Author Topic: Why I am not a Libertarian.  (Read 20209 times)

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
Re: Why I am not a Libertarian.
« Reply #25 on: January 05, 2010, 01:06:18 PM »
Cause there are so many countries we can prop up as example where those "who are left to their own support" just thrived and lived the dream baby.  

If you go back to that FR thread I posted I made mention that they seem to think that the moral reasoning to live in an ordered society that the law in place imparts will be there somehow even if the laws are removed.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #26 on: January 05, 2010, 01:07:03 PM »
Come on Bully, sheep?  really?

This is where reality is just completely lost in the equation.   Utopian dreams.  

You'd think, right?  But 99% of people don't want anarchy, chaos, lawlessness, or riots on the streets.  People would organize support for the common defense PDQ.  It would operate very similar to charitable organizations, which came to be because of needs that the government cannot/will not not provide for.

Really, it is all about fear.  
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #27 on: January 05, 2010, 01:11:40 PM »
You'd think, right?  But 99% of people don't want anarchy, chaos, lawlessness, or riots on the streets.  People would organize support for the common defense PDQ.  It would operate very similar to charitable organizations, which came to be because of needs that the government cannot/will not not provide for.

Really, it is all about fear.  

Uh, charitable organizations.... you mean like ACORN?   Come on!   Corruption mean anything to you?   will you even concede that this would be prime for corruption?   would the people take care of that also?   (psst, again corruption).    I think the mafia would support your proposal most enthusiastically.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #28 on: January 05, 2010, 01:12:27 PM »
If you go back to that FR thread I posted I made mention that they seem to think that the moral reasoning to live in an ordered society that the law in place imparts will be there somehow even if the laws are removed.

I honestly can't even begin to wrap my brain around that reasoning.

Offline Chris_

« Reply #29 on: January 05, 2010, 01:15:32 PM »
Abortion,as you mentioned legalized prostitution and drugs.
Take a wander over to the DUmp and you will see that they are pretty high on the lefts priority list too.
Isolationism with an a special focus on the "evil" of Israel being another.

TRUE libertarians* would let the states decide their own laws regarding abortion, prostitution, drug use.  No one is saying Israel is evil.  You're making me laugh.

*thanks for the idea, but I believe in freedom of expression and wouldn't ever dream of copywriting a "cool phrase."

Quote from: formerlurker
Uh, charitable organizations.... you mean like ACORN?   Come on!   Corruption mean anything to you?   will you even concede that this would be prime for corruption?   would the people take care of that also?   (psst, again corruption).    I think the mafia would support your proposal most enthusiastically.

Note that I never said government should be abandoned altogether, and I specifically stated it would be a bad idea for police forces to be privatized.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #30 on: January 05, 2010, 01:29:52 PM »
Sir you may as well be a Libertarian.  BTW I agree people should be discouraged from taking drugs, upholding their own morals and supporting common defense.  I just believe that the government shouldn't be the ones mandating the above (at figurative and literal gunpoints no less).

And I do, which doesn't place me in the Libertarian camp at all.  I want the police keeping drunks and stoners off the road.  I want the gov't saying only a man and a woman can be married.  Like I said, they go too far for me.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #31 on: January 05, 2010, 01:32:48 PM »
TRUE libertarians* would let the states decide their own laws regarding abortion, prostitution, drug use.  No one is saying Israel is evil.  You're making me laugh.

Lewrockwell.com, the internet mecca for TRUE Libertarians.   They kind of hate Israel and blame them for all  the ills of the world, as does Dr. Ron of course.  

TRUE Libertarians would "let" (how good of them) the states decide?  the states kind of do now.   The Federal Government has laws in place for drug trafficking.   Should we just "let" the people transport whatever the hell they want into whatever state they want and let the states sort it all out?  

Note that I never said government should be abandoned altogether, and I specifically stated it would be a bad idea for police forces to be privatized.

You never said it.  TRUE Libertarians however?

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #32 on: January 05, 2010, 01:35:53 PM »
The Libertarian platform is for the most part unreasonable, specifically in relation to foreign policy.  The idea that we can isolate ourselves and still provide for a national defense is based on an antiquated idea of warfare, and really, reality itself.

:lmao:  Plenty of countries out there for you to go enjoy then.

The rest of your objections, with the exception of foreign policy, amount to you accepting "necessary evils" because it's OK with you.  Big deal.  What if it's not OK with me?

I'm already serving and have been since 1983.

You have your opinion. Now, Shut the **** up and get back to work.
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #33 on: January 05, 2010, 01:37:32 PM »
What?  explain yourself, please?

Well the Left and Liberaltarians share the belief that we don't need to be in Afghanistan OR Iraq.  Both are pro abortion...drugs...prostitution anythat makes you feel good.

Both blame their own country for 9/11.

Neither party has a solid and sane financial policy.  

A return to the Gold Standard?  Really?

Shall I continue?
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #34 on: January 05, 2010, 01:41:31 PM »

And according to some of the more hard core Paulistas out there you've been illegally serving since 1983.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

Offline Chris_

« Reply #35 on: January 05, 2010, 02:19:06 PM »
Well the Left and Liberaltarians share the belief that we don't need to be in Afghanistan OR Iraq.  Both are pro abortion...drugs...prostitution anythat makes you feel good.

Both blame their own country for 9/11.

Neither party has a solid and sane financial policy.  

A return to the Gold Standard?  Really?

Shall I continue?

Your paranoid generalizations have me stumped, chum. 

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #36 on: January 05, 2010, 02:21:55 PM »

Paranoid Generalizations?

You're only stumped Buylly because you know they aren't paranoid and they aren't generalizations.

And you should remember enough about me from over at SCC to know that when I make statements like that...I can back them up.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #37 on: January 05, 2010, 02:32:33 PM »

Lewrockwell.com. 

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: January 05, 2010, 02:39:33 PM »
Michael J. Badnarik,former canditate for President is also a signer of the 9/11 truth statement.

http://www.911truth.org/article.php?story=20041026093059633
« Last Edit: January 05, 2010, 02:41:34 PM by Carl »

Offline BEG

• "Mile Marker"
« Reply #39 on: January 05, 2010, 03:17:33 PM »
And I do, which doesn't place me in the Libertarian camp at all.  I want the police keeping drunks and stoners off the road.  I want the gov't saying only a man and a woman can be married.  Like I said, they go too far for me.

I have a strong Libertarian leanings except for items like what you said above, I don't know exactly what I would categorize myself as.   One item I can't get worked up about though is gay marriage.  I have tried to understand the conservative/religious view on gay marriage and I just can't get that worked up about it.  The government can't force a church to marry a gay couple and most people who are against gay marriage don't have a problem with civil unions which are basically marriage without the church with the exception of a few things that I think are important like tax exemptions, social security benefits when your partner dies, or being able to get on your partners health insurance plan (unless the company you work offers it), etc.  I think the average person who is against gay marriage are against it because of religious reasons not because of tax exemptions, etc.

I haven't fully thought through my view on gay marriage yet but something bothers me deep down inside about the conservative view on this that I can't totally grasp yet.  I consider myself a Christian but I still don't have any strong feelings against gay marriage.  I guess what I'm saying is that I really don't care one way or another.

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #40 on: January 05, 2010, 03:19:56 PM »
Your right on most of them even when I disagree.

Taxes for schools and hospitals? NOPE!!!

For throwing violent criminals in prison chains, YES

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #41 on: January 05, 2010, 04:35:37 PM »
Libertarian principles I agree with: minimal (not zero) government, bare minimum taxes, no corporate welfare/subsidies.

Libertarian principles I disagree with: So-called "victimless" criminal activity, foreign policy, economic retardation (i.e., going back to gold standard), and **instant** abolition of IRS, elimination of Social Security, etc.  The latter activities would only be able to take place over decades, at the very least.

I disagree with them far more than I agree with them, for many of the same reasons pointed out by others--more leftist than conservative beliefs.  To sum it up, Judge Learned Hand said it best, and I've used it often:

What do we mean when we say that first of all we seek liberty? I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws, and upon courts. These are false hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it. And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow. A society in which men recognize no check upon their freedom soon becomes a society where freedom is the possession of only a savage few; as we have learned to our sorrow.
“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford

Offline Chump

« Reply #42 on: January 05, 2010, 05:01:38 PM »

Awesome, I'm grateful for your sacrifice.  Let's leave it at that: a sacrifice through service.  This whole "I'd make you ****ers serve for two years," meme is borderline retarded just on its face.  "Make you serve."   :lmao:

Don't be such a baby.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Chump

« Reply #43 on: January 05, 2010, 05:04:30 PM »
Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it. And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow.

This is terribly, terribly true.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #44 on: January 05, 2010, 05:21:47 PM »
Awesome, I'm grateful for your sacrifice.  Let's leave it at that: a sacrifice through service.  This whole "I'd make you ****ers serve for two years," meme is borderline retarded just on its face.  "Make you serve."   :lmao:

Don't be such a baby.

Spare me your pathetic attempt at a contrite 'greatful' meme.

My thought is everyone should do two years of national service, period. You want to then off-set the cost of college, fine. Two years of your life to work on the country's needs doesn't sound retarded to me, ****nuts. You don't want to serve in the military? That's fine. We have a whole bunch more service related organizations for you. Maybe you could do two years in the Forestry Service?  Or maybe in a social work role at a hospital? It would kind of depend on what you wanted to do. BUT- what it would do is give you a firm foundation in owning a piece of this nation, rather than expecting it to give you something.

Kids would be getting an education in the real world, working a real job. They'd be better prepared to go to college, or into the regular workforce at age 20 than at age 18. Plus, they may well have a bit of money socked away- not to mention experience.

But...that would mean putting something besides yourself first, wouldn't it?

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #45 on: January 05, 2010, 05:52:39 PM »
Spare me your pathetic attempt at a contrite 'greatful' meme.My thought is everyone should do two years of national service, period. You want to then off-set the cost of college, fine. Two years of your life to work on the country's needs doesn't sound retarded to me, ****nuts. You don't want to serve in the military? That's fine. We have a whole bunch more service related organizations for you. Maybe you could do two years in the Forestry Service?  Or maybe in a social work role at a hospital? It would kind of depend on what you wanted to do. BUT- what it would do is give you a firm foundation in owning a piece of this nation, rather than expecting it to give you something.Kids would be getting an education in the real world, working a real job. They'd be better prepared to go to college, or into the regular workforce at age 20 than at age 18. Plus, they may well have a bit of money socked away- not to mention experience.But...that would mean putting something besides yourself first, wouldn't it?

Isn't what you are advocating a form of paid involuntary servitude? (this is the argument I've seen in the past about it)

FWIW, I agree with you about 2 years serving the country, but I'd make it the military and not just general federal service.

I wouldn't want any young adult being forced to serve in one of Obama's pet projects.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline Chump

« Reply #46 on: January 05, 2010, 08:16:52 PM »
Isn't what you are advocating a form of paid involuntary servitude? (this is the argument I've seen in the past about it)

FWIW, I agree with you about 2 years serving the country, but I'd make it the military and not just general federal service.

I wouldn't want any young adult being forced to serve in one of Obama's pet projects.

This is a much more civil and appropriate response than I would have mustered, and it illustrates why mandatory service in any capacity is reprehensible.  Dutch, for all his bluster, just wants it for the good of the nation.  Hell, think of the young men and the benefit to their development!  I even agree that learning a trade and applying yourself as a young adult is a good thing.  A mandate to do so is a far different thing.  That you would qualify it by restricting it to only military service only means you approve of government compulsion to "serve" as long as purpose of the service is OK with you.

No dice, it's wrong.  Love of country, dedication to something higher than yourself, responsibility, care for others; these are all good things.  Admirable in nearly every instance I can think of.  If you think government compulsion is the path to instilling them, then that's just so wrong it's sad.  Reminds me of an earlier quote:

What do we mean when we say that first of all we seek liberty? I often wonder whether we do not rest our hopes too much upon constitutions, upon laws, and upon courts. These are false hopes; believe me, these are false hopes. Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no law, no court can save it; no constitution, no law, no court can even do much to help it. And what is this liberty which must lie in the hearts of men and women? It is not the ruthless, the unbridled will; it is not freedom to do as one likes. That is the denial of liberty, and leads straight to its overthrow.

If you think for one second that mandatory, compulsory, at the end of a gun held by the United States government "service" of any sort were to gain a foothold here, and not end up a tool for the idiotic or worse, then you haven't been paying attention at all.

Offline dutch508

• Remember
« Reply #47 on: January 05, 2010, 08:23:57 PM »
the above two responses are why, in part, I am not a Libertarian.

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #48 on: January 05, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »
This is a much more civil and appropriate response than I would have mustered, and it illustrates why mandatory service in any capacity is reprehensible.  Dutch, for all his bluster, just wants it for the good of the nation.  Hell, think of the young men and the benefit to their development!  I even agree that learning a trade and applying yourself as a young adult is a good thing.  A mandate to do so is a far different thing.  That you would qualify it by restricting it to only military service only means you approve of government compulsion to "serve" as long as purpose of the service is OK with you.

No dice, it's wrong.  Love of country, dedication to something higher than yourself, responsibility, care for others; these are all good things.  Admirable in nearly every instance I can think of.  If you think government compulsion is the path to instilling them, then that's just so wrong it's sad.  Reminds me of an earlier quote:

If you think for one second that mandatory, compulsory, at the end of a gun held by the United States government "service" of any sort were to gain a foothold here, and not end up a tool for the idiotic or worse, then you haven't been paying attention at all.

Why do I get the sense of deja vu here?    Didn't we just debate the draft?

Offline formerlurker

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2010, 08:33:20 PM »
Ah yes, we did -- the whole wrap myself in the Constitution, but don't you dare ask me to defend it argument. http://www.conservativecave.com/index.php/topic,37537.0/highlight,draft.html

Yet another nonsense argument of the Libertarians.