Kernell a "hacker."

Kernell, whose father is Democratic state Rep. Mike Kernell of Memphis, is accused of figuring out the Republican vice presidential candidate's password and accessing her e-mail account.

http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2008/nov/14/ut-student-trying-get-palin-e-mail-charge-tossed/
 :whatever: :thatsright:
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle