Author Topic: What would YOU do to improve healthcare?  (Read 15446 times)

Offline Deuce

Re: What would YOU do to improve healthcare?
« Reply #100 on: October 14, 2009, 11:09:24 AM »
I'm glad I stopped by the Democrat Underground forum, because I found this:
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2009/10/12/ap/strange/main5380472.shtml
 :lmao:

Anyway.

Eupher - The point is that people are literally more likely to die without insurance than with. I brought that up and people said it was "nonsense." I then posted statistics that support it.

The "ideas" others posted either I already said, or they were "end medicaid/medicare"

So I'll discuss those, since they are so vague.

So we end Medicare. Seniors everywhere are left without support, the sickest population we have. Pulling the plug on grandma, literally. Many would go bankrupt, spending what little savings they have trying to keep themselves alive. When those funds run out? When they must choose between paying rent and paying for lifesaving medication?

Billions of dollars are freed up. What do we do with them? Immediately end the taxes supporting Medicare seems obvious, but what do we do with the people who have paid into the system for years but will never benefit from it? Send them a check? Do we take some of the money and distribute it to the states for some much-needed road repairs or school renovations?

Or do we end Medicare in a more phased manner, by simply not signing up any more people? As the current enrollment dies off, the costs will trail down and eventually go to zero.

Medicaid: The very poor are left now without coverage. When they get sick or hurt, they still go to the hospital. Do we leave them on the street or care for them anyway? Who pays for it? Without the Medicaid support, the hospital must increase its overcharging of insurance companies to stay afloat. Premiums go up, we all end up paying for it anyway.

If you leave them on the street, aren't we just creating that "dying for lack of money" situation?

Offline Chump

« Reply #101 on: October 14, 2009, 11:18:49 AM »
Reversing government scope creep is not a "sign this paper now everyone is ****ed" process.  We get back to proper government limits strategically, so that we don't make a bad situation worse.

Some, those who've lived lives declaring their entitlement to the production of others, will find several rugs pulled out from under them.  So be it.

Stop reverting to emotional appeals, Deuce.  We're talking logical limits and basic premises, and you're talking about pulling the plug on Grandma's life support, as if I'm supposed to say, "OK, I'm sad now.  You win."  You're still arguing from the premise that it's the government's responsibility to provide anything other than protection for its citizens, and I've said over and over that I reject that premise outright.

Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.
~Atlas Shrugged, Galt's speech

Offline Chump

« Reply #102 on: October 14, 2009, 11:20:27 AM »
And that guy was no ninja.  First, he was seen and his motives were known.  Then there's this:

Officers said they pulled out bean bag and taser guns, and the man became polite and cooperative.

Pretty ****ing weak "ninja" there.
Political tags - such as royalist, communist, democrat, populist, fascist, liberal, conservative, and so forth - are never basic criteria. The human race divides politically into those who want people to be controlled and those who have no such desire.   ~Robert A. Heinlein

...let the cannibal who snarls that the freedom of man's mind was needed to create an industrial civilization, but is not needed to maintain it, be given an arrowhead and bearskin, not a university chair of economics.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #103 on: October 14, 2009, 11:23:28 AM »
The only way to stop Medicare is to stop it for those who have never worked, received a paycheck with taxes paid.

Everyone else is paying into it with every paycheck, or if self-employed, when they pay their income taxes.

I've been working and paying taxes for 40 years...I'm entitled to receive Medicare.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline Chump

« Reply #104 on: October 14, 2009, 11:28:09 AM »
The only way to stop Medicare is to stop it for those who have never worked, received a paycheck with taxes paid.

Everyone else is paying into it with every paycheck, or if self-employed, when they pay their income taxes.

I've been working and paying taxes for 40 years...I'm entitled to receive Medicare.

And it's the same story with Social Security, and a perfect example of how destructive a bloated government is.  The ideal behind Social Security and Medicare, while admirable from a social standpoint, has been perverted and corrupted because neither are within the realm of government responsibility.

I would very much appreciate a say in how money that, as you pointed out deb, I'm absolutely entitled to (having been mine in the first place) being left in my own hands to do with as I please.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #105 on: October 14, 2009, 11:35:48 AM »
And it's the same story with Social Security, and a perfect example of how destructive a bloated government is.  The ideal behind Social Security and Medicare, while admirable from a social standpoint, has been perverted and corrupted because neither are within the realm of government responsibility.

I would very much appreciate a say in how money that, as you pointed out deb, I'm absolutely entitled to (having been mine in the first place) being left in my own hands to do with as I please.

Chump.....I can't remember which pairing it was ...either Michael Moore/Hannity or Bill Maher/one of his guests.....and they were arguing that "rich" people collect the same amount of SS and Medicare and those in the middle class.

I was so frustrated watching the tv and couldn't believe the stupidity.....

There is a cap on how much SS or Medicare benefits one can receive...regardless of how much they have paid into taxes in a lifetime.

Once at a certain income level...it doesn't matter how many years you have worked and how much you have paid to SS over the years....you still can never exceed the cap.

To say that a "rich" person receives more SS than a middle class person...is not necessarily true.

While I will never qualify for as much SS money as my other half does....he still will never receive as much as he has put in over 50 years.

I know he would much rather have been able to invest the money he has paid for 50 years into SS.....he would be getting a better return for his investment.
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #106 on: October 14, 2009, 11:40:42 AM »
Deuce:

You seem horribly fixed on the idea that "people are literally more likely to die without insurance than with."

That's a no-brainer and requires very little thought because common sense tells me that you're right. The other part of me says, "So what?"

Your presentation is flawed because it's fraught with emotion. Speaking for myself, I'd say it isn't the basic point you're making, it's how you're making it.

Based on your logic and your very emotional appeal (Chump has that part completely correct vis a vis your methodology of argument), I think it stands to reason the following:

"People are literally more likely to die in motor vehicle accidents when they're in said vehicles than not."

Of course people are going to die in motor vehicle accidents when they're riding in them. Doh! And there are going to be rich people and some have-nots. Most of the have-nots are going to struggle in this world. Many of the rich will too, because they're using their wits, their resources, and their entrepreneurship to find a better life for themselves and their families. This is not to suggest that the have-nots don't do that as well, but you're going to find far fewer rich people standing there with their hand out expecting Uncle Sugar to take care of them.

Your basic premise is to force the country to adopt a hand-wringing, gotta-throw-money-at-the-have-nots policy (under the cloak of "humanitarianism") of the kind of scope that will further cripple the country. If you want to see a link on that, just check out the debacle that is the Massachusetts health care system today.

As a determined conservative, I can see that we're going to have have-nots. And I further see our current system taking care of those have-nots. Do they get the same stellar health care of, say, Arnold Schwarzenegger? Of course not. Do some die because they're homeless and they expire while waiting in the waiting room overnight? Yep, some of that is going to happen.

Rolling back government, i.e., Medicare and Medicaid, simply won't happen. As passionate as DefiantSix is about his position on the issue, politics will see to it that those government systems stay. Some of the nuances might change and benefits reduced, but the U.S. Congress rarely met a government program it didn't like, keeping most of those long beyond their usefulness. So I think you can put your mind at rest on that issue.

Medicaid (cough) and Medicare (choke) will stay.

What did the country do for its geezers and have-nots before LBJ and his Great Society came along? That might be the larger question.

Families were tighter in those years, and neighbors more inclined to help you if you had a problem. Churches were sanctuaries in thought, word, and deed and helped people of all types. It may be a stretch, but I think the basic changes in our society as reflected in the LBJ Great Society example have resulted in a degradation of family and community that plagues us far beyond your lamenting poor people today.

Think about it. Would Mr. Jones, in 1935 in the midst of the Great Depression, calmly walk around the freezing, homeless figure of Mr. Smith completely ignoring him? Mr. Jones today worries about being sued because he tried to help someone and the act blew up in his face.

Tort reform should be an absolute component of any effort to "fix" our health care system - which happens to be the finest in the world.

But you've heard that before, seems to me.   :popcorn:   
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Chump

« Reply #107 on: October 14, 2009, 11:42:27 AM »
That's a good point deb, and it reveals a larger folly.  Apparently the leftist on that show was decrying how unfair it would be for the rich to even receive the same amount as those who've earned and contributed less over their lives.  I have no doubt they'd prefer the rich contributed even more and received even less, perhaps nothing.

How do you have a discussion with such a cretin who doesn't even know the reasoning behind SS's and Medicare's creation in the first place, yet pretends to be knowledgeable about the subject?

Offline Ptarmigan

• Bunny Slayer
  • God Hates Bunnies
« Reply #108 on: October 14, 2009, 11:44:16 AM »
People should have the right to buy health insurance in different states, not just in their home state.

Put less regulation on health care.

Never interrupt your enemy when he is making a mistake.
-Napoleon Bonaparte

Allow enemies their space to hate; they will destroy themselves in the process.
-Lisa Du

Offline Chump

« Reply #109 on: October 14, 2009, 11:48:31 AM »
Rolling back government, i.e., Medicare and Medicaid, simply won't happen. As passionate as DefiantSix is about his position on the issue, politics will see to it that those government systems stay. Some of the nuances might change and benefits reduced, but the U.S. Congress rarely met a government program it didn't like, keeping most of those long beyond their usefulness. So I think you can put your mind at rest on that issue.  

:lmao:

I just had a day-dream about a politician basing his platform on less "free money."  Then I imagined a meeting of the Sub-Committee to report to the Committee for Further Reduction of Government Services regarding the end of Medicare and Social Security income deductions.

:rofl:

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #110 on: October 14, 2009, 12:18:10 PM »
Deuce:

What did the country do for its geezers and have-nots before LBJ and his Great Society came along? That might be the larger question.

Families were tighter in those years, and neighbors more inclined to help you if you had a problem. Churches were sanctuaries in thought, word, and deed and helped people of all types. It may be a stretch, but I think the basic changes in our society as reflected in the LBJ Great Society example have resulted in a degradation of family and community that plagues us far beyond your lamenting poor people today.

Think about it. Would Mr. Jones, in 1935 in the midst of the Great Depression, calmly walk around the freezing, homeless figure of Mr. Smith completely ignoring him? Mr. Jones today worries about being sued because he tried to help someone and the act blew up in his face.

You also have to realize Deuce...that "horrible" medical care that you and all the other liberals are complaining about....is the same health care that has added on what?....15-20 years life expectency from the 1930's and probably 10-15 years since LBJ.

People are living much longer in this country than ever before and I believe....but am not positive....that the US has the highest life expectancy of any other country.

The longer people live....the greater the chance is that they will become sick with something...whether it be heart disease, cancer, Alzheimer's...something.

The greater the chance of getting a life-threatening/ending disease...the greater the chance of dying.

The largest segment of the population is the Baby Boomer group ...to which I barely slide into.

When you add all those components....longer lifetime, greater chance of becoming ill, more people to die....IT WILL SKEW THE DATA!

Is the data wrong or is it right?

It's both....right because the numbers are possibly there.....wrong because the criteria components while similar are not exact.

It's very easy ....for any group that wants to present specific information .... to skew the "experiment" to get the desired results.

The problem is....those Baby Boomers that the politicians are trying to fool? They aren't as naive as their parents were, their education levels are much higher, their knowledge has been added to by all the various sources of information( 24 hr news, internet, etc) available to them these days and the politicians don't know how to deal with a population that is just not as stupid as they would like them to be.

Offline Splashdown

• Out of 9 lives, I spent 7
« Reply #111 on: October 14, 2009, 12:38:42 PM »
1. Enforce illegal immigration laws. We can't afford treating them in our ERs.
2. Tort reform. Stop stupid lawsuits. Caveat emptor.
3. Medical savings accounts run like 401(k)s.
4. Tax deductions for health insurance payments.
5. Enable more competition. Allow the market to work.
Let nothing trouble you,
Let nothing frighten you. 
All things are passing;
God never changes.
Patience attains all that it strives for.
He who has God lacks nothing:
God alone suffices.
--St. Theresa of Avila

"No crushed ice; no peas." -- Undies

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #112 on: October 14, 2009, 12:55:25 PM »
1. Enforce illegal immigration laws. We can't afford treating them in our ERs.
2. Tort reform. Stop stupid lawsuits. Caveat emptor.
3. Medical savings accounts run like 401(k)s.
4. Tax deductions for health insurance payments.
5. Enable more competition. Allow the market to work.

PERFECT!!! :bow:

Want to run for President?   :-)

Offline Deuce

« Reply #113 on: October 14, 2009, 01:11:49 PM »

This is what I was getting at. More than one person said "end medicare immediately." I wanted to clarify that. I agree that a phased rollback of Medicare would be the way to go if we were to get rid of it. The problem then becomes that you have a segment of the population who has "earned" Medicare but nobody to pay for it. Someone mentioned they'd been paying taxes for 40 years, how do we pay for your healthcare without making the 16-year old at his very first job foot the bill?

People are living much longer in this country than ever before and I believe....but am not positive....that the US has the highest life expectancy of any other country.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

We get our ass kicked when it comes to life expectancy. Part of it is that segment of the population that never receives much in the way of healthcare - one thing socialized medicine will do is make sure the poor go to the doctor more often.

However, I think our generally poor way of life is the biggest factor here. We eat crappy food, we don't exercise, we smoke, we drink. We crash cars and kill eachother. Compare what we eat to the Japanese, and compare our crime rates.

If you normalize for violent crimes and accidents, we move closer to the top, but we are most definitely not #1.

Which brings up one of the points i made on the first page: A key to reducing the cost of healthcare is reducing the amount of healthcare we need. It's hard to encourage healthy behavior without trampling on our rights, however. Any ideas on those lines, or do we just accept the highest obesity rates in the world as the American way of life?

Offline Chump

« Reply #114 on: October 14, 2009, 01:22:34 PM »
This is what I was getting at. More than one person said "end medicare immediately." I wanted to clarify that. I agree that a phased rollback of Medicare would be the way to go if we were to get rid of it. The problem then becomes that you have a segment of the population who has "earned" Medicare but nobody to pay for it. Someone mentioned they'd been paying taxes for 40 years, how do we pay for your healthcare without making the 16-year old at his very first job foot the bill?

Yes, it did end up quite the Ponzi scheme, didn't it?  Knock me over with a feather.

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #115 on: October 14, 2009, 01:23:20 PM »
Which brings up one of the points i made on the first page: A key to reducing the cost of healthcare is reducing the amount of healthcare we need. It's hard to encourage healthy behavior without trampling on our rights, however. Any ideas on those lines, or do we just accept the highest obesity rates in the world as the American way of life?

I am by no means obese or even overweight...I don't need the government to tell me what I can or cannot eat! Nor do I think it's fair to have a "health" tax put on my Big Mac.

Try to take my chocolate away from me.....and you need to be prepared to live without your hands.

one thing socialized medicine will do is make sure the poor go to the doctor more often.

No...the government WON'T MAKE SURE that the poor go to the doctor.

You cannot force someone to go to a doctor.....regardless of how much money they have or don't have, or whether or not they have insurance or not.

Congress knows they can't force someone to get medical care.....they just hope the people they are preaching to are too stupid to think differently.

Offline Deuce

« Reply #116 on: October 14, 2009, 01:35:08 PM »
No, the UK for example doesn't force anyone to go to the doctor. But when healthcare is essentially free, you will go more often. A lot more.

(and by free I mean there's very little expense beyond the taxes you've already paid)

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
« Reply #117 on: October 14, 2009, 01:44:49 PM »
No, the UK for example doesn't force anyone to go to the doctor. But when healthcare is essentially free, you will go more often. A lot more.

(and by free I mean there's very little expense beyond the taxes you've already paid)

So...by your statement above....you expect EVERYONE to pay taxes.

You must not be living in the same country that I am.

Offline Chump

« Reply #118 on: October 14, 2009, 01:45:26 PM »
Any ideas on those lines, or do we just accept the highest obesity rates in the world as the American way of life?

What is there to accept?  That other people make stupid decisions, sometimes throughout their entire lives?

Accept it; you have no other choice.  Unless, of course, the public has a vested interest in the health of every, single private citizen, due to the government's involvement in both the health care and health insurance industries.   :whatever:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #119 on: October 14, 2009, 02:28:38 PM »
Deuce:

Jesus, Deuce, you're making it sound as if most of us are at death's door. Aneurysm Alley. Heart Attack Boulevard.

Even in the Wiki article you quoted, the US is sitting in 35th place, out of 191 countries. The world average for life expectancy is 67.2 years, and even in lowly 35th place, the US registers 78.1, well over 10 years above the average.

Looks like all those Big Macs and Whoppers are really doin' us in, huh?  :whatever:

The key to getting people to do anything is to tie in the activity such that it provides a tangible benefit to that person. People act in their own best interests. You can create all kinds of government incentives - say tax cuts for going to the gym (who's gonna track THAT stuff, Deuce?), or annual weigh-ins (same thing) or otherwise entice people to do things that medicine says are good for us, but at the end of the day, people are gonna smoke cigarettes, drink Old Grand Dad, and slam 4 Whoppers in a single sitting.

But stupidity isn't the norm - far from it.

I sure wish you'd stop with the doomsday stuff. It ain't as bad as you're trying to make it out to be. You want bad? Look at Swaziland.
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline docstew

• My Wife is awesome!
« Reply #120 on: October 14, 2009, 02:32:40 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

We get our ass kicked when it comes to life expectancy. Part of it is that segment of the population that never receives much in the way of healthcare - one thing socialized medicine will do is make sure the poor go to the doctor more often.

However, I think our generally poor way of life is the biggest factor here. We eat crappy food, we don't exercise, we smoke, we drink. We crash cars and kill eachother. Compare what we eat to the Japanese, and compare our crime rates.

If you normalize for violent crimes and accidents, we move closer to the top, but we are most definitely not #1.

How about the life expectancies for those who reach a certain age?  Assuming someone reaches the age of 40, where are they going to live longer, the US or Cuba?  How about 50?  The US or UK?  60?

Alot of our life expectancy number is brought down by deaths at young ages, to otherwise healthy individuals, through car accidents, other types of accidents, etc.  Once you get past that point, you have a better chance here than anywhere else.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #121 on: October 14, 2009, 03:22:08 PM »
How about the life expectancies for those who reach a certain age?  Assuming someone reaches the age of 40, where are they going to live longer, the US or Cuba?  How about 50?  The US or UK?  60?

Alot of our life expectancy number is brought down by deaths at young ages, to otherwise healthy individuals, through car accidents, other types of accidents, etc.  Once you get past that point, you have a better chance here than anywhere else.

Something else that brings life expectancy down quite a bit is the way that premature baby deaths are counted by the different countries.

Offline Deuce

« Reply #122 on: October 14, 2009, 05:33:44 PM »
Yes, life expectancy has a zillion different variables. But in no way of measuring are we #1, and largely I think that's due to our unhealthy habits. Those unhealthy habits lead to expensive healthcare, and we end up spending a lot more to get those last couple years out than we'd otherwise have to.

Improving our health is a worthy goal. Unfortunately I don't see any easy ways of doing that. The best method I can think of is altering school curriculum in the early years to emphasize healthy eating and exercise more. Other than that, you're left with crappy options like taxing unhealthy products (regressive) or banning them outright (blatantly trampling on rights).

Tax breaks for gym memberships? Probably would cost more to track the tax breaks than the value of the breaks.

It's just random brainstorming, no need to freak out about it.

Edit: If nobody else is going to offer up solutions then I think this thread has run its course.

Offline rich_t

• TANSTAAFL
« Reply #123 on: October 14, 2009, 05:50:28 PM »
Solutions have been offered.  You merely don't like them because they don't fit your world view.
"The American people will never knowingly adopt socialism. But, under the name of 'liberalism,' they will adopt every fragment of the socialist program, until one day America will be a socialist nation, without knowing how it happened." --Norman Thomas, 1944

Offline bkg

« Reply #124 on: October 14, 2009, 06:45:46 PM »
Solutions have been offered.  You merely don't like them because they don't fit your world view.

/thread.