Author Topic: Seriously: How many of you have even HEARD of the phrase "Blood Libel" before?  (Read 1092 times)

Offline GOP Congress

PDS seems to be the insanely crazed mutation of it's predecessor, BDS. Today, all I hear are how everyone is up in arms for Palin's response to her non-problem by using the word, "blood libel." As someone whom is reasonably intelligent, I am not really all that up on unconventional religious terms. So when I heard that a prominent liberal Jewish individual denounced Sarah Palin, I figured the PDS would be all over it, and I wasn't disappointed.

So everyone: How many people have even HEARD of the term beyond an obscure reference before today?

EDIT: This may be more appropriate for the Lounge. My apologies, I usually am more appropriate and diligent in posting.
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline Mike220

• Proud owner of a
  • Ron Swanson is my hero
I have. But yeah...
Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion." The "X" makes it sound cool. - Bender

"jews run the media" -- CreativeChristie
Woohoo! Bow to me peasants -- Me

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Been cognizant of it for 20+ years.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline GOP Congress

Been cognizant of it for 20+ years.
Fair enough. My point is how such a phrase is being morphed into n-word status by the left?

I do admit to not being "religious" in the sense that I'm devout. And I'm sure that those of the Jewish faith are cognizant of the term, and they may actually have insight into how Palin would be using this as a slur.

OH snap. Let me answer my question from above. The left would slur Sarah Palin if she used the term "shoehorn".

(Old Dick Van Dyke show joke.)
"The main purpose of the Democrat Party and the Left is to destroy the United States, transform Western Civilization to a tribal-based dystopia, and to ultimately kill all conservatives and non progressives." - Jonah Kyle

Offline dandi

• Live long, and piss off liberals.
So everyone: How many people have even HEARD of the term beyond an obscure reference before today?

*raises hand*
I don't want...anybody else
When I think about me I touch myself

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Sure, but then I have some Jewish friends and they have mentioned it in other contexts.  It's not exactly a current issue, you almost have to delve back into the history of pre-War anti-Semitism in Europe and America to bang into it (Or BS around with some Jewish 20th Century history nuts).

The more common English phrase is "Wave the bloody shirt," but it's not like the ADL has a valid copyright or trademark on the term "Blood libel" either.  What Palin was talking about is still "A" blood libel even if it isn't "The" blood libel of the Jews.   
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
The left would slur Sarah Palin if she used the term "shoehorn".

If there was audio tape of Palin on the phone ordering a quart of mu-gu-gai-pan and a side of pot stickers the left would be on the air claiming she was mocking Asians and smoking weed.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline formerlurker

PDS seems to be the insanely crazed mutation of it's predecessor, BDS. Today, all I hear are how everyone is up in arms for Palin's response to her non-problem by using the word, "blood libel." As someone whom is reasonably intelligent, I am not really all that up on unconventional religious terms. So when I heard that a prominent liberal Jewish individual denounced Sarah Palin, I figured the PDS would be all over it, and I wasn't disappointed.

EDIT: This may be more appropriate for the Lounge. My apologies, I usually am more appropriate and diligent in posting.

I am a news junkie -- have been since I was a teenager.  I read a great deal.   I have NEVER heard this phrase before.  Never.   

I know what it means now.   

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
How exactly did a phrase that denotes FALSE accusations about Jews become an insult to Jews?
It's like claiming Black Face is an offense to White people
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

How exactly did a phrase that denotes FALSE accusations about Jews become an insult to Jews?

Sarah Palin used it to call out the left for their lies.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

The term isn't an insult to Jews, it's what Jews call the lies spread about them (Long ago, now) to the effect they sacrificed Christian babies.  The ADL, who are let's face it notorious attention whores, are "Insulted" and pissed that anyone would use the phrase for describing anything BUT the persecution of the Jews.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline F_Rat-46

• MSPSGT(Ret)
  • Probationary (Probie)
I have heard this phrase before, but not very often.  The Left will find fault with whatever Sarah Palin says, but I did find this interesting.  Alan Dershowitz, actually defended Sarah's use of the phrase:

The term “blood libel” has taken on a broad metaphorical meaning in public discourse. Although its historical origins were in theologically based false accusations against the Jews and the Jewish People,its current usage is far broader. I myself have used it to describe false accusations against the State of Israel by the Goldstone Report. There is nothing improper and certainly nothing anti-Semitic in Sarah Palin using the term to characterize what she reasonably believes are false accusations that her words or images may have caused a mentally disturbed individual to kill and maim. The fact that two of the victims are Jewish is utterly irrelevant to the propriety of using this widely used term.

http://biggovernment.com/publius/2011/01/12/exclusive-alan-dershowitz-defends-sarah-palins-use-of-term-blood-libel/
KITD/FOHS

Offline Boudicca

I've heard of it, since my ex was Jewish.  A Mexican Jew-I covered two minority bases with that asshole and he sucked as bad as this Black Muslim president. :bird:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
^ Well, the one thing you took away from the relationship was being well versed in some ethnic background, at least.

(Trying to look for the good in a bad situation, I assume.)

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Boudicca

^ Well, the one thing you took away from the relationship was being well versed in some ethnic background, at least.

(Trying to look for the good in a bad situation, I assume.)

Yeah, that was a good thing, but I'm sure his Mama was so happy when he ditched the white girl. :-)
From what I heard he later married a nice white Jewish girl from NJ.  Oy vey. :rotf:
Sneaking into a country doesn't make you an immigrant any
more than breaking into someone's house makes you part of the family.
(Poster bolky from thehill.com blog discussion)

Offline H Minus

• Just Off Probation
Anyone who studies the middle east probaly has heard the term.

Of course the turds of the left will try to make an issue of water being wet when it comes to sarah.
I have no group affliation, there is just me and in case it isn't clear, I don't start trouble, nor do i take shit from anyone.