Author Topic: ACLU: Michigan's Funeral Protest Law Unconstitutional  (Read 1361 times)

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
ACLU: Michigan's Funeral Protest Law Unconstitutional
« on: April 02, 2009, 11:26:25 AM »
ACLU: Michigan's Funeral Protest Law Unconstitutional

LANSING, Mich. —  A lawsuit challenging Michigan's law restricting funeral protests was filed Wednesday on behalf of a couple who were pulled over and arrested during a procession for a friend killed in Iraq because their van bore signs critical of then-President George W. Bush.

*snip*

"Although the Legislature may have had honorable motives in passing the law, this case is a textbook example of what happens when the state gives police officers unchecked power to arrest people who express unpopular views," said Michael Steinberg, legal director for the ACLU of Michigan.

The ACLU filed the federal lawsuit in Bay City against Clare County and two sheriff's deputies on behalf of a 64-year-old Army veteran Lewis Lowden and his late wife, Jean.

*snip*

Lewis Lowden for years had taped homemade political signs to the inside windows of his van criticizing the president and government policies, the lawsuit said. They made statements such as "Impeach Cheney-Bush" and "G.W. Bush: The Reason Why Murphy Wrote His Law."

*snip*

Criminal charges were later dropped; the ACLU said Motley's family had asked prosecutors to drop them.

MORE

BDS is still strong in Michigan I suppose.

If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
Re: ACLU: Michigan's Funeral Protest Law Unconstitutional
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 11:33:17 AM »
Family funeral: public spectacle

Unborn child murder: supreme privacy

Go figure.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 11:44:53 AM »
Really good friends that the deceased had in those people.  They couldn't put politics aside for his funeral?  I hope someone in his family bitchslaps them hard.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2009, 11:49:06 AM »
MORE

BDS is still strong in Michigan I suppose.

:fuelfire:

BDS is very strong down in that sucking chest wound known as the Tri-County area - Wayne (home of Detroit), Oakland, and Macomb counties and it's not so strong elsewhere in the state. Grand Rapids, Flint, and Ann Arbor are all microcosms of the Tri-County area, however.

The prevalence of Rust Belt thinking, i.e., that unions can do no wrong, that graft, greed and corruption is commonplace and expected (see Coleman Young's history and that of his protege Kwame for real examples), and the idea that building transportation is a God-given right is strange when you think about it.

For years, people have been bailing out of that area and fleeing elsewhere due to the inherent employment problems, crappy weather, and stupid behavior on the part of elected officials.

Why more people haven't fled that area is a real mystery.

I do miss the coney island hot dogs, though.   :uhsure:         
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline djones520

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2009, 03:44:14 PM »
The case stated I think was an abuse of that law.  Having a bumper sticker that is critical of a President is in no way protesting a funeral.  ACLU won't get any ground on this one IMO, but I hope that this case helps to "train" police on what true protesting is.
"Chuck Norris once had sex in an 18 wheeler. Some of his semen dripped onto the engine. We now call that truck Optimus Prime."

Offline thundley4

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2009, 04:35:08 PM »
The case stated I think was an abuse of that law.  Having a bumper sticker that is critical of a President is in no way protesting a funeral.  ACLU won't get any ground on this one IMO, but I hope that this case helps to "train" police on what true protesting is.

"Lewis Lowden for years had taped homemade political signs to the inside windows of his van criticizing the president and government policies, the lawsuit said."

Depending on the size of the signs, the signs may have been much more than a bumper sticker.  Still they were not actively protesting. OTOH, as I said earlier, proper respect would have meant removing the signs. 

Offline Airwolf

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2009, 09:55:41 PM »
I doubt that the ACLU will get anywhere with this. I'm still waiting to hear on what happened with the case with that feakazoid Phelps daughter and her case on getting her kid to stomp on the flag at a funeral in Nebraska.
MOLON LABE

"Someday, when all your civilization and science are likewise swept away, your kind will pray for a man with a sword."-- Conan the Barbarian

Clint Eastwood - Because God wanted Chuck Norris to have nightmares.

"I am not a Number,I am a free man"

"He's my hero, you don't put away your heros, you honor them!"

Offline Bluesuiter-Retired

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2009, 01:16:24 AM »
Here is what folks should do to counter the aclu

When someone who works for the aclu, regardless of position they hold, dies, private citizens ought to show up en mass and protest against the aclu.

Wait and see how quickly those retards in the aclu change their position.
America - Love It, or LEAVE

Offline Chris_

• Little Lebowski Urban Achiever
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2009, 06:30:26 AM »
Here is what folks should do to counter the aclu

When someone who works for the aclu, regardless of position they hold, dies, private citizens ought to show up en mass and protest against the aclu.

Wait and see how quickly those retards in the aclu change their position.

The fact that we don't is one of many things that separates us from them.
If you want to worship an orange pile of garbage with a reckless disregard for everything, get on down to Arbys & try our loaded curly fries.