Author Topic: The Iran train has arrived at Rationalization Station  (Read 823 times)

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
The Iran train has arrived at Rationalization Station
« on: March 21, 2009, 11:47:15 AM »
Hissyspit  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Mar-21-09 09:57 AM
Original message
Iran's Supreme Leader Dismisses Obama's Appeal   Updated at 10:01 AM

Source: Voice of America

Iran's Supreme Leader Dismisses Obama's Appeal

By VOA News
21 March 2009

Iran's supreme leader is dismissing calls from U.S. President Barack Obama for a "new beginning" in relations between the two countries. Speaking in the holy city of Mashhad Saturday, Ayatollah Ali Khamenei said that, despite Mr. Obama's words, he sees no change in U.S. policy toward Iran. Earlier, a senior Iranian official welcomed the U.S. president's appeal while also warning words alone were not enough to improve relations.

In a videotaped message to the Iranian people marking the New Year holiday of Nowruz, Mr. Obama said Friday he is committed to diplomacy to address "serious differences" between the U.S. and Iran.

U.S. State Department spokesman Robert Wood said the message is one of several gestures planned by the administration to advance better relations with Iran. He said the U.S. was looking for a reciprocal gesture from Iran.

- snip -

Leaders of the European Union, Germany and France all welcomed Mr. Obama's overture to Iran. Mr. Obama's remarks are in contrast to those of his predecessor, George W. Bush, who tried to isolate Iran and described it as part of an "Axis of Evil." Iranian President Ahmadinejad has said Iran is ready for talks with the U.S. in an atmosphere of "mutual respect."

Obama gets smacked down by the mullahs

So, let's recap: Obama thought that the mullahs were all tuned in to MSNBC from August through to January, and all he needed to do was extend his ring out and they'd french-kiss it and wonder if he was the new Caliph.

Um, no. Obama has the wide-eyed naivete of an 11th-grade honors student writing her final exam on international relations, as do his lickspittle minions over at DeludedUnderground:

opihimoimoi  Donating Member  (1000+ posts)  Journal  Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Mar-21-09 10:10 AM
Response to Original message
1. Me thinks he gonna be sorry .............

Ooooh, yeah, a group of psychos who pine for the 14th century are going to be sorry that they shun a community organizer from Chicago. Right.

Wizard777  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Mar-21-09 12:51 PM
8. At some point we are going to have to address the wrongs we've done Iran.

Frankly, I think the best course is to deal with it coming out the starting gate. If we get it out of the way now. So it won't haunt us in future endeavors. It would be insincere and unrealistic to think we can reform a friendship without confronting the "differences" that destroyed the friendship in the first place. That would not work out between two people. It most definitely will not work out between two nations. It may provide for a rocky start. But clearing up our past would be a long term investment in future realtions. Good and lasting changes don't come easy. So it doesn't happen over night.

Dumb****, Iran doesn't want to be friends. They want to kill us, and they're pissed that they missed chances to kill us because we supported the Shah and diverted their attention.

acmavm  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Sat Mar-21-09 02:34 PM
10. The message wasn't wasted though. I bet, in fact I'm sure, that Obama

reached a large section of the population. Especially the young.

Don't ask me for proof, I don't have it. I just believe that young people who are looking for a better life, a peaceful safe and secure life, would rather hear the offer of reconciliation and negotiation than the bitter ramblings of a bunch of whackjob fundies who are stuck back in the Dark Ages looking for their road to power and control.

This is was a move by Obama that surprised the hell out of me. I didn't think he'd ever be so open and blatant in his overtures to that other Axis of Evil member, Iran. I think it was BRILLIANT! It shows that he is willing to be a true broker for peace in the Middle East, unlike Chimpy who thought he would be getting the Nobel for his ineptitude and blind support of the Zionists in Israel.

And the jew-haters chime in.

I wonder what it will take for liberals to comprehend that it doesn't matter who's in the White House, IRAN WANTS US DEAD. Jesus, HOW MANY years into the JEW-HATING CARTER PRESIDENCY were we when Iran took our embassy hostage? 
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Re: The Iran train has arrived at Rationalization Station
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 03:17:32 PM »
I wonder what it will take for liberals to comprehend that it doesn't matter who's in the White House, IRAN WANTS US DEAD. Jesus, HOW MANY years into the JEW-HATING CARTER PRESIDENCY were we when Iran took our embassy hostage?

The primitives think that if Iran or another country launched and won a jihad against America, that only those people and things good and decent here would be liquidated, while the primitives themselves would flourish and prosper.

apres moi, le deluge

Offline BannedFromDU

• Gyro Member
  • Nothing personal.
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 04:29:16 PM »
The primitives think that if Iran or another country launched and won a jihad against America, that only those people and things good and decent here would be liquidated, while the primitives themselves would flourish and prosper.

"Go to the gun shops, and get Form 4473...which detail private gun ownership." - Russian colonel in Red Dawn

"Hack DU...which details support of homosexual and feminist causes." - from the sequel.
NJCher (31,658 posts)

5. IMO

a certain percentage of DU is depressed and has other mental issues.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2009, 05:05:32 PM »
They are going to have real problems rationalising stuff over the next 4 years, too much material.
A familiar chant of “Death to America” echoed around a religious shrine in the northeastern city of Mashhad as Khamenei complained that Obama had “insulted the Islamic republic of Iran from the first day”.

He added: “If you are right that change has come, where is that change? Make it clear for us what has changed.”

Not on the hopeychange express.

Offline Tantal

• Right Wing Hardliner
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2009, 09:49:04 PM »
Wizard777  (1000+ posts) Response to Original message
8. At some point we are going to have to address the wrongs we've done Iran.

Yeah, we never should've stormed their embassy and taken their citizens as hostages for 444 days.........oh, wait........nevermind.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 10:32:45 AM by Tantal »
Never demand that which you are incapable of taking by force, DUmmie.

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2009, 10:02:59 PM »
I asked one of my foaming at the mouth liberal peace at all costs acquaintances what he would do if I came over and popped him one in the mouth...after he got woke up? He said he would beat my ass. After I got done laughing I said thanks for proving my point.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.