Author Topic: zapping primitive busy tonight  (Read 528 times)

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
zapping primitive busy tonight
« on: February 02, 2013, 03:08:16 AM »
http://www.democraticunderground.com/10022298201

Oh my.

MarianJack (7,048 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:03 PM

Earlier tonight, another DUer apologized for a "hidden by jury" post. A few thoughts...

This discussion thread was locked as off-topic by zappaman (a host of the General Discussion forum).

...about that action of great integrity and candor.

In this site, I am not, haven't been and will never be a bomb-thrower. In almost 10 years here, I have been in exactly ONE flame war. I will admit that the person with whom I had that exchange is not my favorit person here. However, I have only 6 people on my ignore list and that person isn't one of them. I go out of my way to be civil, even when in disagreement and I avoid the most contentious threads with a pasion.

I've had 3 posts hidden by jury or deleted by the moderators since I've been here. 2 were OPs in the old DU and 1 hidden by jury here. The 2 ops were about the rather easy virtue of george w shithead"s spawn and the other was an inappropriate comment about an alleged lack of grace when I saw an old video of Natalee Halloway in a cheerleader routine. The post that was hidden by jury was one where I used an inappropriate term or 2 about the wicked witch of the west (AKA Jam Brewer).

I agree that the post about george w shithead's daughters was out of bounds, not because I have anything even remotely resembling an iota of respect for them, but because I believe that the children are off limits in a political debate. That was made difficult becaue of sarah palin(comparison)'s kids and the entire romney family.

I was wrong with the Natalee Halloway post because she was a CHILD who went on a vacation to have fun and was (most likely) murdered by a rich little shit who seems to portray a romneyesque attitude of entitlement. I think he probably thought he had a right to kill her.

In each of these cases, I should have heeded my mom's old advice of "weigh it before you say it".

I guess that my point is that we all are human and we all make mistakes now and again. I am nowhere near stupid enough to say I won't do something that I regret again.

That's my 2 cents, and quite probably overpriced at that!

Warpy (66,763 posts)    Fri Feb 1, 2013, 10:09 PM

1. I've had a couple hidden. None so far on DU3 but I'm certainly capable of being tactless enough, so I'm sure it's coming sooner or later.

Yes, people have bad days and let fly. In some cases, people let fly when some other person has it coming and it has to be said and getting a post hidden is worth it.

Walking away from a flame war before it really gets going is hard to do. I don't make it out 100% of the time, but I'm working on it.

However, we need to be as tolerant of ourselves as we try to be of others. That's the hardest thing to do, whether or not someone manages to get our posts hidden.

Having posts hidden won't get anyone on my ignore list. Trying to treat me like shit does.

zappaman (7,085 posts)    Sat Feb 2, 2013, 02:15 AM

11. Locking

This is a META post. Please post there.
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Aristotelian

Re: zapping primitive busy tonight
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2013, 04:04:02 AM »
See what happens when bullies are allowed to get away with small matters, they move onto larger ones...

Keep up the good work zappa ;)

Offline miskie

• Mailman for the VRWC
  • Administrator
  • Make America Great Again. Deport some DUmmies.
Re: zapping primitive busy tonight
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2013, 05:33:25 AM »
I have never had a post hidden at DU3.