Author Topic: Hurricane Camille  (Read 1764 times)

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
Hurricane Camille
« on: June 11, 2008, 10:00:00 PM »
A tropical wave left Africa on August 5, 1969 and moved across the open waters of the Atlantic Ocean. On August 14th, it was identified as a tropical storm off the coast of the Cayman Island. It deepened into a Category 3 hurricane with 115 mph winds and hit western Cuba. Once it was over the Gulf of Mexico, it was weakened to a Category 2 hurricane with 100 mph winds. The conditions was perfect for rapid strengthening due to the warm water and the Loop Current. On August 17th, Hurricane Camille explodes into a full blown Category 5 hurricane with 190 mph sustained winds and a pressure between 895 to 905 millbars, making it one of the most intense hurricanes on record. Hurricane Camille heads for the Gulf coast and first hits southeastern Louisiana as a Category 5 hurricane and moves north towards Bay St. Louis, Mississippi. It has sustain winds of at least 175 mph and central pressure of 909 millibar. Camille produces storm 25 foot storm surge on the Mississippi coast. Heavy rain and strong winds devastates Mississippi and Louisiana coast. 143 people died in the Gulf Coast, mostly in Mississippi, where 113 died. New Orleans was spared the worst of the hurricane. Parts of eastern New Orleans had wind gust as high as 100 mph. Mississippi had wind gust as high as 210 mph. Hurricane Camille maintains its hurricane status 150 miles inland, then weakens into a tropical storm then depression. However, it is not over yet. Once, it is over western Virginia and West Virginia on the night of August 20th, a massive rainstorm develops over the region. In a 8 hour period, up to 31 inches of rain fell, causing the James River to flood a large part of Nelson County. Some believe, as much as 46 inches of rain fell in that time period. 153 people perished in the flood from the remnants of Camille. Then Camille continues to barrel towards the east coast and eventually the Atlantic Ocean, where it re-develops into a tropical storm and becomes extratropical on August 22nd off the coast of Nova Scotia, Canada. The so-called hurricane party in Mississippi never happened, but that legend still persist to this day. Hurricane Camille is the second most intense hurricane to make landfall on American soil, after the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane. Also, it is one of the several recorded Category 5 hurricanes to make landfall on America, besides the 1935 Labor Day Hurricane and Hurricane Andrew of 1992. Hurricane Camille was considered the bench mark of hurricanes in the Gulf Coast until 2005 when Hurricane Katrina, a much larger hurricane, which produced storm surge as high as 35 feet and claiming many more lives and causing even more damage on the Gulf Coast.

Wikipedia-Hurricane Camille
Hurricane Camille
Maritime Museum-Hurricane Camille
Harris County Public Library-Hurricane Camille
Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
Re: Hurricane Camille
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 10:14:18 PM »
Thanks for the refresher course in history, but what is the point ??
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:22:05 PM »

He, and a few others, post things about history in the GD. Been going on since we started. This one interests me because I'm a Mississippian. One thing that happened, is Waveland, Ms. was destroyed. Obliterated. They rebuilt. Katrina destroyed them again. ....but don't tell the MSM. See, they're white there and, as we all know, Katrina only affected black people in New Orleans.  :whatever:

Camille split an entire island, one that held a revolutionary war fort, Fort Massachusetts. Now, Ship Island is two islands. My father was at Parris Island at the time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:23:51 PM by Rebel »
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline djones520

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:26:13 PM »

He, and a few others, post things about history in the GD. Been going on since we started. This one interests me because I'm a Mississippian. One thing that happened, is Waveland, Ms. was destroyed. Obliterated. They rebuilt. Katrina destroyed them again. ....but don't tell the MSM. See, they're white there and, as we all know, Katrina only affected black people in New Orleans.  :whatever:

Camille split an entire island, one that held a revolutionary war fort, Fort Massachusetts. Now, Ship Island is two islands. My father was at Parris Island at the time.

If I recall correctly, Katrina did a number on Ship Island as well.  The Fort was severely damaged (civil war era fort btw), and the light house was destroyed.  Something like 60% of the island was lost.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:31:44 PM »
If I recall correctly, Katrina did a number on Ship Island as well.  The Fort was severely damaged (civil war era fort btw), and the light house was destroyed.  Something like 60% of the island was lost.

Actually, you're wrong. It is a fort that had something to do with the Brits....just had the wrong war.

http://www.nps.gov/archive/guis/extended/MIS/MHistory/Forts.htm

I'm a Mississippian and have stepped on Ship Island probably 2 times more than anyone on this site.

EDIT: Correction, yes, it was "around" the Civil War, but construction began before anyone in Mississippi was even thinking about a secession.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:33:31 PM by Rebel »

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline jukin

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:22:48 PM »
I think the point is that hurricanes hate white people and black people.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline djones520

« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 06:54:47 PM »

Actually, you're wrong. It is a fort that had something to do with the Brits....just had the wrong war.

I'm a Mississippian and have stepped on Ship Island probably 2 times more than anyone on this site.

EDIT: Correction, yes, it was "around" the Civil War, but construction began before anyone in Mississippi was even thinking about a secession.

I've been there myself.  It was a fun day trip while I was at Keesler AFB for some training.  Fort Massachussets construction began in 1859 though.  The Island itself was used as a staging point for the British fleet and army during the Battle of New Orleans.

"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:44:40 PM »
Thanks for posting. My mom and grandparents were down there right after it happened. Surreal to hear them tell it. I can remember driving around the Coast and seeing some of the houses that were never repaired.
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 07:53:48 PM »
My brother was stationed at Keesler AFB when Camille came through.  He said the first thing the Generals had the enlisted men clean up was the golf course.

Of course many from Keesler went out to help cleanup the community, but he recalls they were cleaning up a certain area and saw some Red Cross people handing out food and water.  He and some of his buddies had not eaten or had any water for a while so they went over to get some.  The Red Cross people said they wouldn't give any of it to servicemen which, to this day, he still won't give a dime to the Red Cross because of that.  Can't say that I blame him since they were helping clean up and could have at least received some water.

My parents and I had just moved from Tupelo, MS to Tampa, FL in early June of that year, and a few weeks after the hurricane came through we went to see my brother and his wife.  I just remember how torn up everything was, but at least President Jeff Davis' house was still standing.  :-)

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline djones520

« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 08:36:17 PM »
My brother was stationed at Keesler AFB when Camille came through.  He said the first thing the Generals had the enlisted men clean up was the golf course.

Of course many from Keesler went out to help cleanup the community, but he recalls they were cleaning up a certain area and saw some Red Cross people handing out food and water.  He and some of his buddies had not eaten or had any water for a while so they went over to get some.  The Red Cross people said they wouldn't give any of it to servicemen which, to this day, he still won't give a dime to the Red Cross because of that.  Can't say that I blame him since they were helping clean up and could have at least received some water.

My parents and I had just moved from Tupelo, MS to Tampa, FL in early June of that year, and a few weeks after the hurricane came through we went to see my brother and his wife.  I just remember how torn up everything was, but at least President Jeff Davis' house was still standing.  :-)

Katrina destroyed it I think.

Offline Rebel

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: June 12, 2008, 08:38:53 PM »

I hope not. It did, however, destroy Trent Lott's home. That f'n idiot.  :whatever:

Best Senator we have from Mississippi is our senior senator, Thad Cochran. He's not a primadonna, which is why most have never heard of him even THOUGH he'd been in office longer than Lott.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #11 on: June 12, 2008, 08:48:41 PM »

I hope not. It did, however, destroy Trent Lott's home. That f'n idiot.  :whatever:

Best Senator we have from Mississippi is our senior senator, Thad Cochran. He's not a primadonna, which is why most have never heard of him even THOUGH he'd been in office longer than Lott.

It's a shame about Lott.  He's from Duck Hill which is just south of Grenada, so you'd think someone raised in that area would have a backbone, but alas...

As for Presidents Davis' home, it was badly damaged but they finished restoring it 100% just recently.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.