Author Topic: Feds bag Blago...DUmp is uncommonly quiet  (Read 690 times)

Offline Skul

• Sometimes I drink water just to surprise my liver
  • Chief of the cathouse
Feds bag Blago...DUmp is uncommonly quiet
« on: June 27, 2011, 06:14:47 PM »
The beetle watch begins, then quietly dies.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4897902
cal04  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jun-27-11 11:43 AM
Original message
Blagojevich jury agrees on 18 counts, verdict to be read  
 Edited on Mon Jun-27-11 12:30 PM by cal04
Source: Associated Press

The jurors deliberating in the corruption trial of ousted Illinois Gov. Rod Blagojevich tell a judge they have reached a verdict on 18 of the 20 counts against him.

Attorneys in the case have agreed that the verdict should be read Monday. Judge James Zagel said that will happen in the afternoon.

The jury had returned to the federal courthouse in Chicago on Monday after nine days of deliberations. They've been talking over the evidence in the case over a three-week period.

Blagojevich has denied all wrongdoing, including allegations that he sought to sell or trade President Barack Obama's vacated U.S. Senate seat.

Read more: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110627/ap_on_re_us/us_blag...

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The judge said he expects the verdict to be announced in his courtroom between 1 and 2 p.m.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/local/breaking/chi-b...

Renew Deal  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jun-27-11 11:51 AM
Response to Original message
1. Those 18 charges went to mistrial last time right?
 I wonder what they came up with.

Seventeen guilties, that's what! :rotf:

The justifier wades in.
JDPriestly  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jun-27-11 04:00 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. This time the jury was probably screened more carefully by the prosecutors
 Edited on Mon Jun-27-11 04:09 PM by JDPriestly
to insure that Blagojevich serves time. The first try was a failure. Takes these prosecutors twice. I think Blagojevich did very little that was actually illegal. Somebody needs to keep a close eye on Rahm Emmanuel. That is my personal opinion.

Meanwhile, in my opinion, the Daly brothers organized the Chicago parking meter deal which deserves to be investigated.

Two governors jailed for corruption -- Siegelman and Daly. Meanwhile, far more serious corruption that has nearly bankrupted the country continues unpunished.
This was a show trial, and it took them two tries. I wonder who was on that jury.

I don't know Blagojevich, and I suspect I would not like him if I did. But why is he going to jail while Bush and Cheney (who "accidentally?" shot another man) are not serving time for their role in torture? As far as I know, Blagojevich did not actually do much of anything. Please correct me if you know of anything Blagojevich did other than talk about the committing the kind of corruption that passes for government in our country every day.

Exchanging favors. Isn't that what fuels our democracy at the highest levels? Blagojevich was all too direct in talking about that fact.

I think Blagojevich did very little that was actually illegal.
The jury begs to differ, seventeen times. :lmao:

Meanwhile, far more serious corruption that has nearly bankrupted the country continues unpunished.
Amen, brother.  Impeach Obama.

But why is he going to jail while Bush and Cheney (who "accidentally?" shot another man) are not serving time for their role in torture? As far as I know, Blagojevich did not actually do much of anything.
Bush and Cheney didn't break any laws, that's why.  Blago did, frog march him to the Hague. :yahoo:

cal04  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jun-27-11 03:09 PM
Response to Original message
5. Live at the courthouse waiting for the verdict, the judge now reading the verdict  
 Edited on Mon Jun-27-11 03:10 PM by cal04
http://abclocal.go.com/wls/livenow?id=8216836

This is the last post in that thread.  Notice the time.
Hasn't been a peep out of the primatives since the verdict was read.

New thread.
http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4898194
Hissyspit  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jun-27-11 03:16 PM
Original message
Blagojevich Found Guilty in Corruption Trial (Obama Senate Seat for Financial Benefit) 
 Edited on Mon Jun-27-11 04:04 PM by Hissyspit
Source: Reuters

Blagojevich found guilty in corruption

CHICAGO | Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:45pm EDT

CHICAGO (Reuters) - A jury in Chicago on Monday convicted former Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich on 17 of 20 counts in a corruption trial, including on charges he tried to swap President Barack Obama's former Senate seat for personal gain.

Blagojevich, a two-term Democrat thrown out of office in 2009, was found guilty on all but three counts of attempting to secure personal benefit and campaign funds in exchange for appointing a senator to fill the seat vacated by Obama after he was elected president in 2008.

This was his second trial. Blagojevich was convicted of one count of lying to federal officials in his first trial last August. But the jury couldn't reach a decision on the other counts, and prosecutors opted to retry him.

(Reporting by Andrew Stern; Editing by Cynthia Osterman)

Read more: http://mobile.reuters.com/article/idUSTRE75Q41Q20110627... 
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 06:25:04 PM by Skul »
Then-Chief Justice John Marshall observed, “Between a balanced republic and a democracy, the difference is like that between order and chaos.”

John Adams warned in a letter, “Remember democracy never lasts long. It soon wastes, exhausts, and murders itself. There never was a democracy yet, that did not commit suicide.”

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
Re: Feds bag Blago...DUmp is uncommonly quiet
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2011, 07:33:42 PM »
JDPriestly  (1000+ posts)        Mon Jun-27-11 04:00 PM
Response to Reply #1
6. This time the jury was probably screened more carefully by the prosecutors

I wonder if ole JD knows that both the prosecutor and the defense get a limited number of challenges to discharge a potential juror. After they're gone, that they have to take who's called.

Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2011, 07:58:46 PM »
I wonder if ole JD knows that both the prosecutor and the defense get a limited number of challenges to discharge a potential juror. After they're gone, that they have to take who's called.

Wouldn't matter if he did. Guy was a dem and that is automatically a pass in their book. Those eeevil conservative tea baggers rigged the jury so Blago would be shut up cause he was onto the the VRWC Chemtrail program and was about to give it to the press in 24 business hours.

:-)
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi

Offline tanstaafl

• I AM the NRA. And I VOTE
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2011, 05:59:12 AM »
Y'know, in the overall scheme of things in Illinois Politics, is there anyone out there that doesn't believe that Obama will pardon Blago? At the very latest minute possible?

Can't see Obama wanting to keep hearing about all the phone calls to and from Blago's office. Or about the conversations between Blago and Obama's messengers, or from Blago between the front and back nine at the resort prison he could probably end up at.

Mark my word, Blago does exactly "0" days in prison. Obama pardons because "he's suffered enough" and it shuts Blago's motor mouth.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2011, 06:04:11 AM »
Y'know, in the overall scheme of things in Illinois Politics, is there anyone out there that doesn't believe that Obama will pardon Blago? At the very latest minute possible?

Can't see Obama wanting to keep hearing about all the phone calls to and from Blago's office. Or about the conversations between Blago and Obama's messengers, or from Blago between the front and back nine at the resort prison he could probably end up at.

Mark my word, Blago does exactly "0" days in prison. Obama pardons because "he's suffered enough" and it shuts Blago's motor mouth.

Especially if Blago has something on obama. Either a pardon or a car wreck.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline Mr Mannn

« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2011, 06:07:25 AM »
I see no pardon before the election. It will kill O in the polls.
After the election (win or lose) sure it could happen. But in Chicago politics sympathy only goes so far. If you get caught you are on your own.

Besides, the media will spike any story that Blago blabs. Can't take down the presidency if no one can hear you.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2011, 06:15:55 AM »
I see no pardon before the election. It will kill O in the polls.
After the election (win or lose) sure it could happen. But in Chicago politics sympathy only goes so far. If you get caught you are on your own.

Besides, the media will spike any story that Blago blabs. Can't take down the presidency if no one can hear you.

The appeal process won't be completed until after the election. If a Republican gets elected, Blago meets Bubba.

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2011, 08:30:05 AM »
But why is he going to jail while Bush and Cheney (who "accidentally?" shot another man) are not serving time for their role in torture?

Bush will go right after Obama, who continued his policies.

Fool.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2011, 08:52:29 AM »
I'll post this here, too (I put it in the thread in BN):

Hey, lurking DUmb****s:  Merry Fitzmas! :yahoo: :tongue: :rofl: :ha: :moon:
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2011, 12:38:45 PM »
Blago to lawyer- "What happened" ???

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline I_B_Perky

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2011, 02:56:30 PM »
I'll post this here, too (I put it in the thread in BN):

Hey, lurking DUmb****s:  Merry Fitzmas! :yahoo: :tongue: :rofl: :ha: :moon:

Don't forget 24 business hours!

24 business hours until Fitzmas!!!
Living in the Dummies minds rent free since 2009!

Montani Semper Liberi