Author Topic: possible incipient car problem  (Read 5595 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
possible incipient car problem
« on: February 24, 2008, 08:17:28 AM »
Maybe this isn't something major, but I've always saved big bucks on automotive repairs by catching a microscropic problem before it became an elephantine problem.

Excepting the last two weeks, when I've been laid low, I drive the vehicle circa 800 miles a week.

About two or three times every week, there's a peculiar phenomenon.

The automobile is running fine, doing all that I tell it to do, when suddenly and abruptly and for a few seconds, there's some sort of "vrrrrmmmmm" from the motor, as if the vehicle wants to go faster than it's going.

At the very same time this happens, one "senses" something is losing traction, and trying to "grab," and not quite grabbing.

The automobile continues to operate as if no "vrrrrrrmmmm" has issued forth.

But a clearly-discernible "vrrrrrmmmm" has issued forth, and I'm wondering if it means anything.

I am concerned about this, and as soon as I'm healthier, I'm going to inquire of the mechanic, but before then, I'd like an idea, or some ideas, speculation, about what might cause the engine to act in this manner.

This can happen randomly, at any speed between 40 mph and 100 mph, and under all sorts of climatic conditions and regardless of the terrain (surface of the road).

In answer to the obvious question, yes, there is gasoline in the tank when this happens.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: possible incipient car problem
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2008, 08:24:35 AM »
Maybe this isn't something major, but I've always saved big bucks on automotive repairs by catching a microscropic problem before it became an elephantine problem.

Excepting the last two weeks, when I've been laid low, I drive the vehicle circa 800 miles a week.

About two or three times every week, there's a peculiar phenomenon.

The automobile is running fine, doing all that I tell it to do, when suddenly and abruptly and for a few seconds, there's some sort of "vrrrrmmmmm" from the motor, as if the vehicle wants to go faster than it's going.

At the very same time this happens, one "senses" something is losing traction, and trying to "grab," and not quite grabbing.

The automobile continues to operate as if no "vrrrrrrmmmm" has issued forth.

But a clearly-discernible "vrrrrrmmmm" has issued forth, and I'm wondering if it means anything.

I am concerned about this, and as soon as I'm healthier, I'm going to inquire of the mechanic, but before then, I'd like an idea, or some ideas, speculation, about what might cause the engine to act in this manner.

This can happen randomly, at any speed between 40 mph and 100 mph, and under all sorts of climatic conditions and regardless of the terrain (surface of the road).

In answer to the obvious question, yes, there is gasoline in the tank when this happens.

First guess would be a transmission situation and would suggest that the fluid be drained and a new filter installed.
Hope it isn`t anything really serious.

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2008, 09:14:24 AM »
transmission  :thatsright:

Offline Uhhuh35

• Subtle Like A Nuclear Weapon
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2008, 09:32:48 AM »
transmission  :thatsright:

Does your car have an automatic transmission Frank? If it does then I have to agree with the other posters. I have just one question though:

Why are you driving 100 mph?  :-)
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 11:12:25 AM by Uhhuh35 »
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
— Albert Einstein.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2008, 10:34:08 AM »
yeah, I want to know when frank drives 100mph :-)
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2008, 12:54:28 PM »
It should be noted that there also might be an electronics issues with a sensor malfunctioning causing the computer to confuse the transmission regarding shift points and affecting the action of the valve body.

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2008, 01:00:38 PM »
It should be noted that there also might be an electronics issues with a sensor malfunctioning causing the computer to confuse the transmission regarding shift points and affecting the action of the valve body.

Usually there's a SES light in those situations. First check the fluid level at idle and if it's burnt or bright red. If it's good then I'd be looking for sticking valves and such. Depending on your mechanic and the level of his tooling they have a box that they can hook in that monitors the systems in the car. It has a button you can push during the problem so it captures the conditions going on so the problem can be ID'd.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008, 01:03:09 PM by Randy »

Offline morningAngel

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2008, 01:20:26 PM »

I only understood about every fourth word in that statement so am ignoring all your posts from now on as you make me feel stupid  :banghead:

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2008, 03:19:11 PM »
Okay, Carl gave me two things to suggest; transmission or electronic.

The transmission fluid is fine, and remains its original color, and at its original level, for whatever that's worth.

As to those instances where I zip 100 mph, remember, this is the Sandhills of Nebraska, where there's x miles of road per vehicle, rather than x vehicles per mile of road as in other places.  I would not drive, nor have I ever driven, this way in congested blue states and blue cities.

Besides having the whole road to oneself, remember, this is the Sandhills of Nebraska, where the roads are straight and wide; no 90-degree curves and deep precipices at the edge, as in blue states and blue cities.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2008, 04:44:55 PM »
Okay, Carl gave me two things to suggest; transmission or electronic.

The transmission fluid is fine, and remains its original color, and at its original level, for whatever that's worth.

As to those instances where I zip 100 mph, remember, this is the Sandhills of Nebraska, where there's x miles of road per vehicle, rather than x vehicles per mile of road as in other places.  I would not drive, nor have I ever driven, this way in congested blue states and blue cities.

Besides having the whole road to oneself, remember, this is the Sandhills of Nebraska, where the roads are straight and wide; no 90-degree curves and deep precipices at the edge, as in blue states and blue cities.

It is a good sign at the least.
There might be some crud in the filter or valve body and that is causing an issue.

Does it happen as you are cruising or is it when you accelerate?

Offline franksolich

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2008, 06:20:33 PM »
I'll let you know, Carl, probably on Tuesday or Wednesday of this week, what the mechanic here said.

This mechanic's a real pro, and a straight shooter.

Anyway, I never noticed if it happens--it happens so rarely--when I am accelerating or just cruising; everything's copacetic, I'm at peace with the world and all in it, mellow, laid back, a paragon of serenity, and then suddenly that two- or three-second "vrrrrrrmmmmm."

But I'll let you know.
apres moi, le deluge