Author Topic: Brittney, Brittny, Brittneigh  (Read 3239 times)

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
Brittney, Brittny, Brittneigh
« on: May 08, 2010, 02:21:44 PM »
I saw a birth announcement the other day and groaned. In recent years, I’d learned to accept the flood of trendy tots named Madison, but this was my first Madicyn. If you care about spelling, my advice is to pour yourself a stiff drink before untying that pink or blue ribbon and reading news of the blessed event.

In a similar vein, leafing through the newspaper these days is like crawling through a minefield of makeshift names. An article will catch my eye — say, something about a tornado that just missed ripping through a preschool beauty pageant — and I dread what’s coming next. They’re going to interview the pint-size witnesses, and I’m about to meet little Brittney, Brittny, Brittneigh, Brit’nee, Brittani and Bryttney. If you absolutely have to name your child after a rugged French peninsula, then get out a dictionary and look it up. It’s Brittany.

I have a major gripe with the trend of misspelling baby names. On purpose. The parents’ logic runs something like this: “My child is special and unique. Thus, my child deserves a special, uniquely spelled name.” The upshot is that Chloe becomes Kloey, and Jacqueline metastasizes into something ghastly, like Jaq’leen. ...
link

Offline thundley4

Re: Brittney, Brittny, Brittneigh
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2010, 02:29:11 PM »
I read that earlier. It reminded me of a joke.

A woman had just given birth to twins, a boy and a girl, but due to complications, she was unconscious for several days. When she woke up she was told that her brother had named the children.  She was mortified. "He's an idiot, what did he name them?"  The nurse said that he named the girl Denice.  The mother thought that wasn't bad, and asked about the boy's name. The nurse said it was Denephew.

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2010, 02:31:57 PM »
Yeah, that sounds about right.
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

Offline RightCoast

• Semper Fi means more than most will ever know
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2010, 04:33:20 PM »
It is mean and ignorant to name your child something that they will have to spell to everyone they meet for the rest of their lives.

There is nothing wrong with normal spelling.

Idiots.
nine eleven is a car
nine one one is an emergency service
September 11, 2001 was an attack
Never Forget, or Minimize.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2010, 05:08:58 PM »
I notice that the author carefully avoided mentioning many  African-American names.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2010, 05:09:19 PM »
Shannoniqua and Dondoherty were having a baby....

Boys Name: Shannandoah

Girls Name: Dondiqua

heh

How long before they start putting @ signs in names?

Offline cavegal

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2010, 05:13:21 PM »
I agree it is wrong to name someone with a name they will have to spell to others the rest of there lives!   :popcorn:

“Look, we’re led by a man that either is not tough, not smart, or he’s got something else in mind,”  Donald J.Trump. 6/13/16

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2010, 05:17:44 PM »
Shannoniqua and Dondoherty were having a baby....

Boys Name: Shannandoah

Girls Name: Dondiqua

heh

How long before they start putting @ signs in names?
Hmmm... I'm liking the sound of P@trick.  :sarcasm:

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2010, 06:56:38 PM »
[youtube=425,350]pCdmiZyyGjQ[/youtube]

:rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf: :rotf:

I know, I'm evil but it is funny.  :-)

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2010, 07:00:34 PM »
This article is so true. I hate all the misspellings of names that parents dump on their children to make them 'special'.  It's not special - it's just dumb.  When I was a kid, the Dallas Morning News ran a story on names of New Years babies.  The two that I remember were Porsche Corvette, and a family with the last name Daub who named their son Zippidy Do.  ZIPPIDY DO DAUB?  Now that's just cruel.

Offline bijou

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 09, 2010, 02:40:16 AM »
This article is so true. I hate all the misspellings of names that parents dump on their children to make them 'special'.  It's not special - it's just dumb.  When I was a kid, the Dallas Morning News ran a story on names of New Years babies.  The two that I remember were Porsche Corvette, and a family with the last name Daub who named their son Zippidy Do.  ZIPPIDY DO DAUB?  Now that's just cruel.
OMG poor child.

Offline debk

« Reply #11 on: May 09, 2010, 10:29:07 AM »
I agree it is wrong to name someone with a name they will have to spell to others the rest of there lives!   :popcorn:

I"ve had to spell out Deborah for 57 years.  :banghead:

Seems most would prefer to spell it Debra.

My grandkids are Camden Scott and Madelyn Kate. I'm sure they will have to spell their names too....but everyone will know how to spell Shanique and Ramon.  ::)
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline littlelamb

• Banned
« Reply #12 on: May 09, 2010, 12:51:45 PM »
I went to school with a girl her name was May and her brother was Will but the bad thing was their last name was Blowe
Good girls are bad girls that never get caught.

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it, misdiagnosing it and then misapplying the wrong remedies.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2010, 01:23:47 PM »

That might be grounds for either matricide or patricide, IMO . . .
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.

Offline chitownchica

« Reply #14 on: May 09, 2010, 02:26:20 PM »
I went to school with a girl her name was May and her brother was Will but the bad thing was their last name was Blowe

That would **suck** :rotf:

Ok- couldn't resist.

This story has me thinking of all the crazy names I've heard over the years, including Keith Lover Sweat (don't know if it was Loversweat, Loversweatt, or something else) at my cousin's HS graduation, Missaplum Jones (a guy), and a whole host of crazy names in my HS, including Precious Wafer, KimKim and Richiedale (brothers), Shontay L'America (can't remember the last name), and 2 brothers named James Earl Billingsley Jr and James Earl Billingsley III. 

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #15 on: May 10, 2010, 02:06:36 PM »
Frank Zappa had em' beat by years.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline BlueStateSaint

• Here I come to save the day, because I'm a
  • RIP FDNY Lt. Rich Nappi d. 4/16/12
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2010, 02:20:16 PM »
Frank Zappa had em' beat by years.

Yeah--there was a certain cachet about "Dweezil" and "Moon Unit."
"Timid men prefer the calm of despotism to the tempestuous sea of Liberty." - Thomas Jefferson

"All you have to do is look straight and see the road, and when you see it, don't sit looking at it - walk!" -Ayn Rand

"Those that trust God with their safety must yet use proper means for their safety, otherwise they tempt Him, and do not trust Him.  God will provide, but so must we also." - Matthew Henry, Commentary on 2 Chronicles 32, from Matthew Henry's Commentary on the Whole Bible

"These anti-gun fools are more dangerous to liberty than street criminals or foreign spies."--Theodore Haas, Dachau Survivor

Chase her.
Chase her even when she's yours.
That's the only way you'll be assured to never lose her.