Author Topic: Old fly rod  (Read 567187 times)

Offline catsmtrods

Re: Old fly rod
« Reply #100 on: October 04, 2013, 04:46:16 PM »
Your done! How long before your looking for a planing form or a Morgan Mill?  :popcorn:
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #101 on: October 05, 2013, 11:45:04 PM »
I picked up another John Channer built rod last week. It had been made for a friend of mine in MO, then sold to another friend in CO and last week brought to Idaho so I could try it. It worked for me! It is a 7'-6" 3wt, 2/2. This is the third Channer I have added to my quiver. Reading the serial # this rod was made in 2003. I fished it with a 4wt silk line and it handled wind , rain and 18" westslope cuttys quite well!

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #102 on: October 07, 2013, 09:54:12 AM »
I picked up another John Channer built rod last week. It had been made for a friend of mine in MO, then sold to another friend in CO and last week brought to Idaho so I could try it. It worked for me! It is a 7'-6" 3wt, 2/2. This is the third Channer I have added to my quiver. Reading the serial # this rod was made in 2003. I fished it with a 4wt silk line and it handled wind , rain and 18" westslope cuttys quite well!

Nice!

I now have a penchant for Granger rods, W&M's or by the man himself. Gonna see if a Granger Victory on CL is worth a shit or not.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2013, 10:54:27 AM »
I now have a penchant for Granger rods, W&M's or by the man himself. Gonna see if a Granger Victory on CL is worth a shit or not.

Guess what? SCORE!

$50:

Looks like it's got the original bag, tube, and the rod is in very good condition. I couldn't hep myself.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #104 on: October 10, 2013, 09:50:33 AM »
BTW, the Stream and Lake rod will probably get a re-finish and might turn into a gift for my daughter's boy friend. He's a really good kid.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #105 on: October 21, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
I took the Victory out fishing this past Saturday. Damn, damn, damn. Goodwin really knew what he was doing.
What a pleasure to fish and it's from 1937-38.   :)

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #106 on: October 22, 2013, 07:52:30 AM »
I took the Victory out fishing this past Saturday. Damn, damn, damn. Goodwin really knew what he was doing.
What a pleasure to fish and it's from 1937-38.   :)
I'm wondering how in the world does the rod maintain flexibility after that many years.
I know bamboo can do funny things. Just seems odd.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #107 on: October 22, 2013, 01:59:27 PM »
I'm wondering how in the world does the rod maintain flexibility after that many years.
I know bamboo can do funny things. Just seems odd.

"Cane" rods are funny like that. They don't get brittle, though you would think they would.

Right now I'm reading Michael Sinclair's book, "Goodwin Granger, The rod man from Denver" One of the interesting things about Granger rods, the dry air in Denver kept the bamboo from shrinking after a rod was constructed. They were completely dry. None of Goodwins rod ferrules were ever pinned, a common practice among other rod builders of the day. His were pressed on and the NS (nickle silver) formed to fit the bamboo. To this day it is very rare to have a Granger ferrule come loose. Another good thing is the resistance to "set" (bends or kinks in the rod from use) the Granger rods have.  That's one of the reasons I can buy a rod from the late 30's and just take it out and fish it. Mine has a slight set to one tip (give the poor thing a break, it's 75 years old!), but it does not affect it's performance.
That cannot be said of the South Bend, Montague and Heddon rods I have.

BTW, Cats, this rod (it's a 6 wt, I use a DT floating line) can go from tossing a wet/dry 10-15 ft for close shots with delicacy to being a "cannon" for long casts. Amazing. It shows that Goodwin loved his "tournament" tapers and brought that to his "regular" rods.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013, 02:06:09 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #108 on: October 23, 2013, 07:58:52 PM »
Thanks for the info.  I spent 37 years in Colo., and never took to fly fishing. I was more ultra-light spinning with 2 and 4 pound test.
I did try it. For some reason, I just couldn't master the technique. It takes some skill I'm not suited for.
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #109 on: October 24, 2013, 04:32:06 AM »
I don't get to handle many Granger rods. Seems availability is geographical. 
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #110 on: October 24, 2013, 09:53:07 AM »
I don't get to handle many Granger rods. Seems availability is geographical. 

Could be. They are quite "magical". Even the W&M era rods are very good. But they did maintain the tapers, except for the two piece rods that were designed by Phillipson.
 I am surprised that you don't see many, they (Granger and then Wright & McGill) made scads of the the lower grade rods, Specials, Victory's, Stream & Lake...etc..

Personally I prefer the pre-war rods.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #111 on: November 22, 2013, 06:42:41 AM »
You mentioned in one of my posts that you were looking for a correct thread to complete a project.
I'm guessing that would be silk thread, of a certain color.
I figure you do more restoration rather than rebuild. Am I close?

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #112 on: November 22, 2013, 12:09:19 PM »
You mentioned in one of my posts that you were looking for a correct thread to complete a project.
I'm guessing that would be silk thread, of a certain color.
I figure you do more restoration rather than rebuild. Am I close?

Yup! However the Stream and Lake that I need to re-do used nylon thread. W&M were the ones that went to nylon.  The only issue is if I don't re-wrap the entire rod, it's tough to match the color. The thread is out there, I'm just still looking.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #113 on: November 22, 2013, 11:30:46 PM »

Yup! However the Stream and Lake that I need to re-do used nylon thread. W&M were the ones that went to nylon.  The only issue is if I don't re-wrap the entire rod, it's tough to match the color. The thread is out there, I'm just still looking.
I would have thought silk, so I'm a bit surprised.
By "re-wrap", are you speaking of strictly ferrules or additional parts of the rod?

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #114 on: November 24, 2013, 01:05:44 PM »
I would have thought silk, so I'm a bit surprised.
By "re-wrap", are you speaking of strictly ferrules or additional parts of the rod?

Usually a strip-down, re varnish and new guides/wrappings. The ferrules (reel seats almost always come loose, so they get done) are un-possible to replace, so if they come loose, I re glue them.

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #115 on: November 25, 2013, 06:00:22 PM »
I know it's a pain, but, a picture now and then of progress would be nice to see.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #116 on: December 17, 2013, 12:25:41 PM »
Hummmm, looking at a pre-war Granger Premier...........next to the highest grade in the line up....but it's a "blue collar" IE: only has one tip that's 1 1/2" short, no bag, no tube, not a "collectible" rod.. Still.....

Skul, I have the week of and after Christmas off, I'm going to try and get the Granger Stream and Lake done. I'll post pics.

Owner won't budge off the asking, dammit.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2013, 04:12:17 PM by Wineslob »

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #117 on: December 17, 2013, 04:46:37 PM »
If you do try for pix, use a light or medium gray background.
That might accent the rod color and detail a little better.

By missing part of the one tip, I presume it's the very end.
Maybe the seller will get tired of sitting on it after a few months, and come down to earth.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #118 on: December 18, 2013, 09:34:32 AM »
If you do try for pix, use a light or medium gray background.
That might accent the rod color and detail a little better.

By missing part of the one tip, I presume it's the very end.
Maybe the seller will get tired of sitting on it after a few months, and come down to earth.

Donno, he's stuck on "the reel seat is worth XXX so I want 50 bucks too much for it" 
 Ya, if a tip section is "down' it means it was probably broken off and a new tip-top applied. I offered $100 for it, more than I've ever paid for any Granger. The others I got were either complete with original bag and tube or in good enough shape that I didn't mind shelling out $50 for them. This one is pretty rough, but it is a somewhat rare (production numbers) model. This is the second time it's been up for sale.

Offline Dblhaul

« Reply #119 on: December 18, 2013, 09:00:02 PM »
Went down to the river today to see what shape it was in. Anchor ice along the edges and low flows. I could tie on a GRHEN and fish for white fish or drive an hour this weekend to a spring creek with rising trout.

Rising trout it is!

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #120 on: December 18, 2013, 11:26:42 PM »
Went down to the river today to see what shape it was in. Anchor ice along the edges and low flows. I could tie on a GRHEN and fish for white fish or drive an hour this weekend to a spring creek with rising trout.

Rising trout it is!
I can go ice fishing for crappie

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #121 on: December 18, 2013, 11:29:18 PM »

Donno, he's stuck on "the reel seat is worth XXX so I want 50 bucks too much for it" 
 Ya, if a tip section is "down' it means it was probably broken off and a new tip-top applied. I offered $100 for it, more than I've ever paid for any Granger. The others I got were either complete with original bag and tube or in good enough shape that I didn't mind shelling out $50 for them. This one is pretty rough, but it is a somewhat rare (production numbers) model. This is the second time it's been up for sale.
$100 is a fair offer for almost any broken rod.

~ Dr. William Pierce

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #122 on: December 19, 2013, 01:49:56 PM »
$100 is a fair offer for almost any broken rod.

Well, it's still for sale, we'll see..........

Oh, it doesn't have the correct wraps either.    :whatever:

Offline Skul

• Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #123 on: December 21, 2013, 03:19:23 PM »
You went and bought it, didn't you?
Let's see the photos.

Offline Wineslob

« Reply #124 on: December 24, 2013, 12:02:59 AM »
You went and bought it, didn't you?
Let's see the photos.

Nope, I won't budge from $100.

It's worth restoring, but not at $150.