Author Topic: Presented for your consideration....  (Read 1455 times)

Offline zeitgeist

Presented for your consideration....
« on: December 27, 2009, 07:20:18 PM »
Oh My.  There are some very interesting things going on here but I only have time for a teaser thread there is lots more at the link:

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x7331441

McCamy Taylor (1000+ posts)        Sun Dec-27-09 01:56 AM
Original message
Is Obama Setting Himself Up to be a One Term President Like Jimmy Carter? 
 Since the beginning of his presidential campaign, Obama supporters have been touchy about comparisons of their man to former president Jimmy Carter. I am about to stir up the hornets’ nest. Again.

A couple of years ago, I wrote about the similarities between Obama 2008 and the Carter campaign of 1976.

<snip>

This is a long read best read on the island in the original!!

Just a tease....

Joe Bacon  (1000+ posts)        Sun Dec-27-09 01:20 PM
Response to Reply #8
99. Let me refresh folks about Carter
 In 1976, I was a main organizer for Morris Udall's presidential campaign. I remember all too well how the liberal wing or the party was split over Udall, Bayh, Church and Fred Harris. All 4 of those campaigns tore each other apart and let Carter slip by. Of course having Scoop Jackson and Wallace on the right did nothing but help Carter's chances with the right wing of the party. And right in the middle of the campaign, the Supreme Court threw a monkey wrench in, torpedoing the matching funds component of the Campaign reform law. That came during the Massachusetts primary, where George Wallace was actually leading everyone else. After the decision, Labor pulled out all the stops for Scoop Jackson and he barely won.

I remember how Carter spoke out of both sides of his mouth on everything. You name it he was for and against it. The media never called him on that.

What I can never forgive Carter for doing was the fact that he opened the door for the religious right. He kept pushing how he was born again. He went out of his way to bullshit endlessly about Jesus. Everywhere he went, he flaunted the cross on his sleeve. I was flabbergasted to see the Religious Right turn on him. He did everything they wanted and yet Falwell went all over the country lying about how Carter allegedly supported gay rights. Falwell even admitted later that he lied, but he said the ends justified the means. That remark put the last nail in the coffin for my hatred of Christians.

What was amazing was how Carter blew a 35 point lead to a 1 point win over Ford. And at the last minute, a New York judge threw out the McCarthy electoral slate in New York. If those Mc Carthy electors had stayed on the ballot, Ford would have won New York and Carter would have lost.

Right after Carter was elected, he turned his back on labor. Does anyone remember the #1 item on labor's agenda after Carter was elected--Common situs picketing. How that passed the House, but got filibustered to death in the Senate and Carter did nothing.

All through Carter's presidency, he moved further and further to the right. After the New Right came to power with proposition 13 in California, and the first class of Religious nuts locking in with the Republican Party, Carter took that as a signal to move further and further right. He was obsessed with deregulation. Remember the filibuster Howard Metzenbaum tried to fight in the Senate as he tried to torpedo Carter's obsession with deregulating the price of natural gas? Remember how Carter saw nothing wrong with OPEC jacking up the price of oil through the roof in 1979. Do you remember when the price of gasoline doubled in the space of a month? Remember how that triggered massive inflation in 1979?

Then came the biggest blunder when Carter let the Shah come into the US, after David Rockefeller pressured him. Carter could never say No to David Rockefeller. And then when the hostage rescue plan was botched, that was the last straw for me. I decided I'd do whatever it takes to kick Carter's ass out of the White House.

I got to the point that I truly detested him. I started organizing for Teddy Kennedy in Western Pennsylvania. We got our campaign going and I never saw a dirtier campaign than the one Carter ran against Kennedy. All over Western PA, Carter allied with the NRA. We saw bumper stickers pop up saying "Kennedy in 80--A Blond in Every Pond" and "Have You Drowned A Polish Girl Lately?". Carter's people happily passed those stickers out. Then there were the phone calls Carter made about Joan Kennedy's alcoholism. Yeah, Mr. Born Again grinned all through this. I was so glad on Primary Night to see that Teddy beat Carter in Pennsylvania. Even then, the Whore Press spun it as a Carter Victory, they downplayed it all they wanted. I was just amazed at all the hatred the Broders and Cohens poured out on Teddy.

And I remember watching the Sunday Morning gasbags on TV just shine off Reagan. Oh, he has no chance, he's too old. They kept shining him off until it was too late. I still remember Johnny Carson goofing on Reagan and ABC's "Fridays" TV show (which was a lot funnier than Saturday Night Dead at the time) endlessly goofed on Reagan.

Me? I was so ****ing pissed off at Carter's dirty campaigning, I went and worked for Anderson. I just assumed the gasbags were right and I wanted to send a message to Carter. I still remember the last week of the 1980 campaign, Carter was up by 5 points. Then the Iranian hostage disaster broke and all of a sudden Reagan was up by 3 then 5 then 7 then 10. And Reagan won by 10 and swept in a Republican Senate with him. I just stared at the TV in disbelief as Mc Govern, Culver, Bayh, and Church all went down to defeat. After that I gave up working political campaigns. In 1984, Glenn's people begged me to work for them, but I told them I gave up.

Obama is making the same mistakes that Carter made. This is 1977 all over again. Obama is moving further and further to the right and he's opening the door for Palin to get in. She is trying to follow Reagan's 1977 playbook, but Jeb Bush is outmaneuvering her behind the scenes. As things currently stand, I will gladly cast a vote for Kucinich, Dean or even Pee Wee Herman instead of Obama in a primary. My fear is that Jeb Bush is just laughing his ass off, he will say he's the savior of the party, put Palin on his ticket and he'll get in

Do we have a shower smilie??  Remember, always wash up after leaving the dump. :-)

I have begun to wonder if we are really looking at Woodrow Wilson Obama.   :uhsure:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline diesel driver

• Creepy Ass Cracker and Smart-Ass White Boy!
  • Enhancing My Carbon Footprint!
Re: Presented for your consideration....
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 07:28:13 PM »
Zero moving to the right?

Man, he must have some GOOD industrial strength heavy duty meds to even conceive that thought....   :hammer:

Reality to a DUmmie is like a cross to Dracula....
Murphy's 3rd Law:  "You can't make anything 'idiot DUmmie proof'.  The world will just create a better idiot DUmmie."

Liberals are like Slinkys.  Basically useless, but they do bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs...

Global warming supporters believe that a few hundred million tons of CO2 has more control over our climate than a million mile in diameter, unshielded thermo-nuclear fusion reactor at the middle of the solar system.

"A dead enemy is a peaceful enemy.  Blessed be the peacemakers". - U.S. Marine Corp

You can't fix stupid, but you can vote it out of office.

Offline Carl

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 07:28:29 PM »
The revisionist writing is mind numbing on its own not to mention the lies.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2009, 07:31:51 PM »
Zero moving to the right?

Man, he must have some GOOD industrial strength heavy duty meds to even conceive that thought....   :hammer:

Reality to a DUmmie is like a cross to Dracula....

Well yeah but any thing is possible in...

:rotf:
< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline The Village Idiot

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2009, 07:35:53 PM »
McCamy Taylor??

Not THE McCamy Taylor??

That would be dis-spiriting. heh

Offline Chris

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2009, 07:37:27 PM »
Who is McCamy Taylor and why should any reasonable person give a damn?

I'm asking for a friend...
This post is disruptive, hurtful, rude, insensitive, over-the-top, or otherwise inappropriate.

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2009, 07:41:53 PM »
Who is McCamy Taylor and why should any reasonable person give a damn?

I'm asking for a friend...

Well. A long time ago, before I really got into politics much online, I read some sci-fi from a person named McCamy Taylor that I liked. It might be the same person.

She writes or has written a lot for the Aphelion webzine... I wrote one too but I later demanded it be removed over another dispute. Its not like they pay or anything.

Her best story I saw there:

http://www.aphelion-webzine.com/shorts/Cora1.htm
« Last Edit: December 27, 2009, 07:44:46 PM by FGL »

• Banned
  • Probationary (Probie)
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2009, 07:47:28 PM »
Seems to be the same person.

Oh well.... *sigh*

Offline thundley4

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2009, 08:03:46 PM »
Do we have a shower smilie??  Remember, always wash up after leaving the dump.
I have one that is close.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2009, 09:57:59 PM »
Well yeah but any thing is possible in...

:rotf:

Or maybe more to the point, in ...

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2009, 08:57:15 AM »
The revisionist writing is mind numbing on its own not to mention the lies.

No kiddin'.  This Joe Bacon primitive takes the cake.  I liked this rewrite:

Quote from:
Joe Bacon

I still remember the last week of the 1980 campaign, Carter was up by 5 points. Then the Iranian hostage disaster broke and all of a sudden Reagan was up by 3 then 5 then 7 then 10.

The hostages had been held for 400 days, but according to this dimwit, it was only in "the last week of the 1980 campaign" that the "disaster broke."

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #11 on: December 28, 2009, 09:43:28 AM »
No kiddin'.  This Joe Bacon primitive takes the cake.  I liked this rewrite:

The hostages had been held for 400 days, but according to this dimwit, it was only in "the last week of the 1980 campaign" that the "disaster broke."

I remember when the news broke over the ill fated attempted rescue. I always wondered why the hell they didn't check the frikkin' weather report!!!!!!! C'mon, we had satellites back then, too!

I too wanted Carters head for that fiasco, so this DUmmie is not alone! The one good thing that came out of that tragedy was we got Ronaldus "Magnum" Reaguns into the WhiteHouse, so we could try and rebuild what Carter destroyed! Single frikkin' most worthless Pres in my lifetime and I've been around for half a century and then some.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Oceander

« Reply #12 on: December 28, 2009, 09:50:31 AM »
I remember when the news broke over the ill fated attempted rescue. I always wondered why the hell they didn't check the frikkin' weather report!!!!!!! C'mon, we had satellites back then, too!

I too wanted Carters head for that fiasco, so this DUmmie is not alone! The one good thing that came out of that tragedy was we got Ronaldus "Magnum" Reaguns into the WhiteHouse, so we could try and rebuild what Carter destroyed! Single frikkin' most worthless Pres in my lifetime and I've been around for half a century and then some.

Unfortunately, I think Carter's just lost his status of Worst President Ever.

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2009, 09:54:24 AM »

Agreed, but it happened on April 25, 1980, hardly the "last week of the 1980 campaign" as this primitive falsely claimed.  And that's only if he was making reference to that.  Given how poorly the primitive lied about all the other things, I wouldn't be surprised that he was making reference to the hostages being taken one week before the 1980 election.

Also note that with this Joe Bacon primitive anything bad that has ever happened is the fault of the "right" and the "left" were all innocent bystanders who are nothing more than the unfortunante recipients of everyone else's blunders.  :mental:

« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:16:10 AM by USA4ME »
Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline AllosaursRus

• Skip Tracing by Contract Only!
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2009, 09:59:49 AM »
Agreed, but it happened on April 25, 1980, hardly the "last week of the 1980 campaign" as this primitive falsely claimed.  And that's only if he was making reference to that.  Given how poorly the primitive lied about all the other things, I wouldn't be surprised that he was making reference to the hostages being taken one week before the 1980 election.

Ah well.........we know DUmmies lie, they lie all the time. No surprise he stretched the truth this time or any other.
I'm the guy your mother warned you about!

Offline Lord Undies

« Reply #15 on: December 28, 2009, 10:07:13 AM »
The endless amount of history that must be changed in order to make the left look (good and) reasonable should be all anyone considering the left's merits needs to know.

Offline Oceander

« Reply #16 on: December 28, 2009, 10:11:48 AM »
The endless amount of history that must be changed in order to make the left look (good and) reasonable should be all anyone considering the left's merits needs to know.

Yeah, but they're experienced enough at it, considering how often the "truth" changed to suit the changing whims of the old Soviet leadership.