Author Topic: 'Dr. Phil' Chastises Letterman's Deriding of Palin's Bad Parenting  (Read 1933 times)

Offline Lauri

'Dr. Phil' Chastises Letterman's Deriding of Palin's Bad Parenting
« on: September 04, 2008, 11:28:28 PM »
By Brent Baker (Bio | Archive)
September 4, 2008 - 04:48 ET 

Guest “Dr. Phil” on Wednesday night chastised David Letterman's misunderstanding of teenage sexual behavior and parental influence after Letterman sarcastically complained that if a President McCain “drops dead...don't you want your President to have had the presence of mind to have chatted to her teenaged kids for five minutes about birth control?” (Letterman delivered the same belittling joke the night before too.)

Referring to Letterman's almost five-year-old son, daytime TV host Phil McGraw, aka “Dr. Phil,” informed Letterman:

Let me tell you something, new dad. If you are under the misapprehension that when Harry is 17 that you are going to have even a remote influence on what he decides in the back seat of a Chevy on a Saturday night -- I don't think old Dave's going to be popping in his mind at that point. It's not a 15-minute conversation. It's a dialogue that you need to have starting when he's about eight or nine.

Undeterred from his contempt for Sarah Palin, Letterman asked: “Then why didn't they have the dialogue?” McGraw suggested: “Maybe they did. But when children get that age, at 17 -- see, here's the thing. The body's grown but the brain is not.” Letterman soon sneered: “They don't sell Trojans in Alaska? Come on,” prompting McGraw to point out: “Wasn't Barack's mother like 18 when he was born?” Indeed she was.

Audio: MP3 audio clip (2:10, 650 Kb)

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/09/04/dr-phil-chastises-lettermans-mocking-palins-bad-parenting

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
Re: 'Dr. Phil' Chastises Letterman's Deriding of Palin's Bad Parenting
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2008, 06:39:38 AM »

Guest “Dr. Phil” on Wednesday night chastised David Letterman's misunderstanding of teenage sexual behavior and parental influence after Letterman sarcastically complained that if a President McCain “drops dead...don't you want your President to have had the presence of mind to have chatted to her teenaged kids for five minutes about birth control?” (Letterman delivered the same belittling joke the night before too.)

Referring to Letterman's almost five-year-old son, daytime TV host Phil McGraw, aka “Dr. Phil,” informed Letterman:

Let me tell you something, new dad. If you are under the misapprehension that when Harry is 17 that you are going to have even a remote influence on what he decides in the back seat of a Chevy on a Saturday night -- I don't think old Dave's going to be popping in his mind at that point. It's not a 15-minute conversation. It's a dialogue that you need to have starting when he's about eight or nine.

Undeterred from his contempt for Sarah Palin, Letterman asked: “Then why didn't they have the dialogue?” McGraw suggested: “Maybe they did. But when children get that age, at 17 -- see, here's the thing. The body's grown but the brain is not.” Letterman soon sneered: “They don't sell Trojans in Alaska? Come on,” prompting McGraw to point out: “Wasn't Barack's mother like 18 when he was born?” Indeed she was.

http://newsbusters.org/blogs/brent-baker/2008/09/04/dr-phil-chastises-lettermans-mocking-palins-bad-parenting

I love how these 50 something people with one 5 year old child become parenting experts....He is so far out of his depth having this conversation with Dr Phil! :lmao: Shut up Dave! Just attempt to be funny! :bird: :-)
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2008, 07:23:23 AM »

I love how these 50 something people with one 5 year old child become parenting experts....He is so far out of his depth having this conversation with Dr Phil! :lmao: Shut up Dave! Just attempt to be funny! :bird: :-)

It's the new parent complex. They are exemplary parents who do everything right and their 'baby' is a little angel.  :lmao:

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2008, 08:05:36 AM »

It's the new parent complex. They are exemplary parents who do everything right and their 'baby' is a little angel.  :lmao:

I can't wait for this round of kids that all these Hollywood people have had over the past 5 years or so grow up. How screwed up do you think they are going to be?!?   

Offline Willow

• Limousine
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2008, 08:15:14 AM »
notice how Letterman went from 17 is horrible and had bad parents who did not have a conversation with their kids = Republicans to "18 is fine, I don't have a problem with 18" = Democrat.  I hope Dr. Phil prescribed something.  :mental:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 08:19:02 AM »

I can't wait for this round of kids that all these Hollywood people have had over the past 5 years or so grow up. How screwed up do you think they are going to be?!?   

I think we all have a little bit of it at first, but at some point when they throw the first few hissy fits we realize real quick that both a) they aren't always perfect little angels and b) we don't always have control over the bad(or good) behavior. Sometimes kids are just who they are, warts and goodness all.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2008, 09:35:46 AM »
Perhaps it should be pointed out that Letterman is not married to his child's mother......I believe that many individuals would therefore refer to this child as a "bastard"......

As I have a sister who was referred to as a "bastard" for most of her childhood....it's not a nice way to grow up....from what she has told me....it was often quite painful and hurtful opinions coming from a bunch of "know it all's"...

Guess it's different is one is part of the "Hollywood" crowd.  ::)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2008, 09:40:29 AM »
Perhaps it should be pointed out that Letterman is not married to his child's mother......I believe that many individuals would therefore refer to this child as a "bastard"......

As I have a sister who was referred to as a "bastard" for most of her childhood....it's not a nice way to grow up....from what she has told me....it was often quite painful and hurtful opinions coming from a bunch of "know it all's"...

Guess it's different is one is part of the "Hollywood" crowd.  ::)

As I recall, Dr. Phil has chided him a few times on Letterman's own show about that very thing. :uhsure:

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2008, 03:02:57 PM »
You know what ? This doesn't matter. At all. In Alaska she is of age, and ended up pregnant. The important part is 'OF AGE' - Sarah could have talked to her daughter until she was blue and there is nothing that could be done further.

And Id say Sarah has talked to her children.

Unlike most kids, Bristol is doing the right thing. She had to learn that responsibility from somewhere. 

Offline Donpeyote

• Schade's friend
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2008, 03:10:24 PM »
  Letterman is a Tool 1 :popcorn: