Author Topic: WH Furious with Gen McChrystal  (Read 1324 times)

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
WH Furious with Gen McChrystal
« on: October 05, 2009, 08:14:19 AM »
According to sources close to the administration, Gen McChrystal shocked and angered presidential advisers with the bluntness of a speech given in London last week.

The next day he was summoned to an awkward 25-minute face-to-face meeting on board Air Force One on the tarmac in Copenhagen, where the president had arrived to tout Chicago's unsuccessful Olympic bid.

Asked if the president had told the general to tone down his remarks, he told CBS: "I wasn't there so I can't answer that question. But it was an opportunity for them to get to know each other a little bit better. I am sure they exchanged direct views."

An adviser to the administration said: "People aren't sure whether McChrystal is being naïve or an upstart. To my mind he doesn't seem ready for this Washington hard-ball and is just speaking his mind too plainly."

In London, Gen McChrystal, who heads the 68,000 US troops in Afghanistan as well as the 100,000 Nato forces, flatly rejected proposals to switch to a strategy more reliant on drone missile strikes and special forces operations against al-Qaeda.

He told the Institute of International and Strategic Studies that the formula, which is favoured by Vice-President Joe Biden, would lead to "Chaos-istan".

When asked whether he would support it, he said: "The short answer is: No."

He went on to say: "Waiting does not prolong a favorable outcome. This effort will not remain winnable indefinitely, and nor will public support."

The remarks have been seen by some in the Obama administration as a barbed reference to the slow pace of debate within the White House.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/barackobama/6259582/Barack-Obama-furious-at-General-Stanley-McChrystal-speech-on-Afghanistan.html

First of all, that the WH can rejected a SpecOps general who has the professionalism and ofresight to say this cannot be won exclusively by SpecOps demonstrates a level of professionalism that trumps one's own specialty. Obviously the general is not motivated by territorial pissings--a thing that contribute greatly to the Desert One debacle under Carter.

Second, Joe Biden is a ****ing moron and how anyone could give his plan more credence over a seasoned SpecOps warrior beggars the imagination. Methinks Obama is looking for an easy out and Biden is the fall guy.

Third, AMERICANS ARE DYING WHILE THIS EGOTISTICAL SHITBAG IS WORRIED ABOUT HIS PUBLIC IMAGE. He'll spend untold amounts of "political capital" so he can have Olympic games greet him as he returns home for his last year in office but he can't manage to meet with his theatre commander except to bitch about how his public image is damaged...nevermind trying to win a war he himself campaigned for.

If Obama throws/loses this war the same calls for impeachment that were threatened against Bush when he wanted to go with the surge in Iraq should be brought to bear against Obama and Biden's dumbass can twist right along with it.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline debk

• Topic Moderator
Re: WH Furious with Gen McChrystal
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2009, 08:22:30 AM »
Wonder how soon Obama will be replacing "his" General?  :uhsure:

Biden probably got his "opinion" from his son who is currently serving in Afghanistan....I think he's a JAG lawyer...should make him an expert on warfare... ::)..nothing wrong with being a JAG lawyer, it's great he's serving....I'm just not sure he would be the best to be asking advice on how to win a war....
« Last Edit: October 05, 2009, 09:29:31 AM by debk »
Just hand over the chocolate...back away slowly...far away....and you won't get hurt....

Save the Earth... it's the only planet with chocolate.

"My therapist told me the way to achieve true inner peace is to finish what I start. So far I've finished two bags of M&M's and a chocolate cake. I feel better already." – Dave Barry

A balanced diet is chocolate in both hands.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2009, 08:44:35 AM »
In London, Gen McChrystal, who heads the 68,000 US troops in Afghanistan as well as the 100,000 Nato forces, flatly rejected proposals to switch to a strategy more reliant on drone missile strikes and special forces operations against al-Qaeda.

He told the Institute of International and Strategic Studies that the formula, which is favoured by Vice-President Joe Biden, would lead to "Chaos-istan".

While I do favor the use of drones making strikes, aren't they also more responsible for most of the civilian deaths?  I know collateral damage is unavoidable, but maybe better intel is necessary, or we need to worry less about that problem and get on with winning the war.

OBama is determined to turn Afghanistan into this century's Vietnam , and will of course blame it on President Bush.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2009, 08:51:03 AM »
Way to go Gen. McChrystal.
Liberalism Is The Philosophy Of The Stupid

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2009, 08:56:20 AM »
While I do favor the use of drones making strikes, aren't they also more responsible for most of the civilian deaths?  I know collateral damage is unavoidable, but maybe better intel is necessary, or we need to worry less about that problem and get on with winning the war.

OBama is determined to turn Afghanistan into this century's Vietnam , and will of course blame it on President Bush.
Collateral schmollateral. We're dealing with an enemy that hides among civilians; civilians that--if we were to approach on the ground--would actively engage NATO forces and civilians that train children to be suicide bombers.

So much for the defintion of civilian casualties.

I know you may feel the same way.

As to your second point: I think Obama wants to establish his tough-guy street cred on the cheap. Afghanistan won't bring the generational political control that healthcare will so it is a secondary concern...maybe even tertiary. Yeah, he'll try to blame ANYbody else. I think that is a big part why Captain Ego for once in his misbegotten career is allowing the new strategy to be called the Biden strategy. Uncle Joe will be the fall guy who will quietly step aside in time for the 2012 elections.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2009, 08:57:30 AM »
I thought it was Bush's fault we are still there :sarcasm: I mean he is the reason we have so much wrong with this nation it is all his fault right? :whatever:
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline thundley4

« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2009, 09:08:30 AM »
Collateral schmollateral. We're dealing with an enemy that hides among civilians; civilians that--if we were to approach on the ground--would actively engage NATO forces and civilians that train children to be suicide bombers.

So much for the defintion of civilian casualties.

I know you may feel the same way.

As to your second point: I think Obama wants to establish his tough-guy street cred on the cheap. Afghanistan won't bring the generational political control that healthcare will so it is a secondary concern...maybe even tertiary. Yeah, he'll try to blame ANYbody else. I think that is a big part why Captain Ego for once in his misbegotten career is allowing the new strategy to be called the Biden strategy. Uncle Joe will be the fall guy who will quietly step aside in time for the 2012 elections.

That's why I said that we need to worry less about the collateral damage and just win the war.  The members of The Religion of PeaceTM, have no qualms about killing innocents or hiding among them to launch their attacks. We need to attack the places where they  use to hide in.  I think I had even heard something about Iran having one of their nuke sites near or under a mosque .

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2009, 09:38:08 AM »
IMHO...and for the trolls reading this is STRICTLY my opinion...Gen. McChrystal did what all Generals should do.

And that is to be blunt...to state the facts of the situation and give their best opinion and tactical assessment on what should be done to fix the situation.

Too many of them spend too much time saying what they think the CINC wants them to say or to say things that will look good woth the politicians for their next promotion.

The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years.  The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

If it walks like a donkey and brays like a donkey and smells like a donkey - it's Cold Warrior.  - PoliCon

Palin has run a state, a town and a commercial fishing operation. Obama ain't run nothin' but his mouth. - Mark Steyn

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2009, 09:59:57 AM »
IMHO...and for the trolls reading this is STRICTLY my opinion...Gen. McChrystal did what all Generals should do.

And that is to be blunt...to state the facts of the situation and give their best opinion and tactical assessment on what should be done to fix the situation.

Too many of them spend too much time saying what they think the CINC wants them to say or to say things that will look good woth the politicians for their next promotion.
A good CinC listens but is ultimately responsible for the final say. Obama niether listens nor says; he merely triangulates his personal best adavantage while American kids are torn apart.

Lincoln fired a shit-ton of generals and he begged for McClellan to aid him but McClellan turned out to be a disaster. It was the team of Sherman and Grant that brought the traitors to heel with good ol' fashion science of war and Lincoln listened and signed of on their proposals.

McChrystal can't get face time with our pollster-in-chief except to be scolded for speaking out of turn.

Offline DumbAss Tanker

« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2009, 10:41:45 AM »
Well, he is right about the Chaos-istan.  That's exactly what we'll get if we disengage on the ground.  It may be possible to keep the Taliban from formally governing the country with the Biden-type plan, but they'd have de facto control of everything outside of the government buildings in Kabul, and know everything than went on in them.
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.

Offline TheSarge

• Platoon Sergeant
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2009, 10:57:12 AM »
Well, he is right about the Chaos-istan.  That's exactly what we'll get if we disengage on the ground.  It may be possible to keep the Taliban from formally governing the country with the Biden-type plan, but they'd have de facto control of everything outside of the government buildings in Kabul, and know everything than went on in them.

I will never understand why Dems are so terrified of the word "victory" and then do everything they can to ensure they never have to say it.

• Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2009, 11:03:31 AM »
I will never understand why Dems are so terrified of the word "victory" and then do everything they can to ensure they never have to say it.
Because, while they are quite wiling to engage in ruthess bloodletting, to seek "victory" over the oppressed masses who are only angry with us because of our capitalism, imperialist exploitation then they would be undermining a majo portion of their propaganda vs the domestic competition.

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2009, 05:36:16 PM »

Because it is easier to call fail then to be happy for a victory
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.