Author Topic: Grassley Running Again  (Read 716 times)

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
Grassley Running Again
« on: September 24, 2021, 07:37:41 AM »
This desiccated old geezer (88 years old) is so intent on holding power that he creates photo ops of him running.

Uh, yeah. About 3 steps.  :yawn:

OK, Chuck. Kudos to you for getting out of the rack and lining up for the photo op.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2021/09/24/grassley-makes-4-am-political-announcement-n2596430?utm_campaign=rightrailsticky2
Adams E2 Euphonium, built in 2017
Boosey & Co. Imperial Euphonium, built in 1941
Edwards B454 bass trombone, built 2012
Bach Stradivarius 42OG tenor trombone, built 1992
Kanstul 33-T BBb tuba, built 2011
Fender Precision Bass Guitar, built ?
Mouthpiece data provided on request.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a
Re: Grassley Running Again
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2021, 08:02:36 AM »
This desiccated old geezer (88 years old) is so intent on holding power that he creates photo ops of him running.

Uh, yeah. About 3 steps.  :yawn:

OK, Chuck. Kudos to you for getting out of the rack and lining up for the photo op.

https://townhall.com/tipsheet/leahbarkoukis/2021/09/24/grassley-makes-4-am-political-announcement-n2596430?utm_campaign=rightrailsticky2

To be honest, he's far more lucid than Sleepy Joe and almost a decade older.  He was first elected to the U.S. Senate when I was in elementary school.

Certainly not a conservative firebrand, but that's what Iowa Senator Joni Ernst does quite effectively.  Last I heard the only Democrat challenging him is a nutjob who just lost her congressional seat in 2020.  (Abby Finkenauer, I believe)

Don't want to seem hypocritical by defending a fossil such as Grassley, but given that Biden's approval rating in Iowa is currently at 31%, I'm sure Chuck should win rather handily.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2021, 11:14:37 AM »
To be honest, he's far more lucid than Sleepy Joe and almost a decade older.  He was first elected to the U.S. Senate when I was in elementary school.

Certainly not a conservative firebrand, but that's what Iowa Senator Joni Ernst does quite effectively.  Last I heard the only Democrat challenging him is a nutjob who just lost her congressional seat in 2020.  (Abby Finkenauer, I believe)

Don't want to seem hypocritical by defending a fossil such as Grassley, but given that Biden's approval rating in Iowa is currently at 31%, I'm sure Chuck should win rather handily.

Grassley must've had an off day on the questioning he conducted of somebody-or-other a couple months ago. Slow, halting, unsure of himself. I attributed that to his age.

A bar of soap lying in a bathtub is more lucid than Gropey Joe ever thought about being.

That said, the ONLY reason somebody hangs on to public office at the age of 88 is because of the constant thirst for power. Grassley is no different than Strom Thurmond in that respect. Nancy Pelousy is 80; McConnell is 79 and has held his seat in the Senate since 1985. Power mongers all.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2021, 11:59:16 AM »
Our government resembles the soviet politiburo of the 1980 era that was full of worn out old men who couldn't give up their power and perks.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline old dog 2

• pork eating infidel
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2021, 02:20:09 PM »
All of these old geezers will eventually leave office (ballot box or grim reaper) multi-millionaires after their decades of "public service".

Term limits won't help, they'll just accelerate packing their golden parachutes.  An informed electorate is needed.  Don't hold your breath.
Truly, whoever can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.  - Voltaire

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2021, 02:50:27 PM »
Grassley must've had an off day on the questioning he conducted of somebody-or-other a couple months ago. Slow, halting, unsure of himself. I attributed that to his age.

A bar of soap lying in a bathtub is more lucid than Gropey Joe ever thought about being.

That said, the ONLY reason somebody hangs on to public office at the age of 88 is because of the constant thirst for power. Grassley is no different than Strom Thurmond in that respect. Nancy Pelousy is 80; McConnell is 79 and has held his seat in the Senate since 1985. Power mongers all.

Hard to get a gauge on Grassley's motivation other than it has been his "job" for 40 years.  Iowa is an interesting and odd state politically, with lots of pockets of hardcore libs (Iowa City, Des Moines proper discounting the 'burbs, and Cedar Rapids) and pretty much every college town.  Rural Iowa and the suburbs are certainly conservative.

Wish that he'd step aside, but don't know if there is a great conservative to fill his spot.  Assuming he does win re-election, he could step down in mid-term while Republican Governor Kim Reynolds could replace him.

Want all of the Crypt-Keeper lifelong Senators and Congressional House members to go away sooner than later.  But you're correct, they seemingly crave power.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2021, 04:15:44 PM »
Hard to get a gauge on Grassley's motivation other than it has been his "job" for 40 years.  Iowa is an interesting and odd state politically, with lots of pockets of hardcore libs (Iowa City, Des Moines proper discounting the 'burbs, and Cedar Rapids) and pretty much every college town.  Rural Iowa and the suburbs are certainly conservative.

Wish that he'd step aside, but don't know if there is a great conservative to fill his spot.  Assuming he does win re-election, he could step down in mid-term while Republican Governor Kim Reynolds could replace him.

Want all of the Crypt-Keeper lifelong Senators and Congressional House members to go away sooner than later.  But you're correct, they seemingly crave power.

As I see it, if there isn't another "great conservative" to fill Grassley's spot, that's a direct result of someone who is not just elected to office, but embedded in office. Grassley does the state of Iowa a disservice by his being a professional politician -- nobody can beat him, so nobody tries.

The Founders believed that serving as a Representative or a Senator was a duty and not a career. Back in the day, they'd serve and then go back to their business of farming, lawyering, doctoring. They've continued to add perks and benefits that the average person would never see, and thus becoming a professional politician was something that the power-hungry and money-hungry sought. This is what we have now, on both sides of the aisle.

Disgusting.  :bird:

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2021, 04:25:55 PM »
As I see it, if there isn't another "great conservative" to fill Grassley's spot, that's a direct result of someone who is not just elected to office, but embedded in office. Grassley does the state of Iowa a disservice by his being a professional politician -- nobody can beat him, so nobody tries.

The Founders believed that serving as a Representative or a Senator was a duty and not a career. Back in the day, they'd serve and then go back to their business of farming, lawyering, doctoring. They've continued to add perks and benefits that the average person would never see, and thus becoming a professional politician was something that the power-hungry and money-hungry sought. This is what we have now, on both sides of the aisle.

Disgusting.  :bird:

Don't get mad at me, my friend.  I'll gladly vote for him in 2022 over the awful dreck the Democrat party will dredge up.

Am familiar with a few solid Iowa Republicans who might eventually take over that Senate seat.  Iowa political wonks know their names but they're already being tarred, feathered, and slapped with whips by the overwhelming liberal media here.  I know it sucks and I sound completely hypocritical for saying this, but I'll take the fossil of Chuck Grassley over any Democrat.

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2021, 04:55:46 PM »
Don't get mad at me, my friend.  I'll gladly vote for him in 2022 over the awful dreck the Democrat party will dredge up.

Am familiar with a few solid Iowa Republicans who might eventually take over that Senate seat.  Iowa political wonks know their names but they're already being tarred, feathered, and slapped with whips by the overwhelming liberal media here.  I know it sucks and I sound completely hypocritical for saying this, but I'll take the fossil of Chuck Grassley over any Democrat.

No way am I angry at you, Ralph. Just stating a forceful opinion. And yeah, it goes without saying to elect Grassley before any Democrat.

We need term limits to keep the Grassleys and McConnells and Leahys and Pelousys from creating their powerful fiefdoms.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2021, 06:47:21 PM »
No way am I angry at you, Ralph. Just stating a forceful opinion. And yeah, it goes without saying to elect Grassley before any Democrat.

We need term limits to keep the Grassleys and McConnells and Leahys and Pelousys from creating their powerful fiefdoms.

No offense taken!  Totally understood and agreed.  Unlike the rabid hyenas on the left, we can politely discuss certain issues and rationale for candidates for political office.

There is no way to medically or currently constitutionally put an age limit on politicians.  Especially considering many don't have all of their neurons firing in their noggin: Their brain is broken.  Example: Joseph Robinette Biden

As the Baby Boom generation gets older, my age group commonly known as Generation X (born 1965 to 1979) are taking more prominent roles not just in politics but society in general.  Which is a natural progression.

:cheersmate:

Offline Eupher

• U.S. Army, Retired
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2021, 07:23:15 PM »
No offense taken!  Totally understood and agreed.  Unlike the rabid hyenas on the left, we can politely discuss certain issues and rationale for candidates for political office.

There is no way to medically or currently constitutionally put an age limit on politicians.  Especially considering many don't have all of their neurons firing in their noggin: Their brain is broken.  Example: Joseph Robinette Biden

As the Baby Boom generation gets older, my age group commonly known as Generation X (born 1965 to 1979) are taking more prominent roles not just in politics but society in general.  Which is a natural progression.

:cheersmate:

OK, Boomer (says to self)  :rotf:

I attended a reunion of fellow military musicians last weekend. Had a great time. I approached some of them who are in their 70s and told them that I am a "Geezer-in-Training." Not quite there, yet, but getting there faster than I want to.  :p