Author Topic: The Cave's membership is growing fast  (Read 26539 times)

Offline jtyangel

Re: The Cave's membership is growing fast
« Reply #50 on: January 09, 2008, 12:32:15 PM »

true enough... human beings arent static with ideas or thoughts that never change..

I agree that there are rifts within online message boards, and that splitter groups develop.  But I disagree vehemently that what happened to the mother board bore even a faint resemblance to anything that would have occurred naturally, had it not been for a single individual, and the totality of his conduct over a long period of time.

the problem was resolvable in a much less painful way for everyone concerned than 100 people (at last count) walking out the door in disgust.

saying that this last episode was in any way a "natural" event is to fundamentally miss the point, or perhaps intentionally ignore the point.  I'm not getting snitty with you, I just obviously have very a very strong opinion on the subject.

Well put.  I saw nonkultur in the Dome thread CW started on Sonna this morning.  He basically said he was staying away because all the hate on the board the last few weeks was bad for his mental health.

Has anyone extended him an invite here?

I purposely had not, even though I consider nonnie a friend because on NU it was said he was taking a break this political go round.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #51 on: January 09, 2008, 03:52:39 PM »

true enough... human beings arent static with ideas or thoughts that never change..

I agree that there are rifts within online message boards, and that splitter groups develop.  But I disagree vehemently that what happened to the mother board bore even a faint resemblance to anything that would have occurred naturally, had it not been for a single individual, and the totality of his conduct over a long period of time.

the problem was resolvable in a much less painful way for everyone concerned than 100 people (at last count) walking out the door in disgust.

saying that this last episode was in any way a "natural" event is to fundamentally miss the point, or perhaps intentionally ignore the point.  I'm not getting snitty with you, I just obviously have very a very strong opinion on the subject.

i know you do, and i didnt take it as snitty... my comment was only directed at zeus, not CU as a whole.

i certainly dont think it was a natural occurrence either. i dont begrudge gator, or anyone else, their whacky opinions, but when i constantly hear how much fun it was for just the first four original members, well.. i tend to think that's how they'd like it to be. just the four of them.

Offline Wretched Excess

• Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happy Hour
« Reply #52 on: January 09, 2008, 03:57:44 PM »

i know you do, and i didnt take it as snitty... my comment was only directed at zeus, not CU as a whole.

i certainly dont think it was a natural occurrence either. i dont begrudge gator, or anyone else, their whacky opinions, but when i constantly hear how much fun it was for just the first four original members, well.. i tend to think that's how they'd like it to be. just the four of them.

precisely! and you heard that so often from certain individuals that you had to believe it was parter of a larger strategy.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #53 on: January 09, 2008, 03:57:56 PM »

Yep, that's the jist of the reply I got as well.

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #54 on: January 09, 2008, 08:08:20 PM »

It's good to have change. Staying at one place does get boring sometimes.
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2008, 08:17:20 PM »
When I rode bikes, I was a member of a board that had a big blowout also due to a cocky ADMIN.   One of the members started his own board, and was followed by the majority of posters from the old board.
The old board is still there and new members did sign up...but the newer board became a much nicer place to post with a lot more bells and whistles.  The membership trippled, and still going strong about 7 years later.

However; I did get banned  :evillaugh: because they started a political sub-forum and since a majority of the posters were liberals...we fought...constantly.  Eventually, I did a suicide run because I got tired of fighting with the low-life's...so Speed-Addiction gave me a link to CU :-)

« Last Edit: January 09, 2008, 08:22:09 PM by Hawkgirl »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2008, 08:21:34 PM »
I have a habit of moving from board to board every few years.  Incidents like the Ronulan Hordes and asshole management are usually what provokes it.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #57 on: January 09, 2008, 08:23:17 PM »
I have a habit of moving from board to board every few years.  Incidents like the Ronulan Hordes and asshole management are usually what provokes it.
You just might be here a while then.   :-)
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #58 on: January 09, 2008, 08:27:03 PM »
If you remember dial-up BBS's and all-text browsers, you may have spent too much time on the internets.  I suspect some people here of being old enough to have used Morse code or teletype machines to send dirty jokes to each other.

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #59 on: January 09, 2008, 08:27:36 PM »
When I rode bikes, I was a member of a board that had a big blowout also due to a cocky ADMIN.   One of the members started his own board, and was followed by the majority of posters from the old board.
The old board is still there and new members did sign up...but the newer board became a much nicer place to post with a lot more bells and whistles.  The membership trippled, and still going strong about 7 years later.

However; I did get banned  :evillaugh: because they started a political sub-forum and since a majority of the posters were liberals...we fought...constantly.  Eventually, I did a suicide run because I got tired of fighting with the low-life's...so Speed-Addiction gave me a link to CU :-)

I love watching those suicide runs. I would have loved to seen that.  :-)

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #60 on: January 09, 2008, 08:28:54 PM »
If you remember dial-up BBS's and all-text browsers, you may have spent too much time on the internets.  I suspect some people here of being old enough to have used Morse code or teletype machines to send dirty jokes to each other.

We used something called 'Toss' back in '93 when I worked at a brokerage firm. It was a place at the bottom of our green-screened Quotron machines that we could type text to users. My future husband and i used that A LOT!  :-)

Offline Chris_

« Reply #61 on: January 09, 2008, 08:39:27 PM »

We used something called 'Toss' back in '93 when I worked at a brokerage firm. It was a place at the bottom of our green-screened Quotron machines that we could type text to users. My future husband and i used that A LOT!  :-)
I remember using some ASCII "browser" called COMit.  Most of the BBSes were runing PCBoard.  It was the late 80's/early 90's... I can't belive Google actually has a list of BBSes in my area code that old.  I must have been 12 or 13 years old. 

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #62 on: January 09, 2008, 08:41:51 PM »

I remember using some ASCII "browser" called COMit.  Most of the BBSes were runing PCBoard.  It was the late 80's/early 90's... I can't belive Google actually has a list of BBSes in my area code that old.  I must have been 12 or 13 years old. 

you know what is amazing? A lot of the heavy trading admin stuff is still heavy DOS. It still is quicker and more direct to work trading admin and corrections that way. Even the systems like Bloomberg are reminiscent of the Quotron, just more colorful.  :-)

Offline Hawkgirl

• Alpha Female
« Reply #63 on: January 09, 2008, 08:43:13 PM »

I love watching those suicide runs. I would have loved to seen that.  :-)

I had quite a few of those on that site...They actually created the political subforum because Speed and I always brought up politics in their General Discussion area.  It always got heated, so they created this subforum to keep most of the fighting in one area....It became the most popular area to see great drag out -knock out "fights".  
The ADMIN kept allowing me return after stupid liberal mods banned me, because, well, it just made better entertainment.  Now I don't post there anymore, and Speed posts very rarely..so it pretty much died down.  Won't be surprised if they eliminate it completely.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #64 on: January 09, 2008, 08:46:34 PM »

you know what is amazing? A lot of the heavy trading admin stuff is still heavy DOS. It still is quicker and more direct to work trading admin and corrections that way. Even the systems like Bloomberg are reminiscent of the Quotron, just more colorful.  :-)
There's something to be said for old technology.  The banks still use manual check-proofing machines to transfer funds.

I hated Windows 95.  I held out until '98 and used DOS 6.2.  And I absolutely HATE Windows Vista, even if it is just XP with a flashy interface and a new GUI engine.

Offline Dixie*Darling

« Reply #65 on: January 09, 2008, 08:51:31 PM »
I was a lurker for a long time at CU before I joined.  I had gotten tired of how large FR was/has gotten.  Even while lurking (at CU) I noticed a camaraderie between the members.  You don't get that at larger boards and it's too complicated to try to fit into some of the clicks that have already been established.  CU was warm and friendly and I felt comfortable. 

I didn't pay too much attention to Gator.  He wasn't a day-to-day poster so I had no interaction with him.  The invasion and treatment of long term members was a real eye opener. 

I joined FR, CU and now this board to learn.  It's as simple as that.  I don't watch much TV.  My news basically comes from online sources. I want my vote to be an informed choice when the time comes.  If I make some friends along the way, hey, it's all good!

Thanks friends, for having me here.   :rocker2:

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #66 on: January 09, 2008, 08:52:36 PM »

There's something to be said for old technology.  The banks still use manual check-proofing machines to transfer funds.

I hated Windows 95.  I held out until '98 and used DOS 6.2.  And I absolutely HATE Windows Vista, even if it is just XP with a flashy interface and a new GUI engine.

I'm not really technology savvy, but I agree with you about some of the older technology. With brokerage firms integrating more and more of the advances out there, they have still stuck with a DOS system in some areas...They use Access and Excel heavily too, of course, but those that did the admin work still used the DOS system heavily. My husband still does trading on Bloomberg which is reminicent of the old Quotron(imo).

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #67 on: January 09, 2008, 09:11:29 PM »
I was a lurker for a long time at CU before I joined.  I had gotten tired of how large FR was/has gotten.  Even while lurking (at CU) I noticed a camaraderie between the members.  You don't get that at larger boards and it's too complicated to try to fit into some of the clicks that have already been established.  CU was warm and friendly and I felt comfortable. 

I didn't pay too much attention to Gator.  He wasn't a day-to-day poster so I had no interaction with him.  The invasion and treatment of long term members was a real eye opener. 

I joined FR, CU and now this board to learn.  It's as simple as that.  I don't watch much TV.  My news basically comes from online sources. I want my vote to be an informed choice when the time comes.  If I make some friends along the way, hey, it's all good!

FR has become too much of an insult,oneupsmanship,argue over everything place.
It is also very demeaning to ladies treating them as second class citizens.
Not what I consider Conservative or wish to associate with so asked that my account there be closed.
It is still there to look at but I can`t log in as I requested,so landed at CU.

CU in some ways can be a tough nut to crack but there were enough decent folks to keep trying.

They are all here now.

Offline Attero Dominatus

• VRWC Psionics Corps
  • Ipsa Scientia Potestas Est
« Reply #68 on: January 09, 2008, 10:33:35 PM »

FR has become too much of an insult,oneupsmanship,argue over everything place.
It is also very demeaning to ladies treating them as second class citizens.
Not what I consider Conservative or wish to associate with so asked that my account there be closed.
It is still there to look at but I can`t log in as I requested,so landed at CU.

CU in some ways can be a tough nut to crack but there were enough decent folks to keep trying.

They are all here now.

FR is heavily populated with statists. Not what I would call conservative at all.

CU was great until the paulistinians showed up.

Those who would trade their liberty for temporary security will get neither. --Benjamin Franklin.

Offline Lauri

« Reply #69 on: January 09, 2008, 11:25:06 PM »

ok, well, im not THAT old... but i did start my message board hijinks on IRC when it just had a few hundred forums.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #70 on: January 09, 2008, 11:42:25 PM »

FR is heavily populated with statists. Not what I would call conservative at all.

FR is full of anti-science Luddites who still think there was a Global Flood that crated the Grand Canyon and that fossils were planted by God in the last 6,000 years to test their faith.

Some of those made their way to CU.

Hopefully none have made it here to CC.

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #71 on: January 09, 2008, 11:45:06 PM »

FR is full of anti-science Luddites who still think there was a Global Flood that crated the Grand Canyon and that fossils were planted by God in the last 6,000 years to test their faith.

Some of those made their way to CU.

Hopefully none have made it here to CC.

I guess we all have our opinions, but I am always surprised by the anti-religious sentiment that I see at a conservative message board.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #72 on: January 10, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »

If Gator keeps stiring the pot then all they will have left is 4 people.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2008, 10:33:26 PM by Airwolf »
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Wretched Excess

« Reply #73 on: January 10, 2008, 10:44:32 PM »

but one of them will be happy.  that's all that matters.

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #74 on: January 10, 2008, 10:47:33 PM »

but one of them will be happy.  that's all that matters.

There will always be five.  You forgot about LogansPapa.  He's a jewel.  :mental: