Author Topic: Wal Mart not so evil after all  (Read 1904 times)

Offline Freeper

• Creepy ass cracker.
Wal Mart not so evil after all
« on: January 22, 2008, 01:10:25 PM »
BonnieJW  Donating Member  (738 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Jan-22-08 02:04 PM
Original message
Wal-Mart

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22719054 /

Why Wal-Mart may just be good for the U.S.
Minneapolis Fed shows economic growth in communities with stores
By Tom Van Riper
Forbes
updated 9:59 p.m. ET, Thurs., Jan. 17, 2008
It may surprise — or even infuriate — critics, but a new study finds Wal-Mart benefits rather than harms the American economy.

That's the conclusion of a report just released by the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, which studied the "Wal-Mart effect" for 89 counties in its region over the past two decades. The study shows that between 1985 and 2003, personal income, overall employment and retail employment grew faster in counties with a Wal-Mart than in those without one.

Surprised? Don't be. Just acknowledge that Adam Smith was probably right: An exchange of goods at low prices benefits everyone. In the case of Wal-Mart, it seems evident that its model of low prices brings more choice to consumers, which is why so many choose to shop there.

While it is widely (or maybe not so widely) believed that Wal-Mart wipes out local jobs and depresses wages, "the findings suggest the opposite: Firm growth, employment and total earnings were somewhat stronger in Wal-Mart counties," the report says. Still, according to a Pew study cited by the report, 24 percent of Americans think the company is bad for the economy, and 31 percent had an unfavorable view of it.

Yet Wal-Mart accounts for almost 6 percent of retail and food sales in the U.S. — 7.5 percent if you include car sales, according to the report. Among those living near a Wal-Mart, the Pew study found 81 percent said it was a good place to shop. Five out of six Americans shopped at the stores in 2005. Nearly 90 percent of the U.S. population lives within 15 miles of a Wal-Mart store, and two-thirds of all retailers are located within five miles of one, the Fed's report says.

http://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=389x2743400

This thread should get interesting so far not many replies.

Zueda  (541 posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Jan-22-08 02:05 PM
Response to Original message
1. The way Hillary lashed out last night...

Edited on Tue Jan-22-08 02:06 PM by Zueda
You would think she believes Walmart is BAD.

devilgrrl  Donating Member  (1000+ posts) Click to send private message to this author  Click to view this author's profile  Click to add this author to your buddy list  Click to add this author to your Ignore list      Tue Jan-22-08 02:06 PM
Response to Original message
2. Oh! I'm so convinced! I think I'll start shopping there!

I look forward to many heads exploding and the OP being accused of being a dirty stinking "Freeper"
I may not lock my doors while sitting at a red light and a black man is near, but I sure as hell grab on tight to my wallet when any democrats are close by.

Offline DixieBelle

• Administrator
  • Still looking for my pony.....
Re: Wal Mart not so evil after all
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2008, 01:21:08 PM »
has anyone pointed out Hillary's past relationship with Walmart??
I can see November 2 from my house!!!

Spread my work ethic, not my wealth.

Forget change, bring back common sense.
-------------------------------------------------

No, my friends, there’s only one really progressive idea. And that is the idea of legally limiting the power of the government. That one genuinely liberal, genuinely progressive idea — the Why in 1776, the How in 1787 — is what needs to be conserved. We need to conserve that fundamentally liberal idea. That is why we are conservatives. --Bill Whittle

Offline DumbAss Tanker

Re: Wal Mart not so evil after all
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2008, 07:27:48 PM »
has anyone pointed out Hillary's past relationship with Walmart??

Barack somebody-or-other was saying something along those lines on TV last night, as a matter of fact...

:rotf:
Go and tell the Spartans, O traveler passing by
That here, obedient to their law, we lie.

Anything worth shooting once is worth shooting at least twice.