Author Topic: This is gonna eat at em like cancer- Walker won 36% of Union voters  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
http://www.democraticunderground.com/1002774324

GarroHorus (96 posts)

View profile

Walker won 36% of Union voters
Huffington Post is my source for this.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/05/wisconsin-recall-vote_n_1572662.html

This begs a question.

If more than one-third of Union voters are unwilling to vote in favor of Unions, why should non-Union voters care about Unions any more?

We've infiltrated your sacred unions.

Look at what happened to the WI teachers union. They lost over half of their members when dues became voluntary.

shcrane71 (995 posts)
1. Don't believe everything you read in the US media.

View profile
The election was rigged. There needs to be an investigation.

I think that Skimmer should start a "Stolen election" section. He can put it next to the 9-11 trufers.

Chipper Chat (5,477 posts)
4. I concur.

View profile
That's like saying "36% of US gays to vote for Romney in November."

Isn't there a thread about that somewhere?

Mayflower1 (62 posts)
28. Maybe those same exit polls are wrong about Obama winning too ?

View profile
Obviously, they were wrong about Barrett winning.

cali (71,490 posts)
22. every freakin' time we lose an election, someone says it was stolen

View profile
it's pathetic to make that claim with zero evidence.

Not one to make baseless claims!!! If you didn't, you'd still have a job.

exboyfil (2,122 posts)
35. Some observations from a private sector employee

View profile
A private sector wage worker (union or non-union) has more in common with a private sector engineer or middle manager than a public sector union member. Public sector union members can collectively bargain for jobs for services that are mandated by the state Constitution. A private sector wage worker has no such protection - their jobs can go away whenever the private sector closes it down (lack of sales, outsourcing, leaner competitor, etc).

In spite of the arguments I see on this board at least in our area the public sector total benefits package is starting to exceed the private sector equivalent.

In general the 36% are seeing public sector wage and benefit packages that are superior to their own while they are paying a large percentage of their income in taxes. While most of our wage employees do not have bachelor's degrees, they are skilled workers with considerable technical training. They probably view themselves as equivalent to teachers, and they know how valuable low deductible secure health insurance is worth.

That is why I can see 36% of union workers voting for Walker. Please don't flame me - I am merely stating what I see as their reasoning. I am not in a union (I am a technical worker), but this is what I hear from my union coworkers.

edhopper (5,259 posts)
12. I was in a Union

View profile
you'd be surprised how many Union people are Repugs who don't see how much the Unions have given them. The are many who buy into the right wing bullshit about greedy lazy workers and those "minorities" living on the government tit.

Wrong.

You're referring to welfare queens.

Freddie Stubbs (27,883 posts)
16. Apparently not all union members sympathize with public employee unions

Roosevelt held the same position.

Mayflower1 (62 posts)
31. Did he have a choice to join the union?

View profile
A lot of people who if given a choice, would not join the union. They are forced to and some resent that.

catbyte (1,573 posts)
40. They are morons.

View profile
What do YOU think about unions? You seem a little bagger around the edges...

Uh-Oh...Caught.

jody (24,457 posts)
24. Don't confuse "public employee" union with "private employee" union

View profile
Nationwide there are:

105 million, private-sector workers, 7% union

20 million, public-sector workers, 37% union

It's plausible that the 36% figure you cite might mostly be private-sector union members.

That figure is being reduced as we speak.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline formerlurker

Re: This is gonna eat at em like cancer- Walker won 36% of Union voters
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2012, 10:22:30 AM »
Should we send a cruiser to Omaha Steve's house to do a welfare check?   Dude has to be in the depths of sorrow.   It's been a very bad year for the man.  :bawl:

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2012, 10:38:31 AM »
shcrane71 (995 posts)
1. Don't believe everything you read in the US media.

View profile
The election was rigged. There needs to be an investigation.

I wonder how much worse Walker would have beaten Barrett if the dems hadn't bussed in illegal voters.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2012, 11:02:19 AM »
Response to shcrane71 (Reply #1)
Wed Jun 6, 2012, 09:10 AM
cali (71,503 posts)
Heh  :lmao:

Response to GarroHorus (Original post)
Wed Jun 6, 2012, 09:07 AM
Freddie Stubbs (27,891 posts)
16. Apparently not all union members sympathize with public employee unions
Ya think?

Response to tjwash (Reply #17)
Wed Jun 6, 2012, 09:17 AM
Mayflower1 (66 posts)
31. Did he have a choice to join the union?

A lot of people who if given a choice, would not join the union. They are forced to and some resent that. at least 36% do
Therein lies the truth.
It would be fun to see Wisconsin vote in a right-to-work law. :fuelfire:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2012, 11:04:36 AM »
edhopper (5,259 posts)
12. I was in a Union

View profile
you'd be surprised how many Union people are Repugs who don't see how much the Unions have given them. The are many who buy into the right wing bullshit about greedy lazy workers and those "minorities" living on the government tit.

Given?  Unions haven't "given" me shit.  I was in an IBEW shop that played "work to rule" so hard it was amazing anything ever got done.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2012, 11:09:57 AM »
When you make everyone join a union to keep their job, you end up with a lot of people in the union who didn't like being made to join to mainly see themselves being ripped off by the union for dues every payday.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2012, 11:17:06 AM »
Given?  Unions haven't "given" me shit.  I was in an IBEW shop that played "work to rule" so hard it was amazing anything ever got done.

"Work to rule", is that why we motor repair workers can't do wiring in our own shop, not even change lightbulbs?

Offline 67 Rover

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2012, 11:25:15 AM »
Should we send a cruiser to Omaha Steve's house to do a welfare check?   Dude has to be in the depths of sorrow.   It's been a very bad year for the man.  :bawl:

He still has 6 months left in the year maybe things will turn around for the lump, not likely but possible. :rofl:

NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Gina

• Tinker Twat
  • Short Bus bound!
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2012, 11:33:13 AM »
Response to shcrane71 (Reply #1)
Wed Jun 6, 2012, 09:10 AM
cali (71,503 posts)

When even your own moles see this you know it's gotta be pathetic. 

I am cool if someone wants to join a union but I don't understand why one can be forced to join one.  It's so UNAMERICAN.

"An army of deer led by a lion is more to be feared than an army of lions led by a deer." Phillip of Macedonia, father to Alexander.

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2012, 11:41:34 AM »
When reading over the comments there, you can just hear the alert button being hammered.  :panic:
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45:51 AM »
They need to put their juries on union overtime wages.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.

Offline Linda

• American by birth. Southern by the grace of God.
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2012, 12:06:35 PM »
My hubby and I were just talking about the recall election....
there have been 3 Gov. recall elections...Walker is the only one to win ...the other two were democrats and they both lost....

That make the score ....
Republicans 3 wins
Democrats 3 losses

I like this trend......
A liberal who is mugged by reality becomes conservative.

Offline Karin

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2012, 12:18:06 PM »
I see little sparks of clarity here and there at the DUmp.  They're right, if only the DUmmies would listen.  The public has awoken to the problems these public unions present.  Politicians negotiating contracts with no skin in the game, scratching each other's backs.  The money laundering scheme that pumps money into the demokrat party.  The forced unionization.  The inequitable compensation packages compared to the private worker paying for them.  It's just not right, and it's just that simple. 

I think there is more of a favorability toward unions in heavy industry.  Some of that work is dirty, dangerous, and extremely unpleasant (I think of a paper mill, or a mine).  But these pencil pushers sitting in a bureaucratic cubicle, dreaming up little tyrannical regulations for his own jollies?  Does he really need the protection of a big powerful union? 

Offline Toastedturningtidelegs

• Holy Crap! Look at my
  • OBAMA PHONE!
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2012, 01:51:39 PM »
edhopper (5,259 posts)
12. I was in a Union

View profile
This dummie must live in a forced unionism state like the one i live in.I know quite a few UAW members who happen to be conservative. It's pretty common in non-right to work states. Dummies always assume every blue collar worker is a dyed in the wool liberal democrat and seem surprised when they find out that isn't the case.I belong to a union and i don't think i've been to a union meeting outside of voting at contract time in 10 years. I get all kinds of shit from my union brothers and sisters because of it too!  :lmao:
Call me "Asshole" One more time!

Offline Karin

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2012, 01:57:03 PM »
Dummies always assume every blue collar worker is a dyed in the wool liberal democrat and seem surprised when they find out that isn't the case.

Not only surprised, their heads explode!  This is the danger of their pidgeonhole thinking, where everyone stuck in a particular compartment must, must feel and think the same way.  They just can't seem to think outside of this box.  Look at Harry Reid.  He said "I don't know why any Hispanic would vote Republican."  Meanwhile, Marco Rubio is staring at him right in the face. 

Offline thundley4

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2012, 02:29:04 PM »
This dummie must live in a forced unionism state like the one i live in.I know quite a few UAW members who happen to be conservative. It's pretty common in non-right to work states. Dummies always assume every blue collar worker is a dyed in the wool liberal democrat and seem surprised when they find out that isn't the case.I belong to a union and i don't think i've been to a union meeting outside of voting at contract time in 10 years. I get all kinds of shit from my union brothers and sisters because of it too!  :lmao:

Our shop is only a small part of the union, and our contract votes are held in one of the training rooms of the company.  Most of the shop workers have only attended a couple of regular meetings. I've only been to two regular meetings . One was when I was sworn in twenty some years ago, and the other was when the union wanted to increase our working dues.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2012, 02:46:14 PM »

Here in NYS, it's said that 40% of the NYS (public) workforce is Republican.  Maybe slightly higher.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2012, 03:49:52 PM »
OK I gotta say it!!!

All your unions are belong to us!!!!

:-)
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2012, 07:14:02 PM »
cali (71,503 posts)

Repukes were telling people the voting booths were infested with earwigs.

Offline obumazombie

• Siege engine to lib fortresses
  • Last of the great minorities
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2012, 07:15:16 PM »

Repukes were telling people the voting booths were infested with earwigs.

\
Earwig trivia: They always have lebenty offspring.
There were only two options for gender. At last count there are at least 12, according to libs. By that standard, I'm a male lesbian.