Author Topic: Compromise reached allowing Springfield power plant to go online  (Read 778 times)

Offline thundley4

A new coal-fired power plant in Springfield is set to go online this month, and city leaders have signed a deal to reduce its carbon emissions by powering state government buildings with wind energy.

Environmental advocates with the "Sierra Club" strongly opposed Springfield's Dallman 4 Power Plant, but a compromise reached two years ago is now set to go into effect tomorrow if city leaders and Governor Quinn sign off on the deal.

In 2006 the Sierra Club threatened to block City Water Light and Power's clean air permit for the new power plant. The delay would have cost the utility as much as $200 million. CWLP agreed to offset its increased carbon footprint by purchasing 120 megawatts from a wind farm in northern Iowa, half of this will be used to power many state offices in Springfield. CWLP representatives say buying clean energy is one more move toward a "greener" future for the utility.

The proposed 10-year agreement is on the Springfield City Council's agenda for emergency passage at tonight's meeting. We'll have the outcome of the council's vote tonight at 10. Utility officials say wind power purchases will make up about 18% of the total electricity generated each year to meet Springfield's energy demands.
Link

Can someone explain to me how making them purchase "green electricity" to power some office buildings is going to accomplish anything other than making the taxpayers spend unnecessary money?  The power generated from this plant is going to be used somewhere, by someone, so why not the the coop that is producing it.  CWLP = City, Water, Light and Power.

Offline MrsSmith

Re: Compromise reached allowing Springfield power plant to go online
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2009, 05:55:35 PM »
As I understand it, one of the main problems with wind-generated electricity is that more is made at night than during the day...exactly the opposite of heaviest usage.  Especially usage in an office building...

So, sounds like a standard greenie deal.  Dumb.

Antifa - the only fascists in America today.

Offline MarshallLaw

« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2009, 07:48:24 AM »
So this guy still has his job, right?

:doh:

Offline thundley4

« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2009, 07:55:28 AM »
So this guy still has his job, right?

:doh:

No nuke plants in Springfield, Illinois. I can't remember which Springfield was chosen to be the honorary home of The Simpsons for the movie release.

Offline NHSparky

• Where are you going? I was gonna make espresso!
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2009, 07:57:09 AM »
At least USA Today had the audacity to mention it:

(I used to live about an hour from Durango--used to be reasonable.  Guess too many Cali moonbats invaded.)

LINK

“Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian.”  -Henry Ford