Author Topic: Primitives in Bible times?  (Read 2080 times)

Offline ChuckJ

Primitives in Bible times?
« on: April 01, 2010, 01:50:05 PM »
This is not about a particular post at the DUmp, but after reading the threads "Suffer the little children" and "hypochondrial primitve wants to unload used wood" I remembered something that I read in the Bible earlier this week.

It almost sounds like Paul is describing the primitives.

Romans 1:21-32 Yes, they knew God, but they wouldn't worship him as God or even give him thanks. And they began to think up foolish ideas of what God was like. The result was that their minds became dark and confused. Claiming to be wise, they became utter fools instead. And instead of worshiping the glorious, ever-living God, they worshiped idols made to look like mere people, or birds and animals and snakes. So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired. As a result, they did vile and degrading things with each other's bodies. Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about God, they deliberately chose to believe lies. So they worshiped the things God made but not the Creator himself, who is to be praised forever. Amen. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires. Even the women turned against the natural way to have sex and instead indulged in sex with each other. And the men, instead of having normal sexual relationships with women, burned with lust for each other. Men did shameful things with other men and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved. When they refused to acknowledge God, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done. Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and gossip. They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful. They are forever inventing new ways of sinning and are disobedient to their parents. They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving. They are fully aware of God's death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway. And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too.

Moderators, although this is not an attempt to proselytize if you feel this is posted here inappropriately and move it to the religious section I understand and offer my apologies.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
Re: Primitives in Bible times?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2010, 02:34:49 PM »
You are 100% correct.  The entire chapter of Revelation should be dedicated to the DUmmies since they are doing their best to accomplish all of the evil described there.  I honestly believe that if you forced some of them to read those verses their heads would explode.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2010, 04:13:03 PM »
What version of the Bible is that?

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2010, 04:17:51 PM »
Sounds like Paul hit the DUmmy nail right on the head.

Offline ChuckJ

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2010, 04:22:14 PM »
What version of the Bible is that?

New Living Translation. I usually read KJV but discovered the NLT a few months back. Since then I occasionally compare the two.
“Don’t vote for the person who tells you you deserve something. Just don’t do it if it’s something other than life, liberty, or the pursuit of possible happiness. If everyone is telling you you deserve something, vote for the one who is promising you the least. Be suspicious of the man or woman who tell you deserve everything. Because you don’t.” ---Mike Rowe

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2010, 04:28:10 PM »
Moderators, although this is not an attempt to proselytize if you feel this is posted here inappropriately and move it to the religious section I understand and offer my apologies.

It's fine right where it's at, sir.
apres moi, le deluge

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2010, 04:35:04 PM »
Sounds like liberals to me.

Facebooked!

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2010, 10:16:40 PM »
Maybe they should be forced to read it before they are sworn in
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2010, 05:31:29 PM »
Describes the left to a T

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #9 on: May 09, 2010, 05:35:22 PM »
"Primitives in Bible times," eh?

Philistines.

Next question?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 07:45:25 PM »
"Primitives in Bible times," eh?

Philistines.

Next question?

There's been a few disasters that wiped out primitives in large quantities. I seem to recall reading about a flood once. I think that it got to a point when it was easier to start over.

I see us heading in the same direction.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline soleil

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 08:06:59 PM »
That describes everyone who isn't a Chrisitian. There are many atheists, jews, agnostics, etc. at DU, but they are also found all over the world. All I can do is spread what I believe and hope it takes. There are so many out there that believe as hardcore in their beliefs as I do in mine. And then there are the extremists.

Offline Tucker

« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 09:16:58 PM »
That describes everyone who isn't a Chrisitian. There are many atheists, jews, agnostics, etc. at DU, but they are also found all over the world. All I can do is spread what I believe and hope it takes. There are so many out there that believe as hardcore in their beliefs as I do in mine. And then there are the extremists.

No. It's estimated that 84% of the worlds population believes in a God. The 16% just have a loud mouth.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline soleil

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 09:22:28 PM »
No. It's estimated that 84% of the worlds population believes in a God. The 16% just have a loud mouth.

But what God?

Offline Tucker

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 09:41:36 PM »
But what God?

That's the 64 thousand question. The God of Abraham and the Christian God are the same. Muslims think that Jesus was a disciple of God and not the Son of God. We're still referring to the same God. This would cover a large percentage of the planet.

I'm not too familiar with oriental/eastern religions.

Offline jinxmchue

« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2010, 10:10:20 PM »
Chuck, you totally stole that from me!

In all seriousness, though, the Bible is the anathema of modern liberalism.  Everything they stand for is condemned in it.