Author Topic: New last book you read thread  (Read 133649 times)

Offline Karin

Re: New last book you read thread
« Reply #250 on: August 01, 2011, 01:47:19 PM »
Just finished "The Girl who Kicked the Hornet's Nest," the third in the trilogy.  I loved the first two, but found the third just a bit dry.  There was a lot of bureaucratic descriptive material, which I slogged through waiting for something to happen.  Thoroughly enjoyed the ending.  I was so afraid he was going to leave a lot of things dangling, in order to have a fourth book (the author has died).  He didn't . 

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #251 on: August 02, 2011, 05:41:43 AM »
Found this while following links.

http://curtis.library.northwestern.edu/curtis/viewPage.cgi?showp=1&size=2&id=nai.01.book.00000018&volume=1#nav

Plowing very slowly through this and on another forum when survival methods came up what can be better the explorations of a young man to photograph and write about our vanishing American Tribes back in the early 1900.

I have a strange hunch that these story's and research were a kick in the butt to Teddy Roosevelt to get him Gung Ho to save the North West.------In fact he wrote a review about the books and
it would not surprise me if he and the Author became friends.

Simply amazing what the Author found out about the customs of the American Indian tribes.  How they lived and some weird history about the tribe that were taken down by a Messiah among them that had our Government just ignored them would have caused Little harm.

The photos show the homes they constructed from Alaska to the deep south west, their tools and how their religions controll each tribe from sun up to sun down.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #252 on: August 02, 2011, 10:39:48 AM »
Holy crap, he killed Arya Stark. :popcorn:

Damn those Lannisters.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #253 on: August 04, 2011, 06:56:01 PM »
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #254 on: August 05, 2011, 06:04:37 PM »
Holy crap, he killed Arya Stark. :popcorn:

Damn those Lannisters.

YOU SUCK!!!!! Dumbledore dies!  He was dead the whole time!  She was a man!  The butler did it!
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Chris_

« Reply #255 on: August 05, 2011, 06:07:21 PM »
YOU SUCK!!!!! Dumbledore dies!  He was dead the whole time!  She was a man!  The butler did it!
:whistling:

It gets worse.  And no, Arya isn't dead.  At least not at the begging of book 4.

Offline Bodadh

• Not in the mood!
« Reply #256 on: August 11, 2011, 11:54:03 PM »
Reading Legends and Lies, Great Mysteries Of The Old West by Dale Walker. Really good book if you are a history buff. Being from Texas the part about Davy Crockett and the Alamo was interesting. But the little nuggets like what happened to Mariwether Lewis and fact that he wanted to adopt Sacajawea's little boy and educate him and how he grew up were really fascinating. And even tho Jessie James was a cold blooded killer his baptist upbringing made him just pious enough not to cuss. Instead he would just say "dingus". In fact he said it so much that is what his brother Frank called him. Lots of tidbits to make a history nerd happy.
A fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi

Offline Chris_

« Reply #257 on: August 15, 2011, 11:26:56 PM »
Oh gawd, book 4 ("A Feast for Crows") took forever to finish.  Books 1-3... awesome.  Book 4?  Not so much.  From what I've heard, books 4-5 were supposed to be a single volume but Martin broke them up into two separate books and re-wrote it.  I wound up skipping whole chapters about the ironmen and their ridiculously over-analyzed religions and inheritance and blah blah blah. 

Not quite as thrilled with this one.  I think I'm going to hold off on buying book 5 as I mentioned earlier.

Offline Ballygrl

• Lipstick Renegade
« Reply #258 on: August 15, 2011, 11:47:38 PM »
Finished Rob Lowe's book, then had to end up getting Melissa Gilberts book Prairie Tales to spill about all the dirt Rob Lowe refused to spill LOL. Now reading World's Scariest Places and Most Haunted Locations.
"The nation that couldn’t be conquered by foreign enemies has been conquered by its elected officials" odawg Free Republic in reference to the GOP Elites who are no difference than the Democrats

Offline Duke Nukum

• Assistant Chair of the Committee on Neighborhood Services
  • O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
« Reply #259 on: August 18, 2011, 09:43:16 PM »
After a diversion and a vacation, I am back to Larry Niven's Ringworld. Great book so far.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline Alpha Mare

« Reply #260 on: August 18, 2011, 11:20:26 PM »
Oh gawd, book 4 ("A Feast for Crows") took forever to finish.  Books 1-3... awesome.  Book 4?  Not so much.  From what I've heard, books 4-5 were supposed to be a single volume but Martin broke them up into two separate books and re-wrote it.  I wound up skipping whole chapters about the ironmen and their ridiculously over-analyzed religions and inheritance and blah blah blah. 

Not quite as thrilled with this one.  I think I'm going to hold off on buying book 5 as I mentioned earlier.

Not much happens in 5.  Big letdown after waiting so long, too much about too many. Even the Imp was disappointing.
"Political correctness is tyranny with manners."
    - Charlton Heston

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #261 on: August 22, 2011, 09:55:11 PM »
Finished Ringworld over the weekend and started Through the Looking Glass by John Ringo, spectacular so far.
“A man who has been through bitter experiences and travelled far enjoys even his sufferings after a time”
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #262 on: August 23, 2011, 09:59:21 AM »
Just finished Storm of War, a one-volume history of WWII written by a Brit with lots of rave reviews from various Brit publications. 

Mixed feelings about it, one the one hand it is very good at looking at several different possible outcomes at critical points, and well-researched from a literary/historical point of view, for what that's worth.  However, it is dogged with a surprising number of glaring technical errors about major weapons and equipment, the odd paragraph reeling off statistical totals that don't actually add anything informative and valuable to the text, and an annoying Anglocentricism that is unable to call out any English mistakes honestly, choosing instead to excuse their most notable debacles as 'all the fault of the Nazis for starting it.'

Good book on balance, though.  I did not research the author's bona fides, but I did get the impression that like John Keegan, he is purely a historian who lacks the context of having actually served in a military command, so there is a certain blindness in spots to how and why things actually happen the way they do in a military chain of command, especially in wartime.  This is particularly notable in British historians, who seem to place a charmingly child-like faith in the veracity and completeness of official unit diaries, while anyone who has actually ever participated at an operational military headquarters would know that aside from time and place of engagements, these are generally as inaccurate, self-serving, and unreliable as a general's exculpatory memoirs penned 15 years later. 

After reading so much history during my life, I have come to the conclusion that professional historians have several notable weak spots in their thinking and analysis.  One of the most annoying of these is petty squabbles with other professional historians over trivialities, of course within the limited sphere of academia these squabbles may make or break a career, but they poison works written for the non-academic press when they are allowed to intrude.  They also have a particularly irritating tendency to denigrate anyone who has first-hand knowledge that doesn't support their own hypotheses as 'Self-serving' [Rather ironically] while minimizing the same flaw in works upon which they rely.  But, the gravest sin they commit is a love for dismissing anything ugly on their own side recounted by veterans as 'Merely anecdotal,' while claiming anything similarly-sourced that agrees with their point of view to be from 'Primary sources.'

Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #263 on: August 23, 2011, 10:03:28 AM »
I have had the same Stanley Karnow book on Vietnam sitting on my bookshelf for the last ten years and I still cannot finish it.  Every time he starts naming one Vietnamese officer or politician after another, my head starts to swim.  I can't keep any of the names straight.

Offline mamacags

• Smells like teen spirit
  • Little Miss Cranky Pants
« Reply #264 on: September 30, 2011, 12:27:37 PM »
I just finished book #3 of the Tunnels series by Roderick Gordon and Brian Williams.  http://www.amazon.com/Tunnels-Book-1-Roderick-Gordon/dp/0545078814/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1317403544&sr=1-1   It is the story of a boy and his dad who are amateur archaeologist and they find a vast subterranean civilization.  They are such great books!!  I just ordered book 4 from Amazon since my library didn't have it.  They are also making a movie of Tunnels but it won't be out for a while.
All the great things are simple, and many can be expressed in a single word: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope.
Winston Churchill

Offline Wineslob

• Sucking the life out of Liberty
« Reply #265 on: September 30, 2011, 04:27:18 PM »
Started "A Cooks Tour". Got it for 2 bucks at a thrift shop, so why not?

So far, pretty damn good. Tony gives some honest behind the scenes opinions about the restaurants. Some of which were NOT good eventhough he had to do the "oh it's so good I'm rolling my eyes!" bullshit for the cameras.
“The national budget must be balanced. The public debt must be reduced; the arrogance of the authorities must be moderated and controlled. Payments to foreign governments must be reduced, if the nation doesn't want to go bankrupt. People must again learn to work, instead of living on public assistance.”

-- Marcus Tullius Cicero, 55 BC (106-43 BC)

The unobtainable is unknown at Zombo.com

"Practice random violence and senseless acts of brutality"

If you want a gender neutral bathroom, go pee in the forest.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #266 on: October 01, 2011, 03:59:47 PM »
FInished Book four of the Looking Glass trilogy[sic] and started The Last Centuian. I'm loaded up on John Ringo for a while and am looking to 1974 by David Peace after watching The Red Riding trilogy on Netflix.
― Homer, The Odyssey

Offline TVDOC

• General Malcontent and
  • Sic Transit Gloria Mundi
« Reply #267 on: October 03, 2011, 03:45:54 PM »
For the Lee Childs fans, I just finished the latest in his "Jack Reacher" series entitled The Affair.  For those who enjoy fiction thrillers with a military theme, this one is great. 

Those who have followed the Reacher books will finally find out what happened to separate him from the Army.  A murder mystery set two decades ago at a rural Army installation in Mississippi,,,,,,,really a stemwinder.

doc
"Study the past if you wish to define the future"

Confucius

Offline DefiantSix

• Set Condition One throughout the ship
  • Captain, IKV Defiant
« Reply #268 on: October 04, 2011, 07:11:28 PM »
Book #5 of David Weber's "Safehold" Series, How Firm A Foundation just came in.   :rocker:  Now all I have to do is find the time to finish re-reading book #4; A Mighty Fortress.
"Stand your ground. Don't fire unless fired upon, but if they mean to have a war, let it begin here."
-- Capt. John Parker

"I'm not looking for forgiveness, and I'm way past asking permission"
-- Capt. Steve Rogers

"In this present crisis, government in not the solution to our problem, government IS the problem."
-- Ronaldus Magnus

Offline FreeBorn

• Semper Fidelis
« Reply #269 on: October 05, 2011, 05:24:38 PM »
Just read "Mighty Fitz", the story of the gargantuan great lakes ore carrier Edmund Fitzgerald by Michael Schumacher.
I was pleasantly surprised, a great read really. Very interesting story or rather a series of intertwined stories, those of all the colorful people involved with this legendary ship. I was afraid it may turn out to be a dry treatise on an old bland cargo ship but it proved to be a page turner.

http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/4734.Mighty_Fitz

"How do you tell a communist? Well, it's someone who reads Marx and Lenin; And how do you tell an anti-communist? It's someone who understands Marx and Lenin." ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #270 on: October 05, 2011, 06:02:01 PM »
Against my better judgment, I picked up Bill O'Reilly's Killing Lincoln. It was surprisingly well done! Not exactly a detailed history, but not bad, either. A pretty decent page-turner.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline Rainbow Rising

• This is how I felt then. It is how I feel today.
« Reply #271 on: October 08, 2011, 01:49:31 AM »
I just finished The Burn Farm by Michael Benson.  It's a true crime story about Sheila LaBarre, a disturbed woman who murdered at least two of her lovers after subjecting them to physical and mental torture and making them play her sick sexual games.  She then burned their bodies on her farm.  (Remains of a third person were found but not identified as of the book's publication.)  Somehow Benson manages to make this intriguing story incredibly dull.  About half of the book is devoted to LaBarre's trial and the efforts of her defense attorneys to prove that she was insane at the time of the murders.  Benson doesn't leave out a single detail, and after a while the parade of witnesses becomes a blur. He even covers the jury selection, describing the voir dire of countless prospective jurors, but to what end?  Okay, we get it: picking jurors in a sensational case is difficult.  No need to drive the point into the ground.  It seemed as if he was padding the book.

The story of Sheila LaBarre is bizarre and compelling.  The portrait that emerges is one of a dangerously disturbed and violent woman who made everyone's life miserable for years.  The early part of the book, which details her background, her crimes, and the police investigation is well-written and very interesting.  Unfortunately the book gets bogged down in the minutiae of the trial and becomes quite tedious.  His more recent book Killer Twins is much better.
"Civility" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

"Hate speech" = Liberal code for "Shut up, conservatives!"

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2011, 05:08:26 PM »
Origins of the Crash by Lowenstein, Game Change, and I just stated Throw Them All Out.

Origins was an interesting read on insider trading and corruption.  Game Change was mostly insider stuff about Obama and Hillary with a pretty good bash of McLame and Palin (McLame and Palin fans beware it is not pretty).  TTAO (about twenty pages in) is starting to make my blood boil and makes me long for TERM LIMITS, damn it.  :bird:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #273 on: November 25, 2011, 08:47:46 AM »
I just finished The Burn Farm by Michael Benson.  It's a true crime story about Sheila LaBarre, a disturbed woman who murdered at least two of her lovers after subjecting them to physical and mental torture and making them play her sick sexual games.  She then burned their bodies on her farm.  (Remains of a third person were found but not identified as of the book's publication.)  Somehow Benson manages to make this intriguing story incredibly dull.  About half of the book is devoted to LaBarre's trial and the efforts of her defense attorneys to prove that she was insane at the time of the murders.  Benson doesn't leave out a single detail, and after a while the parade of witnesses becomes a blur. He even covers the jury selection, describing the voir dire of countless prospective jurors, but to what end?  Okay, we get it: picking jurors in a sensational case is difficult.  No need to drive the point into the ground.  It seemed as if he was padding the book.

The story of Sheila LaBarre is bizarre and compelling.  The portrait that emerges is one of a dangerously disturbed and violent woman who made everyone's life miserable for years.  The early part of the book, which details her background, her crimes, and the police investigation is well-written and very interesting.  Unfortunately the book gets bogged down in the minutiae of the trial and becomes quite tedious.  His more recent book Killer Twins is much better.

Up date, Shelia in jail was SELLING decks of cards with her autograph to the woman in jail to give out for Christmass gifts.  This was a few years ago when she was famous in my neck of the woods. Today most of us remember the events but as ever worse things happens, we want to forget her, she was small pickings compaired to the eye brow raisings things that people with high profile have done, been tried for and convicted.

We have our local school teacher Pam Smart, and  the owner of a chain of drug stores that took an ax to someone he thought was stealing from him in his barn.

We had a mayor from a local town who had her son arrested for Kidnapping, terrorising and fortunately the victem survived.   My son is a good boy she sobbed on the wittness stand. Not reported in the local news but all details came from a news paper way up state.

It is interesting to read about the big time trials in small towns but it is the after math that is perhaps more interesting that comes a couple years later.  Shelias farm was auctioned off, no one from the Doctors family
 she claimed to be married to ever investigated and or claimed their fathers money or property.

LIFE IS STRANGE.

Offline Duke Nukum

« Reply #274 on: November 25, 2011, 03:28:46 PM »
Reading The Terhan Initiative now.
― Homer, The Odyssey