Author Topic: Anybody old enough to remember these?  (Read 5629 times)

Offline Wayne

Anybody old enough to remember these?
« on: December 19, 2009, 08:26:14 AM »
  Besides me I mean.

http://oldfortyfives.com/WhenLifewasInBlack&White.htm

I saw all but 4 of them when I was a kid.

Offline Lord Undies

Re: Anybody old enough to remember these?
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2009, 08:42:47 AM »
I saw them all, but most in syndicated reruns in the 1960's.  "I Love Lucy" was filming its fourth season when I was born, so even someone of my advanced age I cannot remember seeing the show during its actual run.  I vaguely remember seeing the "Lucy-Desi Comedy Hour" in about 1959 or 1960.  I was barely on solid foods then.

Funny how life is a circle.  I'm barely on solid foods now and I can still find "I Love Lucy" on. 

Offline RobJohnson

« Reply #2 on: December 19, 2009, 09:19:29 AM »
Neat website, what a blast from the past.

I've seen alot of the shows in syndication, but I'm one of the youngest members here at CU. (well it's nice to dream)

Offline Randy

• Resident Grouch with a
  • Odd
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2009, 10:27:56 AM »
I remember most of them. The problem is most I don't remember were on when I was around while some I remember weren't, so the real question is why don't I remember the ones I should?  :rotf:

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2009, 10:58:22 AM »
Yeah, all on in reruns during the daytime.

Gilligan's Island was in prime time though. People younger than me often ask "how could you seriously watch that show? They never got rescued!"

What they don't understand is that when the show was in prime time, we didn't actually know that they would never get rescued. We tuned in every week, just in case this was the week that they were going to make it off the island.

Offline Thor

• General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!
  • In Memoriam
  • Native Texan & US Navy (ret)
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2009, 11:15:13 AM »
I was "repairing" our TV when I was six or so. It wasn't terribly difficult. One looks for the tube that wasn't lighting up and took it to the local store, placed it on the tube checker and either purchased a new tube or kept the ones that checked good. I remember that the TV stations would play the Star Spangled Banner right at sign off on then go to the Indian Head Test Pattern.
"The state must declare the child to be the most precious treasure of the people. As long as the government is perceived as working for the benefit of the children, the people will happily endure almost any curtailment of liberty and almost any deprivation."- IBID

I AM your General Ne'er Do Well, Troublemaker & All Around Meanie!!

"Congress has not unlimited powers to provide for the general welfare, but only those specifically enumerated."-Thomas Jefferson

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2009, 02:52:06 PM »
Hell.....I remember staying up until four AM to watch the current Queen of England being crowned.......

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2009, 11:57:41 PM »
I remember alot of those shows but like most here it was when they were rerun. Most of the westerns have been on ENCORES Western channel for a time now. I like them. Those shows are better written then anything going now. I remember watching Star Trek during its first run in Black and White. Hard to believe that those shows are pushing 40-60 years now.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Oceander

« Reply #8 on: December 20, 2009, 05:20:20 AM »
Some of those I actually watched as "first time" syndications overseas as a foreign-service brat in the late 70s.

Offline Tucker

• Making money the old fashioned way- Paid Mole
« Reply #9 on: December 20, 2009, 05:28:21 AM »
I watched them all............1st run.
Come to think of it, unions do create jobs. Companies have to hire two workers to do the work of one.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2009, 09:55:28 AM »
Hell.....I remember staying up until four AM to watch the current Queen of England being crowned.......

doc

Yup, me too and that was the only time the programing was questionable if I remember correctly.

My Grandma explained to me what was going on and when some man dressed in very, to me, strange clothing bent down to kiss Elizabeth's breast the camera panned away.

Wasn't just that the film was black and white, so were the story lines, there were no gray areas except for that darn Eddie Haskell that everyone loved to see  get his comeuppance.

First TV show I remember watching was a cooking show before technology could filter out the noise of the mixer--darn that was annoying.

I would not miss a BOZO program and his Peanut Gallery became a house hold word. 

First program that gave the viewer a chance to actually think was the Twilight Zone, " Come back, its a cook book" 

First Holy Crap was in the late 1970 and cable showed " Looking for Mr. Good Bar."   

First really amazing show   MTV---In the mid 1980's I must have had that Chanel on 24/7 for a couple weeks or so.

Today there are no, that I can find other then documentaries, that all ages can enjoy----Now that Benny Hill, George and Gracie, Cid Ceaser and Imogene Cocoa, Art Carney and Jackie Gleason  has left us.  Good clean fun with an undercurrent of sex that would go right over a child's head.

Put on the Comedy Chanel and every, so called comedian , feels the need to either disparage themselves, apologise for being Jewish, Gay or from elsewhere,  drop the F Bomb every 60 seconds.

Anyone remember Steve Martin when he started out,  How about Robin Williams--first time I saw either of them I was home on vacation and saw them with my parents and kids.  We adults were in actual tears from laughter.

Any one remember Exevier Curgart and that 15 year old wife Charro he rescued from a convent??

Off subject, I saw a collection of the bandmasters paintings that blew me away, the man was a real artist.

Where are the new Ed Sullivan's and Uncle Miltie, first time I ever saw DRAG----And those hilarious programs from Boston that had a talent contest for kids---they sang and forgot the words, they danced and fell down,   Children bound to grow up and go on the GONG SHOW. 

What we lack in life today is a really good belly laugh.  A feel good program that when one sits down to watch a show one anticipates having a good time, sweep away all the negative feelings, just laugh until you gasp for air.

Offline zeitgeist

« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2009, 11:01:53 AM »
Yup, me too and that was the only time the programing was questionable if I remember correctly.

My Grandma explained to me what was going on and when some man dressed in very, to me, strange clothing bent down to kiss Elizabeth's breast the camera panned away.

Wasn't just that the film was black and white, so were the story lines, there were no gray areas except for that darn Eddie Haskell that everyone loved to see  get his comeuppance.

First TV show I remember watching was a cooking show before technology could filter out the noise of the mixer--darn that was annoying.

I would not miss a BOZO program and his Peanut Gallery became a house hold word. 

First program that gave the viewer a chance to actually think was the Twilight Zone, " Come back, its a cook book" 

First Holy Crap was in the late 1970 and cable showed " Looking for Mr. Good Bar."   

First really amazing show   MTV---In the mid 1980's I must have had that Chanel on 24/7 for a couple weeks or so.

Today there are no, that I can find other then documentaries, that all ages can enjoy----Now that Benny Hill, George and Gracie, Cid Ceaser and Imogene Cocoa, Art Carney and Jackie Gleason  has left us.  Good clean fun with an undercurrent of sex that would go right over a child's head.

Put on the Comedy Chanel and every, so called comedian , feels the need to either disparage themselves, apologise for being Jewish, Gay or from elsewhere,  drop the F Bomb every 60 seconds.

Anyone remember Steve Martin when he started out,  How about Robin Williams--first time I saw either of them I was home on vacation and saw them with my parents and kids.  We adults were in actual tears from laughter.

Any one remember Exevier Curgart and that 15 year old wife Charro he rescued from a convent??

Off subject, I saw a collection of the bandmasters paintings that blew me away, the man was a real artist.

Where are the new Ed Sullivan's and Uncle Miltie, first time I ever saw DRAG----And those hilarious programs from Boston that had a talent contest for kids---they sang and forgot the words, they danced and fell down,   Children bound to grow up and go on the GONG SHOW. 

What we lack in life today is a really good belly laugh.  A feel good program that when one sits down to watch a show one anticipates having a good time, sweep away all the negative feelings, just laugh until you gasp for air.

I still have an etch a sketch up in  my computer room ( albeit a latter day reproduction ).  Leading to the line, wanna come up an see my etchings??  :naughty: :rotf:

We only got three stations ( on  a good day, had rabbit ears only ) and two didn't come on until three in the afternoon but all went off after the late night news with the SSB,  the test pattern came on to adjust the set and  often came on when the station went off  as well.

< watch this space for coming distractions >

Offline rustybayonet

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2009, 11:52:16 AM »
Well you just proved again how old I am -

Guy Lombardo always did the New Years eve shows, both on TV and Radio
Lone Ranger came over from radio, along with Red Skelton, Amos and Andy, and the list can get bigger.
As a kid, talk of the school and playground was waiting for Superman on TV and Davy Crocket along with others.
Princess SummerFallWinterSpring was replaced by Annette as boys dream girl.
Lucy hadn't had her kids yet, their movie "Long,Long Trailer" wasn't out.
All kids argued who was better, Lone Ranger, Gene Autry, Roy Rogers, Cisco Kid - hell Maverick wasn't even gambling yet.
Ted Williams was just back from the war, Mickey Mantle, Al Kaline, Harvey Kuene were rookies, the Giants were still in New York along with the Dodgers, The A's in Philadelphia, the Braves in Boston, no NY Mets, Florida Marlins, in fact Texas and California didn't have any pro baseball teams.
Airline planes only had propellers, gas was less than $.25 a gallon, you had to "dial" a phone, if away from home and you had to call someone you looked for a 'pay phone'.
Most Mom's stayed home - cooking done on the stove or in the oven - no micro-waves - no Pizza.

Surprised we lived through all that--

Damn am I old
yesterday is history, tomorrow is a mystery - today is a gift- that's why it's called the "present"

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2009, 12:07:13 PM »
Airline planes only had propellers, gas was less than $.25 a gallon, you had to "dial" a phone, if away from home and you had to call someone you looked for a 'pay phone'.

Damn am I old

Got you beat.....when I was a kid, there were no "dial"  phones.......you lifted the receiver, and waited for the operator to come on the line and connect your call......she (my mother was an operator) answered the phone with "number please?"........

doc
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline vesta111

• In Memoriam
« Reply #14 on: December 21, 2009, 07:58:55 AM »
Got you beat.....when I was a kid, there were no "dial"  phones.......you lifted the receiver, and waited for the operator to come on the line and connect your call......she (my mother was an operator) answered the phone with "number please?"........

doc

Chunka-chunka the early morning sound of a coal furnace being shaken down.  Or the banging of the air in the pipes of a radiator.

Scrape- scrape as someone was scraping off burnt toast  and the Wonderful smell of perked coffee.

Anyone remember oleo that was white with a glob of yellow dye in it and the stuff was in a plastic bag and needed to be hand mixed.?

Learning to drive standard and putting on chains on the tires just to drive to town.

One grandmother never did buy a agitator washing machine, she used the one that had a wringer up to the mid 1960's.

Greatest invention of the century---Pantyhoes

Offline crockspot

• In Memoriam
  • Bite me, libs.
« Reply #15 on: December 21, 2009, 08:06:22 AM »
Chunka-chunka the early morning sound of a coal furnace being shaken down.  Or the banging of the air in the pipes of a radiator.

Scrape- scrape as someone was scraping off burnt toast  and the Wonderful smell of perked coffee.

Anyone remember oleo that was white with a glob of yellow dye in it and the stuff was in a plastic bag and needed to be hand mixed.?

Learning to drive standard and putting on chains on the tires just to drive to town.

One grandmother never did buy a agitator washing machine, she used the one that had a wringer up to the mid 1960's.

Greatest invention of the century---Pantyhoes

I need me one of them!