Author Topic: Saturday at Cumberland University  (Read 847 times)

Offline Rebel Yell

• Redneck with a Brain
  • One more month, and I can forget about Obama.
Saturday at Cumberland University
« on: May 06, 2008, 11:32:47 AM »
I'm going to see him in concert Saturday.

Saturday at Cumberland University

This past Saturday, Hazel and myself were honored to receive an award at the commencement exercises at Cumberland University, a small school a few miles from our home in Lebanon, Tennessee, and I was asked to say a few words to the graduating class which I found to be respectful, attentive and appreciative.

As I feel that the remarks contain much of my philosophy toward professionalism and our nation, I would like to share them with any high school or college graduates who happen to be reading this column and also with my regular readers, in hopes that it will bring some street-level encouragement to those who are about to enter the real world of commerce and service.

To all who are responsible for bestowing this great honor on my wife and myself, we say thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

I have had the blessing of seeing a goodly part of this planet and have enjoyed it all and I love the United States of America from coast-to-coast and border-to-border and enjoy visiting all the places in our beautiful country, but when I think of home there's only one place on earth that fits that description and that's Wilson County Tennessee. My wife, my son and myself have truly found a home sweet home here.

This award is so special because it's being presented by the home folks. We will always remember this day, this honor and this graduating class. If you'll allow me, I would like to say a word to the class of 2008.

If you only read newspapers or watched news reports on television you would think that the world you're about to walk out into is a place of turmoil, teetering on the edge of financial Armageddon, with little hope, a calloused and jaded society where prejudice runs rampant and industry is faltering.

While I would admit that this country and this world has problems to deal with, there are rewards untold for those who would be bold enough and industrious enough to roll up their sleeves and help solve those problems.

The exponential growth of technology shows no signs of letting up. The genie is out of the bottle and the opportunities in that field are only limited by the extent of one's dreams.

The energy problem we face can and will be solved by energetic young minds who believe in the future and are not afraid to think outside the box.

This election cycle has seen the fall of race and gender taboos as either a woman or an African American will be the presidential candidate for a major political party for the first time in our history and have torn down barriers, and created a level playing field for those bold enough to pursue that course.

The near miraculous strides made in medicine in recent times are only the tip of the iceberg. The cure for cancer is out there somewhere waiting to be discovered by some restless, dynamic mind who is willing to expend the passion and the sweat equity to seek out it's hiding place.

Please don't let the newspaper headlines or television soundbites scare you. The opportunities are still there and the world always has a special place for those who are willing to march a couple of steps ahead of the crowd.

It all boils down to what do you want out of life and how badly do you want it.

Do you want it badly enough to be the first one to get there and the last one to leave? Do you want it badly enough to work while everybody else is playing?

Now don't get me wrong. There is nothing wrong with forty-hours a week and a house in the suburbs. That's a wonderful way to spend your life if you so desire, but if you have a fire in your belly, if you can't handle the mundane, the ordinary, the run of the mill and you feel like there's something better out there for you, I hardily encourage you to go for it. To dream it and do it. To pursue it to the ends of the Earth and beyond if necessary, always believing and always reaching for your goal.

I left Wilmington, North Carolina fifty years ago with a guitar and a dream, and came to Nashville forty-one years ago with a twenty-dollar bill, a wife and baby and the clutch out of the car I was driving.

Through, and only through, the grace and blessings of Almighty God I fought the odds, ran the race and have been able to see dreams come true. I have been places and done things that I didn't even have the imagination to dream about fifty years ago.

Has it been challenging? Yes. Has it been easy? No. Would I do it all again? Absolutely.

Ladies and gentlemen I congratulate you for completing the race, for staying the course, for receiving the diplomas that you've worked so hard for.

The world awaits you, go and find your part of it and make it a better place.

God bless the class of 2008.

What do you think?

Pray for our troops

God bless America

Charlie Daniels

May 5 , 2008
I feel that once a black fella has referred to white foks as "honky paleface devil white-trash cracker redneck Caspers," he's abdicated the right to get upset about the "N" word. But that's just me. -- Jim Goad