Author Topic: Reopening black farmers' suits could cost billions  (Read 919 times)

Offline Willow

• Limousine
Reopening black farmers' suits could cost billions
« on: June 29, 2008, 10:23:37 AM »
WASHINGTON —  Lawmakers budgeted just $100 million for damages when they reopened the government's discrimination settlement with black farmers. They probably should have handed over a blank check.

With more than 70,000 potential claimants, the liability could exceed $3 billion _ three times what was paid out in the original 1999 agreement.

The settlement was reopened thanks to legislation added to the farm bill passed last month. It illustrates how lawmakers often manipulate pay-as-you-go budget rules to give the appearance they are balancing the federal checkbook.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jun28/0,4670,BlackFarmersLawsuits,00.html

My question is if a settlement was reached in 1999 why are they reopening it? Legislation in the farm bill last lmonth? Is this a polite way of say "reparations"?

Offline PatriotGame

• Look at my BIG feet! Woof!
Re: Reopening black farmers' suits could cost billions
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2008, 05:35:49 PM »
WASHINGTON —  Lawmakers budgeted just $100 million for damages when they reopened the government's discrimination settlement with black farmers. They probably should have handed over a blank check.

With more than 70,000 potential claimants, the liability could exceed $3 billion _ three times what was paid out in the original 1999 agreement.

The settlement was reopened thanks to legislation added to the farm bill passed last month. It illustrates how lawmakers often manipulate pay-as-you-go budget rules to give the appearance they are balancing the federal checkbook.

http://www.foxnews.com/wires/2008Jun28/0,4670,BlackFarmersLawsuits,00.html

My question is if a settlement was reached in 1999 why are they reopening it? Legislation in the farm bill last lmonth? Is this a polite way of say "reparations"?

Why? It makes great excuses to justify vote buying for one of the democrats protected class victims.
           ►☼Liberals Are THE Root of ALL Evil!☼◄