Author Topic: Record heat wave kills hundreds in Minnesota (but check that date) - 1936  (Read 308 times)

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Record-setting 1930s heat wave
Many towns and cities, including St. Cloud, Rochester and Duluth, set their all-time record highs during the July 1936 heat wave.

GOLDEN VALLEY, Minn. — Minnesota experienced one of its worst heat waves in July of 1936 when the Twin Cities hit the triple digits eight times. The mercury topped out at 105° and hotter for five days straight while setting Minneapolis’ all-time record high of 108° on July 14, 1936.

Those high temperatures were more than 20 degrees above average for mid-July when the average high temperature is 83-84 degrees. Many towns and cities, including St. Cloud, Rochester and Duluth, also set their all-time record highs during this heat wave.

In fact, nearly every community in the state saw at least one day of triple-digit heat during that month.

This stretch of sweltering heat took place during the Great Depression and Dust Bowl of the 1930s and with the lack of air-conditioning at that time, many people resorted to sleeping outside to escape the stuffy heat of the indoors.

There were more than 700 deaths reported in Minnesota during this heat wave, and some estimates put that number closer to 900. Ironically enough, the prior winter was one of the coldest on record.

https://www.kare11.com/article/weather/weather-minds/weatherminds-minnesota-record-setting-1930s-heat-wave/89-6daddcae-7e7b-4565-a1e3-cfc571f54ee9

This is not a recent phenomenon, it is recency bias.

Have another story which I can't link because it is a subscription site that has the July 11th, 1930 Minneapolis Star-Tribune that cites dozens died in a few hours in the Twin Cities and golfers at the U.S. Open Championship were collapsing from the oppressive heat.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SVPete

Media folk are also making a big thing of Arizona - the Phoenix metro area, aka the Valley of the Sun - experiencing temps of 110 F and higher. On the afternoon of June 28, 1972 a much younger SVPete moved into an apartment on 32nd St. and Roosevelt. The AC had not been on for two weeks and it was 114 F that afternoon.

Warmistas are gaming people's memory, trying to make ordinary be evidence proving their Chicken-Little-ism.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline CollectivismMustDie

• American
  • (D)Ummie nightmare.
Having lived in AZ for a few years after 2001, I saw temps over 120 several times.

They're lying and playing qualification games with these so called 'record' temps.
"Be not intimidated... nor suffer yourselves to be wheedled out of your liberties by any pretense of politeness, delicacy, or decency. These, as they are often used, are but three different names for hypocrisy, chicanery and cowardice." - John Adams

Hillary Clinton will never be the President of the United States.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Having lived in AZ for a few years after 2001, I saw temps over 120 several times.

They're lying and playing qualification games with these so called 'record' temps.

And they are definitely qualification games. Look, it is summer. Naturally it gets hot in the Northern Hemisphere. And the older a person gets, the heat and/or cold affects everyone differently, perceived or not.

It just makes me cackle ala Kamala when I hear terms such as "unprecedented heat wave", when we as a society only have approximately 150 years of meteorological records. And yet the lefty media has recently been claiming that a certain day or month is the hottest day in 150,000 years. Based on whatever came out of their rectums to prove their point.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender