Author Topic: Dummies by wire  (Read 741 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Dummies by wire
« on: February 24, 2010, 05:50:00 PM »
Dummies discussing drive by wire

Link here

RamboLiberal (1000+ posts)    Mon Feb-22-10 04:49 PM
Original message

Expert: Electronic Design Flaw Linked to Runaway Toyotas

Source: ABC News

A flaw in the design of Toyota's electronic acceleration system prevents the car's onboard computer from detecting and stopping certain short circuits that can trigger sudden speed surges, according to a professor of automotive technology, Dave Gilbert of Southern Illinois University's auto technology department.

As a result, Gilbert told ABC News, the Toyota computers will not record an error code, nor will they activate the "fail safe" system designed to shut down the power and put the car in the "limp home" mode.

-----

Kane said the short circuits introduced by Gilbert in his tests and demonstrations reflect what can happen in the real world because of corrosion, moisture, and manufacturing imperfections. "Electronics don't always function the way they're supposed to," he said.

Professor Gilbert said he notified senior Toyota engineers in California of his findings last week.

"They were surprised," he said.

Read more: http://abcnews.go.com/Blotter/toyota-recall-electronic-...

Warpy (1000+ posts)    Mon Feb-22-10 04:57 PM
Response to Original message

3. Then my idea of a thousand years ago stands

Turn the thing off with one hand, hit the 4 way flashers to alert everybody else on the road there is a problem, slam it into neutral, and try to coast off the road if you can. Hitting the horn might also be a good idea on the highway, wake up the hypnotized.

You can try restarting it and see if rebooting the computer will temporarily fix the trouble, at least long enough for you to get to a gas station so you can call for the hook.

RamboLiberal (1000+ posts)    Mon Feb-22-10 05:00 PM
Response to Reply #3

4. Problem is not everyone has time to do these steps

Edited on Mon Feb-22-10 05:20 PM by RamboLiberal
Two instances I read of - an elderly couple who went off a parking garage. A guy parking at a beach cliff. Both instances no time to take those steps.

And I can think if you are in heavy traffic again you may not have the time.

Your solution works if you are on a straight road with little traffic around you.

One minute Toyota driver Bulent Ezal was admiring the dramatic view as he stopped his car on a cliff-top overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

The next, his car was racing out of control, through a fence towards the edge as he pressed helplessly on the brake.

For a few terrifying seconds that will forever haunt him, the retired engineer and his wife, Anne, were taken on a joyride by their 2005 Toyota Camry, unable to halt it as it was accelerated into a high speed death-run.

"The car took off with extreme force, pushing me back into my seat," recalled Mr Ezal, 75. "In no time it had cleared the kerb and was racing across a piece of land no wider than 23 feet. The last thing I remember was my wife screaming and I was looking at the clear blue sky."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/7176161/Toyota...

I sense an urban legend in the making here.

davepdx (94 posts)    Mon Feb-22-10 06:03 PM
Response to Reply #3

20. The "smart" electronics could cause problems for the driver

My wife's 2010 Prius hybrid has a "smart key" system where there is no physical key to insert into the ignition like I've had in any previous vehicle that I've owned. To start the car you have to have your key fob with you (usually in my pocket) and then I press the "Power" switch (button on the dash) that starts the car when pressed (essentially boots up the car). Turning off the vehicle in an emergency is not as simple as you may think. From the Toyota Prius manual:

"Stopping the hybrid system in an emergency
If you want to stop the hybrid system in an emergency while driving the vehicle, push and hold the “POWER” switch for more than 3 seconds."

Three freaking seconds!

Most drivers probably aren't going to know this (607 page manual - who reads them?) or possibly remember this (push the "Power" switch in for 3 seconds) in an emergency. Probably the first thing to do would be to move the shift lever from "D" (drive) to the "N" (neutral) position and hold it there for at least one full second while braking and steering to a stop. It was posted in the PriusChat forums that doing this kills the accelerator signal. Pushing the "Power" switch for 3 seconds would have to be a last resort operation, IMO.

Thanks for your post as it will prompt me to take out my wife's car tonight when she gets home and test it for how it responds when put into "neutral". I had the software update done last week for the braking issue. Hopefully that was a real fix and not a placebo maneuver on Toyota's part.

Plenty of good entertainment at the link….. Read the manual?  Come on, the most intelligent people to ever strut the face of this earth?? Read the manual?? Shirley, you jest! :popcorn:

Poor dummies what do they do with that Prius now???  Where is Ralph {unsafe at any speed} Nader when you need him??
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline jukin

Re: Dummies by wire
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2010, 06:39:08 PM »
Funny how we did not have these problems with mechanical systems. But hey I'm an ME.
When you are the beneficiary of someone’s kindness and generosity, it produces a sense of gratitude and community.

When you are the beneficiary of a policy that steals from someone and gives it to you in return for your vote, it produces a sense of entitlement and dependency.

Offline GOBUCKS

• All in all, not bad, not bad at all
Re: Dummies by wire
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 08:38:40 PM »
Funny how we did not have these problems with mechanical systems. But hey I'm an ME.
I'm not convinced we have them with any systems. We are hearing reports from trial lawyers about clients crashing their cars. They can sue the tree they hit, or the biggest car company in the world. They have the media eating up every word they say. Truth is created by repetition. Are you surprised they aren't suing the tree?