Author Topic: How can a 'fellow black American' oppose Obama?  (Read 946 times)

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
How can a 'fellow black American' oppose Obama?
« on: July 03, 2008, 02:52:44 PM »
How can a 'fellow black American' oppose Obama?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: June 26, 2008
1:00 am Eastern

© 2008 

Mr. Elder,

I am shocked that you oppose Barack Obama and belong to the Republican Party. We must get over ourselves and realize there is room at the top for everyone, and we must get there by helping each other – instead of agreeing with policies and old politics that are proven not to work.

To endorse John McCain, a person who will not make it easier for the underprivileged, is just too much. How can a fellow black American feel this way?

Your Former Supporter

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Former Supporter,

Do you have any Republican friends, let alone black ones? If so, how many of them want to make it harder "for the underprivileged"?

You also might want to familiarize yourself with the history of the Democratic and Republican parties, and see which party has stood up longer for the rights of people of color. Do you know that Democrats opposed the 13th, 14th and 15th amendments to the Constitution – abolishing slavery, granting citizenship rights to newly freed slaves, and guaranteeing the right to vote (at least on paper) to blacks, respectively? Do you know that most of the politicians who stood for segregation were Southern Democrats? Do you know that the Ku Klux Klan was founded by Democrats, one of whose goals was to stop the spread of the Republican Party? Do you know that, as a percentage of the party, more Republicans than Democrats voted for the Civil Rights Act of 1964?

More of Larry Elder's fantabulous opinion piece here
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
Re: How can a 'fellow black American' oppose Obama?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 02:55:01 PM »
I got behind in my reading and didn't get to the opinion page of the IBD weekend edition until yesterday after reading the big long thread in the Dumpster.  I have read most of the things Mr. Elder elucidates here before but it seems timely.

Be well.

On edit: I did a search on Larry Elder and Obama and didn't find this posted already and I also looked through a couple of pages in this forum so if it is a dupe, so be it.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline jtyangel

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 03:18:14 PM »
I sent the exact same thing to the Oprah show one time when she got the Civil Rights Act of 1964 thing all mixed up. I never did get a response.  :whatever: :-)

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2008, 03:49:03 PM »
Compassion is not about making people dependent on government. Compassion is about encouraging personal responsibility, and getting people to understand that life is about making choices. Poverty does not cause crime. Crime causes poverty. Poverty does not cause a child to have a child. A child having a child causes poverty. Finishing high school is a choice. Not joining a gang is a choice. Not having a child until you have the maturity and the means to raise that child is a choice.

Preach it, brother! :rocker2:
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site