Author Topic: US launches first attack against Qaddafi  (Read 6917 times)

Offline formerlurker

Re: US launches first attack against Qaddafi
« Reply #50 on: March 20, 2011, 07:35:52 AM »
Hmmmm...let's see--were you on AD back in 1986?  No?  Oh wait--I WAS.  I also remember very clearly the events leading up to the attack on Tripoli back then.  To remove him for a nightclub attack would have been just a bit unjustified.

And no, GHWB didn't have the mandate to take out Hussein in GW1 either, despite everyone and his sister knowing full well that we'd have to go back there eventually--and some did. 

It's called "playing by the rules", JACKASS.  Just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

Clinton should have taken Bin Laden out.

Offline LC EFA

• Hickus Australianus
  • In Memoriam
« Reply #51 on: March 20, 2011, 07:56:12 AM »

Clinton didn't have the balls , the authority or the "moral clarity".

Offline namvet

« Reply #52 on: March 20, 2011, 08:37:10 AM »
birds in the air

Four American B2 bombers dropped 16 bombs each, striking Libyan air bases and aircraft, mobile air defense units and some ground forces loyal to Libyan leader Moammar Gadhafi, a senior U.S. military official told ABC News.

"The assessment is still ongoing, but all indications are that B2s were effective against the targets they struck," the official said.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/libya-us-bombers-pound-libyan-targets-gadhafi-defiant/story?id=13178174

I wonder if the Code Pink crowd and the other peacenickes will take to the street, and protext outside the WH?

Will the NY Times and Washington Post write op-eds about a war over oil?

Will we the the Cindy Sheehan's of the world get endless coverage about the warmongering President?

Probably not
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 08:45:51 AM by namvet »

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #53 on: March 20, 2011, 08:51:43 AM »
HEMMMMMMMMMMM

I can not think of a better way to dispose of all those missiles  as they approach their[ use by date].   We must have a few hundred warehouses full of these baby's, enough to lend them to the Brits when they run low.

Time to squash that little bully boy and make him cry Uncle.

Few hundred WAREHOUSES?  Nice try, but once again, Vesta, you talk out your ass.

According to FAS.org, about 2500 Block III and IV missiles existed (and about 1000 used since 1995), with plans for a total production run of about 3400.

ETA: Cause I can't spell this morning.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:01:16 AM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #54 on: March 20, 2011, 08:59:02 AM »

Bit of a difference between Hussein, Qaddafi, and Bin Laden.  Yes, I agree that Clinton should have taken care of Bin Laden when the Sudan offered him on a silver platter in 1996, but I also agree that simply putting a bullet through his brain might SOUND easy, but in fact it's anything but, unintended consequences included.  However, as he is NOT the leader of a sovereign state, the elimination versus international proceedings is a bit simpler, but not a whole lot.

I just have a bit of a hard spot with the, "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" types--they're not exactly thinking things through, if you catch my drift.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2011, 09:02:09 AM by NHSparky »
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline namvet

« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2011, 09:05:37 AM »
Bit of a difference between Hussein, Qaddafi, and Bin Laden.  Yes, I agree that Clinton should have taken care of Bin Laden when the Sudan offered him on a silver platter in 1996, but I also agree that simply putting a bullet through his brain might SOUND easy, but in fact it's anything but, unintended consequences included.  However, as he is NOT the leader of a sovereign state, the elimination versus international proceedings is a bit simpler, but not a whole lot.

I just have a bit of a hard spot with the, "Kill 'em all, let God sort 'em out" types--they're not exactly thinking things through, if you catch my drift.

Clinton was advised to leave bin laden alone. to much risk of an attack on the US

"THERE ARE NO GREAT MEN. THERE ARE ONLY GREAT CHALLENGES THAT ORDINARY MEN ARE FORCED BY CIRCUMSTANCES TO MEET" - ADM WILLIAM F HALSEY

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2011, 09:20:59 AM »
Clinton was advised to leave bin laden alone. to much risk of an attack on the US

By whom?  Sandy Burglar?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2011, 09:33:35 AM »
Just heard blurb on news about how now the Arab League is criticizing efforts, saying they've, "Gone too far."

WTF?  Weren't these the same people who were all hot and bothered about getting this going in the first place?

Damned if we do, damned if we don't.

Offline namvet

« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2011, 10:05:45 AM »
Just heard blurb on news about how now the Arab League is criticizing efforts, saying they've, "Gone too far."

WTF?  Weren't these the same people who were all hot and bothered about getting this going in the first place?

Let's see, we are going into Libya to save civilians from a murdering dictator under the guise of the un. We have launched attacks against the anti aircraft batteries and command and control structures. There will naturally be collateral damage and casualties. When will the screams about murdering innocents start?

Offline NHSparky

« Reply #59 on: March 20, 2011, 10:35:05 AM »
Let's see, we are going into Libya to save civilians from a murdering dictator under the guise of the un. We have launched attacks against the anti aircraft batteries and command and control structures. There will naturally be collateral damage and casualties. When will the screams about murdering innocents start?

Been watching FNC this morning.  They already have in some circles.  Were it not for Lord Zero in charge (ha!) we'd be hearing about it already on the Op-Ed page of the NY Times.

Offline namvet

« Reply #60 on: March 20, 2011, 10:50:03 AM »
By whom?  Sandy Burglar?

that's him. the one that got off scott free for stealing class docs

Offline namvet

« Reply #61 on: March 20, 2011, 10:55:12 AM »
Been watching FNC this morning.  They already have in some circles.  Were it not for Lord Zero in charge (ha!) we'd be hearing about it already on the Op-Ed page of the NY Times.

terrorists should be cranking up Pallywood and Fauxtography any time now to hand over to Reuters for world distribution

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #62 on: March 20, 2011, 05:49:59 PM »
Quotable notables from the Obama crowd :

"We cannot stand idly by when a tyrant tells his people there will be no mercy," President Obama said in a statement from Brazil.

"We have every reason to fear that left unchecked, Qaddafi will commit unspeakable atrocities," Clinton said.

Source

This apparently matters a whole lot more to us when the people involved are Muslims who either own some oil or have some buddies who own some oil, but not nearly so much when the people involved are of Asian, African or South American descent, or Christians.

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline namvet

« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2011, 06:18:28 PM »

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #64 on: March 20, 2011, 09:58:36 PM »
MI6 puts gun to generals' heads: Our spies phone Gaddafi's men direct to warn: Defect or die

British intelligence is warning Colonel Gaddafi’s generals that it could be fatal to remain loyal to the Libyan leader.

MI6 spies and military officials are contacting commanders in Tripoli trying to persuade them to defect, the Daily Mail can reveal.
Their message is blunt: ‘General, we’ve got the GPS co-ordinates of your command post. They are programmed into a Storm Shadow missile. What do you want to do?’

As Gaddafi vowed to wage a long war with the ‘crusader alliance’, British officials said the intelligence services had the telephone numbers of many key military officials in his regime.

A senior source said: ‘They will be doing their best to get in touch. This is a situation where success breeds success. Once you get air superiority it becomes suicidal for Libyan army commanders to want to move tanks or to use artillery.
Daily Mail

Lesson #1: Don't use your cell phone.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline namvet

« Reply #65 on: March 20, 2011, 10:19:28 PM »
one of my ISP's main page posted this:

Robert Gates: Libya Mission Handoff In Days, U.S. Will Not Have 'Preeminent Role' - from Huff post

ON BOARD A MILITARY AIRCRAFT (AP) -- U.S. Defense Secretary Robert Gates said Sunday that the U.S. expects to turn control of the Libya military mission over to a coalition -- probably headed either by the French and British or by NATO -- "in a matter of days."

In his first public remarks since the start of the bombings, Gates said President Barack Obama felt very strongly about limiting America's role in the operation, adding that the president is "more aware than almost anybody of the stress on the military."

"We agreed to use our unique capabilities and the breadth of those capabilities at the front of this process, and then we expected in a matter of days to be able to turn over the primary responsibility to others," Gates told reporters traveling with him to Russia. "We will continue to support the coalition, we will be a member of the coalition, we will have a military role in the coalition, but we will not have the preeminent role."

<SNIP>

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/03/20/robert-gates-libya-mission_n_838183.html

maybe someone is coming to their senses

« Last Edit: March 21, 2011, 08:07:01 AM by Chris »

Offline Bertram

« Reply #66 on: March 20, 2011, 11:09:38 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PN59KMwM6p8
"I've met the man twice and I've recommended a pre-emptive Exocet missile strike against his air force..."

---

Why the hell are they wasting time with a no-fly zone.  The goal of that is to allow the the rebel forces to capture/kill/depose Gadaffi.  Why not just locate his ass and take him out.

The rebels want to kick his ass personally, the UNSC actions are just giving them a hand.

And there's no way of telling whether the rebels will for a democracy. Only time will tell.

---

Where are all the liberals shouting about "no declaration of war" like they did with Bush?

We've only declared war for five wars. The last time was World War II. The rest are military engagments authorized by congress or by the UNSC then funded by congress.

"On at least 125 such occasions, the President acted without prior express authorization from Congress"

---

I know you guys tend to not like Al Jazeera, I think they cover the Middle East stuff a little better than stations do in the US. Particularly because they tend to have better footage.
http://english.aljazeera.net/news/africa/2011/03/2011320202616794816.html

Offline Rebel

• Stick a fork in us. We're done.
  • Administrator
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2011, 07:50:53 AM »

...and history is about to be rewritten. Hey, cowards always do this. The Dims did this not long after we went into Iraq. You know, those same Dims that SUPPORTED the invasion in the first place. They're not the linebackers you want if you're playing against the Ravens. They'd bolt to the sidelines as soon as the ball is hiked and you're staring at Ray Lewis.
NAMBLA is a left-wing organization.

There's a reason why patriotism is considered a conservative value. Watch a Tea Party rally and you'll see people proudly raising the American flag and showing pride in U.S. heroes such as Thomas Jefferson. Watch an OWS rally and you'll see people burning the American flag while showing pride in communist heroes such as Che Guevera. --Bob, from some news site

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2011, 08:59:22 AM »
^ Don't forget Suggs.  :-)

Oh, and I'm also confused. The British or French (mind's foggy at the moment" already blasted a few holes in Quadaffi's compound. Why not just finish it off? The man is a shining example of everything that is wrong with the country of Libya, and the Mid East, for that matter. One more dead nutball should be no skin off the nose of planet Earth.

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2011, 09:22:11 AM »
LIBYA: WEBSITE, GADDAFI'S SON KILLED BY A SUICIDE-BOMBER

(AGI) Tripoli - Khamis, Gaddafi's sixth son, was reportedly killed by the injuries suffered in a suicide bombing on Saturday. A Libyan pilot deliberately crashed his jet against the Bab al-Azizia barracks.

http://www.agi.it/english-version/world/elenco-notizie/201103211039-cro-ren1026-libya_website_gaddafi_s_son_killed_by_a_suicide_bomber
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2011, 10:24:20 AM »
I'd like to know exactly WHY we are involved in Libya.  Their problems posed no threat to the United States in any possible way.  Let that side of the world handle up on their own problems.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2011, 10:29:41 AM »
I'd like to know exactly WHY we are involved in Libya.  Their problems posed no threat to the United States in any possible way.  Let that side of the world handle up on their own problems.

The only concern about Libya is their oil. That is possibly the only effect on the US. Surely Obama doesn't believe in War For Oil?

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2011, 10:31:15 AM »
The only concern about Libya is their oil. That is possibly the only effect on the US. Surely Obama doesn't believe in War For Oil?

That's the only conclusion I can reach.  I expect the anti-war-for-oil crowd to start marching any minute now.  Yep, annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnny minute.... :whatever:

Offline Revolution

• It's a Hoagie not a
  • 8/20/50 - 3/8/12 Love you, Pop
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2011, 10:39:55 AM »
Crickets at the DUmp thus far...

:usflag: :salutearmy: :saluteaf: :saluteusmc: :salutenavy: :taps:
THANK YOU for what you do!

soon as you find your manhood all else falls into place.

Quote from: Greg Gutfeld
If Ft. Hood was "workplace violence," then the Hindenburg was an air show.

Guns do not kill people. Rotting, festering, disgusting, grimy, evil, un-reparable souls kill people.

I don't know if sand glows in the dark, but we're gonna find out.

3x PROUD Facebook Felon!!

Offline TexasCop

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2011, 10:42:14 AM »
Crickets at the DUmp thus far...

No.  That would be impossible.  To them Bush was a war criminal for similar actions.  They MUST be against this!