Author Topic: Israel 'will attack Iran' before new US president sworn in, John Bolton pred  (Read 1475 times)

Offline formerlurker

Israel 'will attack Iran' before new US president sworn in, John Bolton predicts
John Bolton, the former American ambassador to the United Nations, has predicted that Israel could attack Iran after the November presidential election but before George W Bush's successor is sworn in.

By Toby Harnden in Washington
Last Updated: 9:50AM BST 24 Jun 2008

Bolton: 'the argument for military action is sooner rather than later' Photo: PA
The Arab world would be "pleased" by Israeli strikes against Iranian nuclear facilities, he said in an interview with The Daily Telegraph.

"It [the reaction] will be positive privately. I think there'll be public denunciations but no action," he said.

Mr Bolton, an unflinching hawk who proposes military action to stop Iran developing nuclear weapons, bemoaned what he sees as a lack of will by the Bush administration to itself contemplate military strikes.

"It's clear that the administration has essentially given up that possibility," he said. "I don't think it's serious any more. If you had asked me a year ago I would have said I thought it was a real possibility. I just don't think it's in the cards."

Israel, however, still had a determination to prevent a nuclear Iran, he argued. The "optimal window" for strikes would be between the November 4 election and the inauguration on January 20, 2009

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/israel/2182070/Israel-'will-attack-Iran'-before-new-US-president-sworn-in,-John-Bolton-predicts.html

Offline thundley4

I'm certain that Bolton was predicating this on an Obama victory republican loss.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

"Could" and "Will" aren't the same thing.  However I agree that they will, just not that fast.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
I dunno, I just read something today about Israel telling the US helicopters to stay out of their airspace...... something's up. After all, Israel has been chomping at the bit to deal with Iran.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
I can see where if Israel acts before January they might think that the Bush administration would provide some sort of cover, whereas if they waited until after the Obama administration takes over, they're pretty much at the mercy of Iran, Syria, et al.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline formerlurker

I dunno, I just read something today about Israel telling the US helicopters to stay out of their airspace...... something's up. After all, Israel has been chomping at the bit to deal with Iran.

I think that was Iran who issued the warning.