Author Topic: Democrats add billions to stopgap bill ($56B "stimulus", plus oil shale BAN)  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
I don't get it.  is harry reid suicidal, or stupid?  adding $56B worth of pure pork, when they are talking about a
$700B financial rescue bill right down the street?  and I thought the dems got the message as far as drilling
in general goes, but I was wrong.

Democrats add billions to stopgap bill
Say funding a raft of special projects would stimulate economy

Even as Congress moves to bail out Wall Street, congressional Democrats called Thursday for billions more in taxpayer dollars to be spent on private shipyards, a new Department of Homeland Security headquarters and hybrid car batteries - all to get the economy going.

As part of their massive new spending plan, Senate Democrats also proposed continuing a ban on U.S. oil shale, a resource Republicans said leaves hundreds of millions of barrels of oil off limits, just a day after the House agreed to lift a ban on oil shale exploration.

Those are all part of a $56.2 billion economic stimulus package Democrats in the Senate have crafted and are considering attaching to a must-pass stopgap measure to keep the government running past Sept. 30, when the fiscal year ends. As of Thursday evening, they had not made a final decision.

"We must not forget Main Street as we work to address the crisis on Wall Street," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat. "Democrats believe that we must urgently pass another economic recovery package that will create hundreds of thousands of good-paying American jobs and prevent cuts in critical services for millions of Americans."

Republicans, though, said by extending the oil shale moratorium, Democrats are leaving some good jobs on the table.

"Senator Reid's move to reinstate the ban on oil shale energy production is an insult to the American people and yet another example of Democrats acting to make energy more expensive for working families and small businesses," said House Minority Leader John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican.

More
« Last Edit: September 26, 2008, 08:10:58 AM by Wretched Excess »

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
How low will they stoop?
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Woody

How low will they stoop?

This was rhetorical, right?  Everyone knows that the key to being a liberal is that you have no sense of shame.   :p
Those who see their lives as spoiled and wasted crave equality and fraternity more than they do freedom. If they clamor for freedom, it is but freedom to establish equality and uniformity. The passion for equality is partly a passion for anonymity: to be one thread of the many which make up a tunic; one thread not distinguishable from the others. No one can then point us out, measure us against others and expose our inferiority.
-Eric Hoffer, "The True Believer", 1951

Offline Willow

• Limousine
I don't get it.  is harry reid suicidal, or stupid?  adding $56B worth of pure pork, when they are talking about a
$700B financial rescue bill right down the street?  and I thought the dems got the message as far as drilling
in general goes, but I was wrong.

Democrats add billions to stopgap bill
Say funding a raft of special projects would stimulate economy

Even as Congress moves to bail out Wall Street, congressional Democrats called Thursday for billions more in taxpayer dollars to be spent on private shipyards, a new Department of Homeland Security headquarters and hybrid car batteries - all to get the economy going.

As part of their massive new spending plan, Senate Democrats also proposed continuing a ban on U.S. oil shale, a resource Republicans said leaves hundreds of millions of barrels of oil off limits, just a day after the House agreed to lift a ban on oil shale exploration.

Those are all part of a $56.2 billion economic stimulus package Democrats in the Senate have crafted and are considering attaching to a must-pass stopgap measure to keep the government running past Sept. 30, when the fiscal year ends. As of Thursday evening, they had not made a final decision.

"We must not forget Main Street as we work to address the crisis on Wall Street," said Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid, Nevada Democrat. "Democrats believe that we must urgently pass another economic recovery package that will create hundreds of thousands of good-paying American jobs and prevent cuts in critical services for millions of Americans."

Republicans, though, said by extending the oil shale moratorium, Democrats are leaving some good jobs on the table.

"Senator Reid's move to reinstate the ban on oil shale energy production is an insult to the American people and yet another example of Democrats acting to make energy more expensive for working families and small businesses," said House Minority Leader John A. Boehner, Ohio Republican.

More

well, we know he is stupid and we can hope for suicidal!  :lmao:

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
If this bill is so important then why don't they put forth bill with nothing else on it?

Because it's not so important?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
If this bill is so important then why don't they put forth bill with nothing else on it?

Because it's not so important?

No, because they think we're idiots and won't notice.  Really, it's a lose/lose for the GOP.  If McCain gets them to vote for it, he'll be targeted as a porkbarrel spender for pushing the bill.  If he gets them to vote against it, he'll be labeled as insensitive and ignorant on the economy.  And if he does nothing and it gets to Bush's desk, regardless of whether it's passed or vetoed, the Dems will again claim that McCain is just Bush's lapdog.

We've got a country and an economy to save and these ****ers are only interested in playing politics.  Makes me want to hang out in the Senate parking garage with a sockful of quarters sometimes.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
How low will they stoop?

Low enough to give ACORN $140B of that money.  Trust me, if the average American knew what ACORN was really all about, you'd have open revolt in the streets today.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
We've got a country and an economy to save and these ****ers are only interested in playing politics.  Makes me want to hang out in the Senate parking garage with a sockful of quarters sometimes.

A Louisville Slugger makes a much better statement and you wont have his "entourage" getting in your way when the chase the quarters that spill out.

:-)
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline Happy Fun Ball

$56 billion stimulus bill fails in Senate
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - The Senate on Friday blocked a $56.2 billion economic stimulus package that would have extended unemployment benefits, increased food aid and funded new construction projects to create jobs.

The 52-42 vote fell short of the 60 votes needed in the 100-member Senate for Democrats to clear a Republican procedural hurdle and move toward passage of the bill, which backers said would give the ailing U.S. economy a needed boost.

The House of Representatives plans to consider a slightly different stimulus package as soon as Friday afternoon but chances of any stimulus bill becoming law appear slim as the White House has threatened a veto.

The bill would have kept in place a ban on development of domestic oil shale deposits that expires next week.

Offline Willow

• Limousine
How low will they stoop?

Low enough to give ACORN $140B of that money.  Trust me, if the average American knew what ACORN was really all about, you'd have open revolt in the streets today.

Oh believe me I know what ACORN is all about, they register dead people, they are race baiters..