Author Topic: Catbyte's queer friend was murdered- most likely by a kid he raped  (Read 926 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021473784

catbyte (2,435 posts)

View profile
My friend was murdered.

Last edited Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:41 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
This has been one hell of a month for me, my DU friends. It started out by me almost being evicted from my apartment because I was faced with the choice of paying a large nursing home bill for my husband who suffers from vascular dementia and the ravages of having Type I DM for 53 years or my rent. Of course I chose the nursing home bill. You angels of DU came to my rescue and I was able to stop the eviction and save my cats and my home. Thank you again. What a high!

Fast forward to the morning of September 25 and I had the shock of my life as I was getting ready for work when I saw on the morning news a report that my good friend, Santiago Zapata, Jr. was found dead in his basement of "traumatic injuries" and they were launching a homicide investigation. I was stunned.

I met Z in 1993 when he drove from Saginaw to interview for an advisor/teacher for at-risk middle school students position at GVSU through a federal TRiO Educational Talent Search grant and was 45 minutes late. I was on the search committee and it was a rocky start, lol. Normally somebody who was that late wouldn't even be considered, but Z was special. He was the first kid out of 10 kids from a migrant worker Mexican family to go to college. This was not a factor in hiring him, but he was severely burned in an accident as a child and carried the scars on his face and chest. He had a compelling personal history and a passion for kids and education. We hired him on the spot and he was the best hire ever.

I had the privilege of working with him for over 12 years until I received a promotion & was transferred out of ETS. Z was the most dedicated and passionate advocate for at-risk kids I have ever met. He went above and beyond his job description every day. He organized Thanksgiving feasts for underprivileged families at the middle schools where he advised. He was a volunteer basketball coach at the YMCA. He touched a thousand different students in a million different ways. He took in Dream Act-eligible kids whose parents were in danger of deportation. He helped countless kids better their lives.

He loved the University of Michigan sports teams. He loved antiques. He loved a good deal. He loved country music, classic rock, and the Blues. He was small in stature, but had the most boisterous, room-filling laugh ever. He loved his students. He loved foosball. He loved his friends.

We gathered at the funeral home on Monday night to pay our respects to his family. There was an open casket and I could tell he had fought for his life. His mother, completely shattered, hugged me in a death grip for almost 5 minutes and we cried together. His brother, gracious as ever and with a dignity I could never muster, said he forgave whoever did this. I am afraid I am not as good a human being as he is. I am angry. I am outraged. There were about 200 people at his memorial service on Tuesday. Several people got up to speak, but the one who really stood out was a former student of his. He entered the program during Z's first year here as a 13 year-old kid who was living with his mom in a shelter for domestic violence victims. Z kept in contact with that kid and now he is a 30 year-old father of 2 who has been married for 10 years. He has a Master's Degree and a great job, thanks in large measure to Z's encouragement. He is just one of oh so many.

The police arrested 2 suspects on Tuesday thanks to a Silent Witness tip (thank you!), and great police work by the GRPD & FBI Taskforce. They were arraigned today on felony murder charges. They stabbed and beat Z to death because he refused to give them his wallet. He was a generous guy but didn't tolerate bullshit. They then dragged him to the basement and left him to die next to his beloved foosball table. Each one is blaming the other for stabbing him, but they both went to Z's home carrying a knife with the intent to rob him. I think they went there intending to murder Z and nothing could've stopped them. For Z's life, they got his car that they abandoned and his ATM card that they couldn't get to work. I am furious.

The obscene irony of this is one of the murderers is a guy he has mentored for YEARS. He has known him for at least 10 years after coaching him in the YMCA basketball team. I am so sad and angry. What a waste. Although I don't support the DP, I resent the hell out of my tax dollars being used to take care of these 2 worthless pieces of shit for who knows how long. At least they will have shitty lives because in MI murders don't get parole.

Santigo's life was a life well lived. His birthday was December 25 and I always made it a point of giving him a gift wrapped in Christmas paper and another in birthday paper because kids born on Christmas always get cheated.

The family has asked that in lieu of flowers, they asked for donations to the Hispanic Center of Western Michigan.

Like I said, it's been one hell of a month. Rest in peace, my friend. I will never forget you.

While her post sound innocuous enough, I found this:

http://www.mlive.com/news/grand-rapids/index.ssf/2012/10/police_suspects_in_death_of_sa.html

rm5545
Like I've stated in previous Santiago articles -- I knew Santiago for eight years. This man "hung out" with 19 - 30-year-old men on weekends, dining at Maggie's Kitchen on Bridge Street and Brann's on Leonard Street, playing ping-pong in his basement and frequenting bars Friday and Saturday nights with students he had mentored or was still mentoring. Santiago's drink of choice was Bacardi, and he shared it with the young men who visited his home. Professional boundaries? Zero. Not to sound insensitive, but I am not surprised of the details surrounding his death.

catbyte
Then why not shut the hell up and let him rest in peace, rm5545? You seem determined to besmirch Z's memory and sully his reputation. Why? I seriously doubt he have underage kids liquor--he cared too much about them. Do some soul searching to discover why you feel compelled to smear a man who did so much good for so many people. Because you disapprove of his lifestyle? Who are you to judge? It's despicable

tucker3
It sounds like he got his charges drunk and did the horizontal bop to them, against their will. 

One of the killers probably waited for years for satisfaction.

I couldn't resist.  :-) I have a "DU Mole" avatar.

The rest of the DUmp thread is nothing more that an "I'm so sorry" fest.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline thundley4

Re: Catbyte's queer friend was murdered- most likely by a kid he raped
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2012, 08:33:52 PM »
penelopee
Living together and in need of money? Wonder why they didn't think about getting a job, having a garage sale, selling something on craigslist, borrowing from family or friends? I'd like to congratulate their parents on raising such responsible young men.

They look like  Obama's sons , if Obama had sons.  They didn't need jobs, just another fix.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2012, 08:53:53 PM »
He loved the University of Michigan sports teams.

Suffice it to say.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2012, 10:16:59 PM »
What a bunch of tripe:

nadinbrzezinski (109,474 posts)   Thu Oct 4, 2012, 11:14 PM

18. All I can offer is hugs

at this point

So.....what's the oblate spheroid going to offer after this point?

Maybe send a $50 gift card to the primitive up there in Michigan?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Rufus2010

« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2012, 10:22:58 PM »
catbyte (2,435 posts)

View profile
My friend was murdered.

Last edited Thu Oct 4, 2012, 10:41 PM USA/ET - Edit history (1)
This has been one hell of a month for me, my DU friends. It started out by me almost being evicted from my apartment because I was faced with the choice of paying a large nursing home bill for my husband who suffers from vascular dementia and the ravages of having Type I DM for 53 years or my rent. Of course I chose the nursing home bill. You angels of DU came to my rescue and I was able to stop the eviction and save my cats and my home. Thank you again. What a high!

Fast forward to the morning of September 25 and I had the shock of my life as I was getting ready for work when I saw on the morning news a report that my good friend, Santiago Zapata, Jr. was found dead in his basement of "traumatic injuries" and they were launching a homicide investigation. I was stunned.

I met Z in 1993 when he drove from Saginaw to interview for an advisor/teacher for at-risk middle school students position at GVSU through a federal TRiO Educational Talent Search grant and was 45 minutes late. I was on the search committee and it was a rocky start, lol. Normally somebody who was that late wouldn't even be considered, but Z was special. He was the first kid out of 10 kids from a migrant worker Mexican family to go to college. This was not a factor in hiring him, but he was severely burned in an accident as a child and carried the scars on his face and chest. He had a compelling personal history and a passion for kids and education. We hired him on the spot and he was the best hire ever.

I had the privilege of working with him for over 12 years until I received a promotion & was transferred out of ETS. Z was the most dedicated and passionate advocate for at-risk kids I have ever met. He went above and beyond his job description every day. He organized Thanksgiving feasts for underprivileged families at the middle schools where he advised. He was a volunteer basketball coach at the YMCA. He touched a thousand different students in a million different ways. He took in Dream Act-eligible kids whose parents were in danger of deportation. He helped countless kids better their lives.

He loved the University of Michigan sports teams. He loved antiques. He loved a good deal. He loved country music, classic rock, and the Blues. He was small in stature, but had the most boisterous, room-filling laugh ever. He loved his students. He loved foosball. He loved his friends.

We gathered at the funeral home on Monday night to pay our respects to his family. There was an open casket and I could tell he had fought for his life. His mother, completely shattered, hugged me in a death grip for almost 5 minutes and we cried together. His brother, gracious as ever and with a dignity I could never muster, said he forgave whoever did this. I am afraid I am not as good a human being as he is. I am angry. I am outraged. There were about 200 people at his memorial service on Tuesday. Several people got up to speak, but the one who really stood out was a former student of his. He entered the program during Z's first year here as a 13 year-old kid who was living with his mom in a shelter for domestic violence victims. Z kept in contact with that kid and now he is a 30 year-old father of 2 who has been married for 10 years. He has a Master's Degree and a great job, thanks in large measure to Z's encouragement. He is just one of oh so many.

The police arrested 2 suspects on Tuesday thanks to a Silent Witness tip (thank you!), and great police work by the GRPD & FBI Taskforce. They were arraigned today on felony murder charges. They stabbed and beat Z to death because he refused to give them his wallet. He was a generous guy but didn't tolerate bullshit. They then dragged him to the basement and left him to die next to his beloved foosball table. Each one is blaming the other for stabbing him, but they both went to Z's home carrying a knife with the intent to rob him. I think they went there intending to murder Z and nothing could've stopped them. For Z's life, they got his car that they abandoned and his ATM card that they couldn't get to work. I am furious.

The obscene irony of this is one of the murderers is a guy he has mentored for YEARS. He has known him for at least 10 years after coaching him in the YMCA basketball team. I am so sad and angry. What a waste. Although I don't support the DP, I resent the hell out of my tax dollars being used to take care of these 2 worthless pieces of shit for who knows how long. At least they will have shitty lives because in MI murders don't get parole.

Santigo's life was a life well lived. His birthday was December 25 and I always made it a point of giving him a gift wrapped in Christmas paper and another in birthday paper because kids born on Christmas always get cheated.

The family has asked that in lieu of flowers, they asked for donations to the Hispanic Center of Western Michigan.

Like I said, it's been one hell of a month. Rest in peace, my friend. I will never forget you.

« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 10:30:41 PM by franksolich »

Offline JakeStyle

« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2012, 12:26:16 AM »
What a bunch of tripe:

nadin was recently scammed out of her going out fund, all she can offer is vibes.  http://www.democraticunderground.com/10021479252

Offline Tucker

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2012, 03:52:36 AM »
What a bunch of tripe:

Didn't some DUmmies chip in to pay Catbyte's rent? If so, a fool and his money were separated from each other again.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2012, 06:39:01 AM »
I think this was an episode on Criminal Minds.  Yeah, one of the students he abused did it.  They get him to confess and everything right before the show is over.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline Traveshamockery

• Nana to Kyle and Garrett
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2012, 10:26:15 AM »
The "DU Mole" avatar in the comments section of that newspaper is great, Tucker!

:cheersmate:

Offline jukin

« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2012, 10:34:11 AM »
I couldn't resist.  I have a "DU Mole" avatar.

Beautifully played sir! :cheersmate:
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2012, 10:43:25 AM »
The "DU Mole" avatar in the comments section of that newspaper is great, Tucker!

:cheersmate:

She may or may not respond but it's a good bet that she's seen it.

DUmmies love attention.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2012, 01:20:12 PM »
It's cause for celebration when another queerbait predator gets his comeuppance.

It's unfortunate that he didn't get a chance to meet Chris Hansen first.

The fact that he was a queer Wolverine fan is just a bonus.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2012, 02:50:01 PM »
It's cause for celebration when another queerbait predator gets his comeuppance.

It's unfortunate that he didn't get a chance to meet Chris Hansen first.

The fact that he was a queer Wolverine fan is just a bonus.

Wonder what Bo Schembechler would have thought of that. His mentor Woody Hayes wouldn't have liked it too much either. Hell Hayes bopped a player so you know he wouldn't hold back on some peter puffin stranger from up north.