Author Topic: Obama resigns Senate seat effective Sunday  (Read 1605 times)

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Obama resigns Senate seat effective Sunday
« on: November 13, 2008, 03:49:08 PM »

what is the record for the shortest amount of time spent physically located in the capitol building for a senate career?  unless someone had a fatal heart attack walking out of the chamber after taking the oath of office, I am betting this is it.

WASHINGTON, Nov 13 (Reuters) - President-elect Barack Obama said he would resign his U.S. Senate seat effective on Sunday as he focuses on his transition to the White House.

"It has been one of the highest honors and privileges of my life to have served the people of Illinois in the United States Senate," Obama said in a statement.

Obama, who will be sworn in as president on Jan. 20, said he would "leave the United States Senate and begin the hard task of fulfilling the simple hopes and common dreams of all Americans as our nation's next president."

This means Obama, who has served four years of his six-year term, will not participate in the next week's post-election Senate session. The Democratic-led Senate is hoping during the session pass a possible rescue package for the struggling auto industry and an economic stimulus package.

Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich, a Democrat, will appoint a successor to finish out Obama's term in the Senate.

Link

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
Re: Obama resigns Senate seat effective Sunday
« Reply #1 on: November 13, 2008, 03:52:33 PM »

:censored: :thatsright:  but what the hell did we expect?

Now the speculation turns to whom Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich will appoint to succeed Obama. That appointment will serve until 2010, when Obama's six-year term concludes.

Some of the possibilities include Reps. Jesse Jackson Jr., Jan Schakowsky and Melissa Bean; Tammy Duckworth, the unsuccessful 2006 House candidate who now heads the Illinois Department of Veterans' Affairs; Illinois Attorney General Lisa Madigan; and State Comptroller Dan Hynes.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2008, 03:54:19 PM »
This does seem a little early.

Usually they've done it towards the end of December.

If the aim is to give an incoming Senator "seniority," all it takes is for the outgoing Senator to resign a day or an hour or a minute before the new Senate convenes on January 3rd; that does give the new Senator "seniority" over all the others coming in.

The shortest Senate term I'm aware of was, interestingly, the first woman to serve in the U.S. Senate, Rebecca Felton (D-Georgia) in 1921 or 1922.  She served three hours, and then the later-famous Walter George (D-Georgia) took it over.

Three hours was perhaps enough for her, a retired schoolteacher, because she was 92 or 94 years old at the time.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

Der Fuhrer was in the Senate?

Prove it!  :evillaugh:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Zeus

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2008, 04:06:44 PM »
Served four of a six year term. Spent 2.5 yrs of that 4 yrs campaigning for president. Nice gig if you want it and can get it huh.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2008, 04:11:23 PM »
Wouldn't that be a bitch if someone actually DID prove he's not an American citizen?  Can go forward, can't go back.  Just go away, Obummer.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Zeus

« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2008, 04:24:04 PM »
Wouldn't that be a bitch if someone actually DID prove he's not an American citizen?  Can go forward, can't go back.  Just go away, Obummer.

There is the citizenship issue & now a Selective service registration issue.
It is said that branches draw their life from the vine. Each is separate yet all are one as they share one life giving stem . The Bible tells us we are called to a similar union in life, our lives with the life of God. We are incorporated into him; made sharers in his life. Apart from this union we can do nothing.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2008, 04:57:01 PM »
Heh, that wouldn't stop him.  DimocRATs get do-overs....ala Minnesota, or ala John $kerry..." I resigned before I un-resigned".   :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2008, 05:04:22 PM »
Governor Rod will appoint whoever Der Fuhrer asks him to.  Rod will be looking to Obama for a pardon in the future.  :rotf:

Offline Chris_

« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2008, 05:24:47 PM »
Governor Rod will appoint whoever Der Fuhrer asks him to.  Rod will be looking to Obama for a pardon in the future.  :rotf:

Wouldn't that just figure, if Comrade Rod appoints Comrade Ayers to fill der Fuhrer's seat in the senate?

Why not?  It's par for the course with all the rest of the appointments Dear Leader has made thus far.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2008, 05:26:01 PM »

Obama, who will be sworn in as president on Jan. 20, said he would "leave the United States Senate and begin the hard task of fulfilling the simple hopes and common dreams of all Americans as our nation's next president."

:puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:

Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2008, 11:26:54 PM »
USAG: Funny thing about this resignation letter...

...the word "senator" has been crossed-out and the word "president" has been written-in in crayon.

MSB: Look! A baby giraffe!

*runs*
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."