Author Topic: ACORN Losing Funding From Big Foundations  (Read 2021 times)

Offline thundley4

ACORN Losing Funding From Big Foundations
« on: October 05, 2009, 10:22:31 AM »
The liberal political organizing group ACORN, battered by the release of embarrassing videos and allegations of financial mismanagement and fraud, has also been losing support from several major foundations.

The Ford Foundation, the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, the Marguerite Casey Foundation and Bank of America have stopped funding the group and its affiliates over the past year and a half.

The Association of Community Organizations for Reform Now, a network that helps low-income families with housing, voter registration and other issues, receives about 10 percent of its $25 million annual budget from federal grants, according to Brian Kettenring, deputy director of national operations. The rest comes from foundations, membership dues and private donations.
The Annie E. Casey Foundation stopped making grants to ACORN in early 2009, according to spokeswoman Sue Lin Chong. The Casey foundation gave an average of $270,000 a year to ACORN. The foundation saw good results from the grants and believes the funding was used appropriately, according to Cho.

The Ford Foundation, which has given nearly $2 million, suspended funding for ACORN and its affiliate organizations about a year ago because of concerns about inadequate financial controls and procedures, according to spokeswoman Fiona R. Guthrie.
WaPo

More good new, but they still exist.

Offline bkg

Re: ACORN Losing Funding From Big Foundations
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 10:24:30 AM »
Acorn will not go away. Defunded, they will reorganize much like GM did and come back much stronger under a new name... Be ware of feeling like we're winning this one.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 10:28:55 AM »
Acorn will not go away. Defunded, they will reorganize much like GM did and come back much stronger under a new name... Be ware of feeling like we're winning this one.

They have tried to change their name, but no one is buying it. What worries me more is that there are so many minor branches controlled by ACORN, that it may be impossible to sort them all out.

Offline bkg

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 10:31:00 AM »
They have tried to change their name, but no one is buying it. What worries me more is that there are so many minor branches controlled by ACORN, that it may be impossible to sort them all out.

They've done a good job of diversifying... bear in mind also that they get a lot (most) of their funds through money laundering through other charities/non-profits/gov't agencies.

I don't see something this large, this important to Obama going away anytime soon.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 10:36:06 AM »
They've done a good job of diversifying... bear in mind also that they get a lot (most) of their funds through money laundering through other charities/non-profits/gov't agencies.

I don't see something this large, this important to Obama going away anytime soon.

I'm not so sure of that. 0Bama won't hesitate to throw them under the bus if he believes they hurting his cause with average Americans.  There are plenty of lawsuits against them, including one in San Diego of all places, that is going after ACORN itself, not just flunkies.

Offline bkg

« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 10:37:24 AM »
I'm not so sure of that. 0Bama won't hesitate to throw them under the bus if he believes they hurting his cause with average Americans.  There are plenty of lawsuits against them, including one in San Diego of all places, that is going after ACORN itself, not just flunkies.

I hope you're right... but I fear you're wrong. I don't see him throwing under the bus the very people who got him elected.... especially if he wants a second term or healthcare to pass.

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »
I hope you're right... but I fear you're wrong. I don't see him throwing under the bus the very people who got him elected.... especially if he wants a second term or healthcare to pass.

I think will give every appearance of throwing them under the bus if he views it as politically expedient, but I sure he will still provide them with backdoor support.  In all likelihood, he will bemoan the corruption that occurred in an organization that was "doing so much good", they'll give the appearance of cleaning out the corruption, he provide the newly "corruption-free" organization with his full support, then they will all be back to business as usual.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 10:46:48 AM »
I think will give every appearance of throwing them under the bus if he views it as politically expedient, but I sure he will still provide them with backdoor support.  In all likelihood, he will bemoan the corruption that occurred in an organization that was "doing so much good", they'll give the appearance of cleaning out the corruption, he provide the newly "corruption-free" organization with his full support, then they will all be back to business as usual.

Translation: "That's not the ACORN I knew..."
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 10:00:35 PM »
The Ford Foundation, the Annie E. Casey Foundation, the Charles Stewart Mott Foundation, the Marguerite Casey Foundation and Bank of America...

Wow, it's like listening to the blurb at the end of an NPR program.  And NPR doesn't have a political bias... no way.

</back on topic>
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 11:34:24 PM »
Translation: "That's not the ACORN I knew..."

As the wheels on his bus crunches them into many many small pieces
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Mustang

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2009, 12:16:56 AM »
I think Acorn is pretty much finished. Once they lose their state funding as well, they will have no financial support.
I understand they own a lot of real estate worth many millions of dollars, so they won't go down fast, they will slowly run out of money and real estate to sell and then it is finished.

2 kids and a camera brought down the biggest community organizer group in the country.

Offline 5412

« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2009, 02:36:02 AM »
I think Acorn is pretty much finished. Once they lose their state funding as well, they will have no financial support.
I understand they own a lot of real estate worth many millions of dollars, so they won't go down fast, they will slowly run out of money and real estate to sell and then it is finished.

2 kids and a camera brought down the biggest community organizer group in the country.

Hi,

Let us not forget that the goal is to swamp the system with debt until it collapses into anarchy.. then communism will emerge as citizens are willing to give up freedom for security.  BO will do whatever it takes to achieve that goal.  He cares little for the citizens, particularly white ones in this country.

Thought it was interesting that the Bank of America stopped doing business with acorn and a couple days later their president resigned.  Just another example of the president cannng an executive in private industry.

He may create the illusion that he is throwing acorn under the bus, but they will emerge down the road.

regards,

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2009, 02:38:21 AM »

The funding was stopped by the foundations mentioned in this article prior to the release of these tapes.  I think these two had a lot to do with their demise, but it all started with election fraud.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2009, 01:20:52 PM »

Before The Øne "throws them under the bus", he's going to transform them into the backbone of his "Civillian National Security Force", you know, the one that's just as large and well funded as the Military...

The Øne is nothing more than a street thug at heart.  And when he is thwarted using the normal tools of state in his bid to secure power equal to his ego, he will unleash street thugs to take by force what he could not take otherwise.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline 5412

« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2009, 10:05:38 PM »

Before The Øne "throws them under the bus", he's going to transform them into the backbone of his "Civillian National Security Force", you know, the one that's just as large and well funded as the Military...

The Øne is nothing more than a street thug at heart.  And when he is thwarted using the normal tools of state in his bid to secure power equal to his ego, he will unleash street thugs to take by force what he could not take otherwise.

Hi,

If he indeed arms them it will be a huge mistake.  While they may be able to intimidate some folks it will backfire.  There are many Americans who are saying enough is enough, bring it on!  The main difference is simple.  Many will be fighting for their country and their way of life.  Acorn will be fighting for $12/hour.......when they encounter resistence see how long they hang around.

If we end up with another civil war it will get really ugly.

regards,

Offline Chris_

« Reply #15 on: October 07, 2009, 10:28:00 AM »
Hi,

If he indeed arms them it will be a huge mistake.  While they may be able to intimidate some folks it will backfire.  There are many Americans who are saying enough is enough, bring it on!  The main difference is simple.  Many will be fighting for their country and their way of life.  Acorn will be fighting for $12/hour.......when they encounter resistence see how long they hang around.

If we end up with another civil war it will get really ugly.

regards,

The one thing you're forgetting -or maybe not - is that the Saul Alinsky model tells Lord Ø that chaos works in his favor.  If the populace is up in arms against him, that's chaos, or in Rahm Emmanuel speak: an opportune crisis.  He thinks that getting us all pissed off and openly fighting ACORN thugs in the streets will create such a chaotic situation that the "average Joe Six-Pack" will be pleading for Lord Ø to step in, take control of things, suspend the evil first and second amendment rights of those fighting in the streets, and restore the peace of imposed order.  Bada-bing, badda-boomo, Lord Ø rides in as the savior of the nation (in his mind) and is set up with great accolades as Dictator For Life.