Author Topic: Anyone watching Obama speak to the republicans?  (Read 1632 times)

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
Anyone watching Obama speak to the republicans?
« on: January 29, 2010, 11:34:57 AM »
He is a total ass.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: Anyone watching Obama speak to the republicans?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2010, 11:38:26 AM »
He is a total ass.
We needed a thread for this?

:cheersmate:
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2010, 11:40:18 AM »
He just said he is not an ideologue.  He is really sounding awful. He still will not take responsibility for anything.  

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2010, 11:43:12 AM »

if you can you should be watching. Republicans are asking him questions directly.

Offline Doppelganger

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2010, 11:46:47 AM »
PRESIDENT SPEAKS AT GOP RETREAT
Today

Pres. Obama today speaks to House Republi-
cans at their two-day retreat in Baltimore, MD. He is repeating his State of the Union address plea for bipartisanship on health care and other economic issues. GOP leaders will comment later, following a question-and-answer session with the president.

Here you go, folks.

http://www.c-span.org/

Live feed there - just follow the 'Pres. Obama Now on C-SPAN' link next to the little film icon, it'll take you to a streamed video.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2010, 11:53:45 AM »
He just said he is not an ideologue.  He is really sounding awful. He still will not take responsibility for anything.  
And the common man recognizes this.

He's just digging his own political grave.

Let's help keep his shivel well-honed.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2010, 11:54:49 AM »
Here you go, folks.

http://www.c-span.org/

Live feed there - just follow the 'Pres. Obama Now on C-SPAN' link next to the little film icon, it'll take you to a streamed video.

Thanks for posting the link.

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 12:05:50 PM »
Here is a link to FR discussing it:  http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/2440164/posts
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:08:15 PM by BEG »

Offline Doppelganger

• Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2010, 12:11:50 PM »
@ BEG: No prob.

Funny, I just listened to him talk about the two parties 'demonizing each other' and obstructing progress. Sounds not unlike something I'd normally say/agree on, only I don't trust it coming from him because it just sounds like a veiled version of saying 'you need to agree with us'.  :mental:

It also strikes me as odd how he keeps referring to the 'independent insurance expert' as the ultimate source on what will work and what will not - apparently the insurance experts are telling our government what kind of legislation would work, now...?
« Last Edit: January 29, 2010, 12:14:26 PM by Doppelganger »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2010, 12:25:01 PM »
He interrupts everyone.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2010, 12:27:33 PM »

Funny, I just listened to him talk about the two parties 'demonizing each other' and obstructing progress. Sounds not unlike something I'd normally say/agree on, only I don't trust it coming from him because it just sounds like a veiled version of saying 'you need to agree with us'.  :mental:

It also strikes me as odd how he keeps referring to the 'independent insurance expert' as the ultimate source on what will work and what will not - apparently the insurance experts are telling our government what kind of legislation would work, now...?

wasn't it an "independent insurance expert" who was paid 500k by the gov't for "analyzing" Obamacare?

Offline Oceander

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2010, 12:43:38 PM »

Funny, I just listened to him talk about the two parties 'demonizing each other' and obstructing progress. Sounds not unlike something I'd normally say/agree on, only I don't trust it coming from him because it just sounds like a veiled version of saying 'you need to agree with us'.  :mental:

That is precisely how one must listen to Embattled President Obama - I call it "listening like a lawyer" because what you have to do is override your normal human inclination to give a speaker the benefit of the doubt, and to resolve those doubts in favor of a rational, coherent conversation, which invariably means that you "overlook" certain literal meanings of the words the speaker uses in favor of "s/he must have meant ..."  That's the only reasonable thing to do when you're having a chat with another normal human being, it is utterly irrational to do when you're listening to a lawyer with whom you do not have a client-attorney relationship.  Instead, in the latter situation, you must be a strict literalist - if I may hazard a metaphor, you must be a strict constructionist - in order to protect yourself from being bamboozled.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2010, 12:53:23 PM »
Bi-Partisan apparently means GOP gives in.

lol.

Now they are talking about holding the GOP "accountable" for their votes.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2010, 12:58:21 PM »
Bi-Partisan apparently means GOP gives in.

lol.

Now they are talking about holding the GOP "accountable" for their votes.

Then they can hop in and join with the good people of Massachusetts, who have already held both Republicans and Democrats accountable for their votes, and found the latter wanting.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2010, 12:58:37 PM »
They are looking for ways to punish the GOP for not voting correctly

http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-bloggers/2440151/posts

From POLITICO Playbook -- The White House plans to step up efforts to hold Republicans accountable for cooperation. Said communications director Dan Pfeiffer: "There are 59 Democratic Senators now. They're at 41, the Republicans now have a responsibility to govern. In Year 1, they sat on the sidelines and were willing to leave governing in this challenging time to Democrats alone. They have a responsibility now to partner with the President, to try to get things done for the American people. With 59 Senators, it is mathematically impossible for Democrats to do everything on their own. So Republicans can either try to block all progress on all issues at this critical time -- or they can step up to the plate and work to actually do things for the American people. The question is not [the president's] sincerity; it's the willingness of the Republican Party to work with him to get things done. ? He'll do a lot of what he's done before, which is meet with the Republicans, talk to the on the phone. He's done a lot, but you'll certainly see more."

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2010, 01:01:37 PM »

Consider this a Daily Re-Affirmation, with Jack Handey, Stuart Smalley or whoever the hell it was.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline Oceander

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2010, 01:01:59 PM »

From POLITICO Playbook -- The White House plans to step up efforts to hold Republicans accountable for cooperation. Said communications director Dan Pfeiffer: "There are 59 Democratic Senators now. They're at 41, the Republicans now have a responsibility to govern. In Year 1, they sat on the sidelines and were willing to leave governing in this challenging time to Democrats alone. They have a responsibility now to partner with the President, to try to get things done for the American people. With 59 Senators, it is mathematically impossible for Democrats to do everything on their own. So Republicans can either try to block all progress on all issues at this critical time -- or they can step up to the plate and work to actually do things for the American people. The question is not [the president's] sincerity; it's the willingness of the Republican Party to work with him to get things done. ? He'll do a lot of what he's done before, which is meet with the Republicans, talk to the on the phone. He's done a lot, but you'll certainly see more."

That's a cute statement, which assumes, without a shred of evidence to support that assumption, that what the Democrats have been doing for the past year bears any resemblance to the suite of activities commonly known as "governing."

All we have to do, really is make sure that the wobblies don't start losing their Dutch spines and start going all woozie and getting seduced by the light-skinned, fair-talking roue in the Whitehouse.  The American people know what's going on, and they do not expect the GOP to let itself get co-opted - again - by the crypto-soviets in the Democrat party.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2010, 01:08:46 PM »
Quote from:
The White House plans to step up efforts to hold Republicans accountable for cooperation. Said communications director Dan Pfeiffer: "There are 59 Democratic Senators now. They're at 41, the Republicans now have a responsibility to govern. In Year 1, they sat on the sidelines and were willing to leave governing in this challenging time to Democrats alone. They have a responsibility now to partner with the President, to try to get things done for the American people. With 59 Senators, it is mathematically impossible for Democrats to do everything on their own. So Republicans can either try to block all progress on all issues at this critical time -- or they can step up to the plate and work to actually do things for the American people. The question is not [the president's] sincerity; it's the willingness of the Republican Party to work with him to get things done. ? He'll do a lot of what he's done before, which is meet with the Republicans, talk to the on the phone. He's done a lot, but you'll certainly see more."

Oh, that's rich.  They couldn't get anything done when the R's could do nothing to stop them, and now when they get nothing done they'll want to blame them.  Not gonna work.

Hey Pfeiffer, I'm going to fill you in on a little something.  Ball's still in your court.  You've got 59 on your side.  What will it say when your policies are so radical you can't get even one R to cross over?  It'll point out just how incompetent you are and that you're a bunch of kooks.

You still hold huge majorities, so it's still all on you.  ALL on you.  Continuing to try and pass the buck only makes you look weaker than you already do.

Oh, and the question IS Dear Leader's sincerity.  I, and those like me, decide what the question is, not you.  Not ever you.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline delilahmused

• Devil Mom
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2010, 01:13:10 PM »

Considering most Americans don't like his ideas, I think obstruction is not a bad strategy. They can discuss their ideas on the campaign trail. The hard part is going to keep people like McCain and Graham for wetting their pants at the prospect of being "uniters" (because it's worked out so well for the country before).

Cindie
"If God built me a ladder to heaven, I would climb it and elbow drop the world."
Mick Foley

"I am a very good shot. I have hunted for every kind of animal. But I would never kill an animal during mating season."
Hedy Lamarr

"I'm just like any modern woman trying to have it all. Loving husband, a family. It's just, I wish I had more time to seek out the dark forces and join their hellish crusade."
Morticia Addams

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2010, 10:21:24 AM »
Saw a bit of it - the whole thing appeared to me to be fueled by a petulant desire for confrontation (Since he didn't have the juice to make it an ultimatum, as he would obviously have preferred), rather than any attempt to reconcile and move a damned thing forward.  He was received with a great deal more civility than his comments and manner merited.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2010, 10:25:27 AM »
I've only heard bits & pieces about this "event".  Was the TOTUS present?
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender