Author Topic: A couple of questions for the gardeners out there . . .  (Read 13973 times)

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
A couple of questions for the gardeners out there . . .
« on: May 18, 2011, 12:24:55 PM »
Where I am, Memorial Day is regarded as the start of the gardening season.  But, I've got a few window boxes that I'm growing things in, for quick-grab stuff for dinner.  Anyway, I was noticing the spacing between the broccoli plants in one window box, and the spacing between the spinach plants in another window box, and I thought, That's a lot of space!  Could I put something else there?  My first thought was radishes.  Any opinions on this, or anything else (tomato plants, pepper plants, green beans, etc.) I could put in between the spinach and broccoli plants?

And, where I am, we have cutworms.  A few nailed three of my cousin's tomato plants the night after he planted them.  He remembered a tip that our grandmother had used to deal with cutworms--wrap the stems of the fledgling tomato plants in wax paper and tape the wax paper together.  Make sure that the paper is in the soil about 1/2".  Cutworms won't touch the stems that are in the wax paper.  When the plant gets big enough, its' growth will break the wax paper.  Anyonw else try/do this?
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
Re: A couple of questions for the gardeners out there . . .
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2011, 12:30:00 PM »
Basil :yum:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2011, 01:00:42 PM »
Basil :yum:

My SIL told me that.  She told me that planting basil around the tomato plants improves the taste of the tomatoes.  I'm not too sure how this is done, but . . . The music director at my church is my basil contact.
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2011, 01:05:53 PM »
I have no idea... I just like basil.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline BlueStateSaint

Chase her.

Offline BattleHymn

• Not right, but not left, either.
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2011, 01:27:55 PM »
This might help you.  My parents have been companion planters for a good long time, and I am getting into it myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

A google search of "companion planting" will yield some good info, too.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2011, 06:57:29 PM »
Marigolds will also help keep away some of the insects.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2011, 04:39:09 AM »
Marigolds will also help keep away some of the insects.

I've got a whole bunch of marigold seeds, and I'm going to plant a bunch of full-sized marigolds as well.

Chase her.

Offline catsmtrods

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2011, 04:52:15 AM »
Broccoli is very cold hardy. I plant it in the garden as soon as I can work the soil. It can take some frost and acually does better in the cold and you avoid its worst pest the cabbage moth (those gross little green worms). It needs alot of room both above and below the soil so I wonder how much you got? Radishes will grow fast with little room.
"Liberalism is an essentially feminine, submissive world view. Perhaps a better adjective than feminine is infantile. It is the world view of men who do not have the moral toughness, the spiritual strength to stand up and do single combat with life, who cannot adjust to the reality that the world is not a huge, pink-and-blue, padded nursery in which the lions lie down with the lambs and everyone lives happily ever after."

~ Dr. William Pierce

"How many more times are we going to cower under tables and chairs, whimpering like mindless dogs, thinking that someone else has the responsibility to save and protect us?"

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2011, 07:06:51 AM »
Broccoli is very cold hardy. I plant it in the garden as soon as I can work the soil. It can take some frost and acually does better in the cold and you avoid its worst pest the cabbage moth (those gross little green worms). It needs alot of room both above and below the soil so I wonder how much you got? Radishes will grow fast with little room.

Right now, it's in a window box.  My sister-in-law told me that it could grow "wide" very easily.  I'll see how many radishes I get out of that window box before it gets too crowded.

Chase her.

Offline IassaFTots

• In WTF-istan, I am considered a
  • Oh well, I wasn't using my civil liberties anyway.
« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2011, 07:57:03 AM »
This might help you.  My parents have been companion planters for a good long time, and I am getting into it myself.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_companion_plants

A google search of "companion planting" will yield some good info, too.

Nice Link!  I am getting into it as well. 
R.I.P. LC and Crockspot.  Miss you guys.

The infinite is possible at zombocom.  www.zombo.com

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline Celtic Rose

• All American Girl
« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2011, 08:16:57 AM »
I really like growing radishes in small spaces in the garden, and I've had pretty good luck with them.  I'd put a few seeds in and see how they do.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2011, 10:44:05 AM »
Radishes are good, also quick growing stuff like salad leaves which you can harvest as a baby leaf before it grows too big. Spring onions would work too.

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2011, 11:06:48 AM »
I have been dealing with white flies on the tomatoes and cutworms on the collards and watermelons here. I pitched some Sevin Dust on all of them and that really knocked the fight out of them. The plants have shown steady growth over the past few weeks since I did that and I haven't seen much insect pop. since then. Hit them with about 5 gallons of Bonnie's plant food yesterday before our big rain here and we'll see how that goes
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2011, 07:47:59 AM »
Well, we're turning the ground for the Parish Community Garden at 10 AM today, and I have a gray fungus growing on my tomato seedlings.  I've got a fungicide that I've been spraying on them.  Hopefully, I can salvage the seedlings.  Two radishes have broken the soil.  I think I have another spinach plant in a corner of a window box, too.  The Iceberg lettuce leaves are growing like weeds.

Talking with my sister-in-law yesterday, she noted that she has had tomato hookworms.  I told her about the basil solution.  I have no idea whether or not she'll do that.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #15 on: May 28, 2011, 08:41:36 AM »
At the risk of pimping my own thread similar to how a DUmb**** would do, we staked out three rows of plots--21 in all--Thursday evening, with storm clouds all over the place.  No rain on us, though.  I do have to go over and level my plot out.  As for the tomato seedlings, I saved all but two.  They're growing again.  I had to go out and get some tomato plants for the Topsy-Turvy planters--I got three, two Cherokee Purple and one Red Beefsteak, all heirloom plants.  I also got one hybrid cherry tomato plant by mistake (I'll put it in a window box or something).  I put them into the planters yesterday and turned the planters so that the plants would get maximum sun, and they're growing well because of that (after 1/2 day!).  The bush beans I started are growing well in the window boxes.  Radishes, broccoli, spinach--they're also growing well.  The Iceberg head lettuce is growing well, too. 

Back at the church--I'll be leveling the plot today, and planting on Monday.  I'm going to plant potatoes--Russett Banana and Yukon Gold--and onions (Stuttgarter), along with a bunch of salad greens, beans (yellow and green), peas, yellow and green zucchinis, cucumbers, etc., with a marigold border (for squirrels and rabbits--MSB, could you comment on this?).  If our plots don't fill up fast enough, I'll grab the one next to mine for some things that I might have forgotten in the first bunch--maybe watermelons.

Chase her.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #16 on: May 28, 2011, 08:54:44 AM »
Good for you!  I have about 20 baby zucchinis now, and my cucumber and pepper plants are blooming like crazy.  Tomatoes got off to a slow start.  Boyfriend's garden has corn and potatoes, as well as peppers and tomatoes.  We should be eating very well in the next few weeks.  Picking up marigolds and strawberries today. 

"The ultimate measure of a man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy." ~ Martin Luther King

“Political Correctness is about turning a blind eye to painful reality because your comfortable feelings are more important to you than saving lives and providing quality of life to people who work their ass off to be productive and are a benefit to this great American Dream"  ~Ted Nugent

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #17 on: May 28, 2011, 01:51:15 PM »
Well, I spent an hour and a bit leveling the 350 sq. ft. with a cultivator rake . . . and if I had a dollar for every time I had to pull a staghorn sumac root out of the plot, I'd have a Ben Franklin and at least an Alexander Hamilton in my pocket right now.  It's not 3 PM and I've had to hit the showers three times today.  My wife told me that if I had to do it again today . . . ! :o :o :o I did buy 40 pounds of potting soil, and I filled the Topsy-Turvys with that.  I'm beat from that time.  I did bring a water bottle, but like a fool, I didn't drink much of it.  

'Course, starting in the wrong plot didn't make matters any easier. :thatsright:

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2011, 07:46:47 AM »
Well, there's a fair amount planted . . . and coming up.  But, I noticed something this morning--the birds--crows, I think--nailed a couple of the green zucchini sprouts.  Really pisses me off.  But they haven't nailed the yellow summer zucchini sprouts yet.

One of the other gardeners--actually, the parish POC for the plot--gave me some tomato plants.  She said that the name of the type is "Heritage," with rather sweet-tasting tomatoes.  I put some basil seeds in between them.  My tomato plants that I started from seeds are getting there, but not as fast as I'd like for them to grow.  One of my potato hills has an ant nest (small ants--maybe 3/8" long, and thinner than red ants, and browner) in it, but maybe the ants will keep the bad insects out.

Back at the apartment, I've got three cherry tomatoes that are ripening.  The Heiress has already spoken for those.  She nails all of the strawberries that I pick, too.

Chase her.

Offline JohnnyReb

• In Memoriam
« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2011, 10:39:40 AM »
Well, I just replanted some string beans....again...but on the bright side...I got the best crop of nutgrass you've ever seen growing in my corn ...even my black thumb can't kill that stuff...oh well...if there's water there for the grass there's water there for my corn.

Couple of cucumbers are blooming like crazy, some small squash appearing on some plants, gonna have a tomato or two in a week or so. The other tomatoes are growing well and blooming. The butter beans and peas I planted over 3 weeks ago are doing just fine. Going to plant some more beans and peas this afternoon.

I hope we get a shower of rain about friday. I certainly don't want another flood like a 10 days ago that washed/drowned everything out.
“The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of ‘liberalism’, they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened.” - Norman Thomas, U.S. Socialist Party presidential candidate 1940, 1944 and 1948

"America is like a healthy body and its resistance is threefold: its patriotism, its morality, and its spiritual life. If we can undermine these three areas, America will collapse from within."  Stalin

Offline Odin's Hand

• is your new god!
  • Quarters Champion
« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2011, 06:58:30 PM »
The Sevin dust and plant food worked like a charm. Most of the crop is churning out food now, tomatoes and peppers are coming in daily and have about 6 watermelon vines with 1 melon on each. Having to water extra though with these high temps. About half over more than usual.
"Hell is full of good wishes and desires"~St. Bernhard of Clairvaux

"Brave men are found where brave men are honored."~Aristotle

"Generally speaking, the "Way of the Warrior" is resolute acceptance of death."~ Miyamoto Musashi

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2011, 09:48:07 PM »
Just pulled up my potatoes, and wowee!  They taste fabulous!  I am done with summer, can we go back to spring?

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #22 on: June 07, 2011, 09:51:07 AM »
Last night, after cantor practice, I went to Toys'R'Us and got a BFS.  The damn thing is about 4' long, when uncoiled.  It stays in a coil, though.  I put out an email to the rest of the gardeners about it, so if they see it in my plot, they should not try to cut it to pieces with a hoe.

And my zucchini sprouts are coming up just fine.  Along with some cucumber sprouts.

Chase her.

Offline BlueStateSaint

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2011, 05:26:09 AM »
An update:  The potatoes are coming up nicely.  I ran the table on those--but it's probably pretty hard to screw those up.  I'm out two hills of cukes and two hills of green zucchinis, plus two yellow zucchinis.  A jalopeno plant that one of the other gardeners had given me.  I let my wife talk me into planting watermelons, and I found out they need an insane amount of water to grow.  In the second plot, I've got a swath 8 feet wide by 20 feet long, with absolutely nothing of value in it.  I've got a whole bunch of tomato plants (the ones I started from seeds) in that plot.  They all seem to have made the transition nicely.  I also bought some basil plants and put them in there.  Tomato hookworms don't like the aromas of the basil. 

Chase her.

Offline IassaFTots

« Reply #24 on: June 19, 2011, 12:24:57 PM »
Potatoes harvested.  Good!  Can't water fast enough to keep up in 100+degree heat.  So far so good though.  Have zucchini, cucumbers and tomatoes popping up everywhere.