Author Topic: Foreign Accent Syndrome Gives Sufferers an International Sound  (Read 864 times)

Offline Tess Anderson

Foreign Accent Syndrome Gives Sufferers an International Sound
« on: November 14, 2008, 10:38:43 PM »
What the HELL?:

CindyLou Romberg sounds like she could be from any number of exotic countries around the world. She sometimes rolls her "R"s like a Russian, chops syllables like a German or turns an unsuspecting "W" into a "V," like a Swede.

But Romberg is not Russian, German or Swedish. In fact, she has never even left her tiny hometown of Port Angeles, Wash.

Romberg suffers from what doctors call Foreign Accent Syndrome, or FAS, an extremely rare brain disorder that, as the name implies, causes its sufferers to speak as if they are from a foreign country.

"We'll be in the grocery store and someone will come up and say, 'Oh, you have a beautiful accent. Where are you from?'" Romberg told "Good Morning America."

The syndrome is likely related to an accident in 1981 when CindyLou suffered a depressed skull fracture after falling out of a moving truck, scientists say. She recovered from a severe brain injury, and spoke normally until just two years ago when she lost her voice for a couple of days after a visit with a chiropractor.

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6241218

As far as syndromes go, I don't really see what's so bad about this. It's just weird.

Offline bijou

Re: Foreign Accent Syndrome Gives Sufferers an International Sound
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2008, 03:49:05 AM »
What the HELL?:

http://www.abcnews.go.com/GMA/story?id=6241218

As far as syndromes go, I don't really see what's so bad about this. It's just weird.
If it's the only remaining symptom of a brain injury, it's definitely not the worst thing ever. But I can see how it would be a tad irritating to live with a 'comedy accent', if she was stuck with just one then it might not be so bad.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2008, 11:37:49 AM »
People tell me I have a strange accent--of course, I'm the only person I know who doesn't use the words "wicked" and "eh" every sentence.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Schadenfreude

« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2008, 12:16:14 PM »
Some people  :uhsure: are convinced I sound like Frances McDormand on Fargo.

Silly peeps.  :lmao:

“Imperfection is beauty, madness is genius and it's better to be absolutely ridiculous than absolutely boring.â€