Author Topic: Mysterious Cargo Aboard Iranian Ship Seized by Pirates Raises WMD Concerns  (Read 3203 times)

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
As Somali pirates brazenly maintain their standoff with American warships off the coast of Africa, the cargo aboard one Iranian ship they commandeered is raising concerns that it may contain materials that can be used for chemical or biological weapons.

Some local officials suspect that instead of finding riches, the pirates encountered deadly chemical agents aboard the Iranian vessel.

On Aug. 21, the pirates, armed with AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenades, stole onto the decks of the merchant vessel Iran Deyanat.

They ransacked the ship and searched the containers. But in the days following the hijacking, a number of them fell ill and died, suffering skin burns and hair loss, according to reports.

The pirates were sickened because of their contact with the seized cargo, according to Hassan Osman, the Somali minister of Minerals and Oil, who met with the pirates to facilitate negotiations.

"That ship is unusual," Osman told the Long War Journal, an online news source that covers the War on Terror. "It is not carrying a normal shipment."

The pirates reportedly were in talks to sell the ship back to Iran, but the deal fell through when the pirates were poisoned by the cargo, according to Andrew Mwangura, director of the Kenya-based East African Seafarers' Assistance Program.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,430681,00.html
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
Re: Mysterious Cargo Aboard Iranian Ship Seized by Pirates Raises WMD Concerns
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2008, 02:06:50 PM »
The pirates reportedly were in talks to sell the ship back to Iran

How do you sell back that which you stole?  :mental: :thatsright:

Now they're in the shitter with the "illnesses"   :evillaugh:
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2008, 02:13:56 PM »
The pirates reportedly were in talks to sell the ship back to Iran

How do you sell back that which you stole?  :mental: :thatsright:

Now they're in the shitter with the "illnesses"   :evillaugh:

Today's Darwin Award winners.....

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2008, 04:35:42 PM »
Sink the ****er.  Takes care of both the weapons and the pirates with one torp.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Jim

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2008, 04:55:16 PM »

Seems like the obvious answer.  Or you could just starve them out if they don't die from whatever cooties are on that tub.
My fellow Americans, there is nothing audacious about hope. Hope is what makes people buy lottery tickets instead of paying the bills. Hope is for the old gals feeding the slots in Atlantic City. It destroys the inner-city kid who quits school because he hopes he'll be a world-famous recording artist.

What's the difference between Sarah Palin and Barack Obama?

One is a well turned-out, good-looking, and let's be honest, pretty sexy piece of eye-candy.

The other kills her own food.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2008, 05:01:34 PM »

Seems like the obvious answer.  Or you could just starve them out if they don't die from whatever cooties are on that tub.

Well, honestly I'd like to see the pirates crawl to the rail, begging for help, and then send in a crew with rad meters, sniffers, and full hazmat gear to figure out what the Hell it is, and document the crap out of it while ordering everyone else to stand off due to the 'hazard to shipping.'  Problem is that if the Iranians or their appointed reps (Like the Russkiis) show up and demand to take over, our legal basis to do that pretty much goes away.  I'd rather we sort of covertly open up the bottom with a little SEAL-planted explosive than let the bastards get it back, if any Iranians happen to be on board at the time that would be a bonus.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2008, 05:04:29 PM »

Well, honestly I'd like to see the pirates crawl to the rail, begging for help, and then send in a crew with rad meters, sniffers, and full hazmat gear to figure out what the Hell it is, and document the crap out of it while ordering everyone else to stand off due to the 'hazard to shipping.'  Problem is that if the Iranians or their appointed reps (Like the Russkiis) show up and demand to take over, our legal basis to do that pretty much goes away.  I'd rather we sort of covertly open up the bottom with a little SEAL-planted explosive than let the bastards get it back, if any Iranians happen to be on board at the time that would be a bonus.

Sounds like something we need to do while our legal basis is :"We were here first".
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2008, 05:05:27 PM »
My thoughts exactly.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2008, 05:45:40 PM »
On Aug. 21, the pirates, armed with AK-47s and rocket-propelled grenades, stole onto the decks of the merchant vessel Iran Deyanat.

They ransacked the ship and searched the containers. But in the days following the hijacking, a number of them fell ill and died, suffering skin burns and hair loss, according to reports.

The pirates were sickened because of their contact with the seized cargo, according to Hassan Osman, the Somali minister of Minerals and Oil, who met with the pirates to facilitate negotiations.

Gives me pause to wonder if maybe that Somali that was found dead of cyanide poisoning in Denver, with a couple pounds of cyanide in his hotel room with him a couple of weeks before the DNC Convention wasn't from the same crop as these - dearly departed - idiots.

If the FBI is saying "It's not terrorists, there's nothing to see here" I'm starting to think that it's most likely terrorists.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2008, 05:50:39 PM »
I wonder if the former dictator of Iraq sent his shit to Iran
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2008, 05:52:01 PM »

The general concensus is that he shipped 'em to Syria.  Which is almost the same thing.

Offline Crazy Horse

• Army 0 Navy 34
  • Topic Moderator
  • Sex, Booze and Bacon Minion
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2008, 06:56:38 PM »

The general concensus is that he shipped 'em to Syria.  Which is almost the same thing.

Yeah I know that................but still have questions about Iranian ships having WMD (so it's thought)
You got off your ass, now get your wife off her back.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2008, 11:44:15 AM »

Yeah I know that................but still have questions about Iranian ships having WMD (so it's thought)

If shipped from Iran, I would hazard a guess that it is likely reactor waste, or trash from their enrichment projects.......

doc

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2008, 11:48:24 AM »

If shipped from Iran, I would hazard a guess that it is likely reactor waste, or trash from their enrichment projects.......

doc

"Dirty Bomb" materials?

Offline Chris_

« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »

doc

"Dirty Bomb" materials?

Quite possibly.....based on the reports so far, what ever it is, it emits high enough levels of radiation to kill within a few hours.......low-level waste won't do that, at least it won't unless you either eat it or sleep in it.....but these are Somalis.....they ain't exactly the pennacle of intellectual evolution......

doc

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2008, 12:29:08 PM »

doc

"Dirty Bomb" materials?

Quite possibly.....based on the reports so far, what ever it is, it emits high enough levels of radiation to kill within a few hours.......low-level waste won't do that, at least it won't unless you either eat it or sleep in it.....but these are Somalis.....they ain't exactly the pennacle of intellectual evolution......

doc

Yeah, but one would hope they'd be smart enough to treat it a little gingerly, once the first 2 or 3 peckers started falling off.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2008, 12:36:08 PM »

Yeah, but one would hope they'd be smart enough to treat it a little gingerly, once the first 2 or 3 peckers started falling off.

Unfortunately by the time the first one fell off.....it is way too late for the others......

doc

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2008, 01:26:39 PM »
True, doc, rad poisoning is quite insidious.  Unless you go in expecting it and set up a hot line and dosimetry, by the time anyone figures out what it is, it's pretty much too late.  The ship may be big enough that only those breaking into the cargo got heavily exposed, but with pirates it seems a lot more likely that monkey curiousity and self-interest would have gotten all of them checking out anything that was broken open. 

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2008, 01:37:07 PM »
All I can think of while reading this is one film quote.
"You are, without doubt, the worst pirate I've ever heard of." - James Norrington - Pirates of the Caribbean

Regardless how this turns out, it looks like this is going to be quite the embarrassment for the owner of the cargo.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2008, 10:19:47 AM »
You know its bad when its not even safe to be a pirate anymore.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.