Author Topic: J&J vaccine may have only about 33 percent efficacy against the Delta variant  (Read 470 times)

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215645327

zuul (12,102 posts)

J&J vaccine may have only about 33 percent efficacy against the Delta variant

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/07/20/health/coronavirus-johnson-vaccine-delta.html

The coronavirus vaccine made by Johnson & Johnson is much less effective against the Delta and Lambda variants than against the original virus, according to a new study posted online on Tuesday.

Although troubling, the findings result from experiments conducted with blood samples in a laboratory, and may not reflect the vaccine’s performance in the real world. But the conclusions add to evidence that the 13 million people inoculated with the J.&J. vaccine may need to receive a second dose — ideally of one of the mRNA vaccines made by Pfizer-BioNTech or Moderna, the authors said.

The conclusions are at odds with those from smaller studies published by Johnson & Johnson earlier this month suggesting that a single dose of the vaccine is effective against the variant even eight months after inoculation.

The new study has not yet been peer reviewed nor published in a scientific journal. But it is consistent with observations that a single dose of the AstraZeneca vaccine — which has a similar architecture to the J.&J. vaccine — shows only about 33 percent efficacy against symptomatic disease caused by the Delta variant.

lagomorph777 (24,056 posts)

2. I hope they get this going soon!

Maybe you could just go into a Walmart and get the regular Pfizer or Moderna, to tide you over?

I'm sorry J&J seems to be turning out this way. Couldn't have anticipated the variant (or at least, not what the variants would exactly be, DNA-wise). I think Pfizer and Moderna lucked out that the variant happens to be similar to their target proteins.

zuul (12,102 posts)

4. I don't think there has been enough research to determine if it's safe

to get an mRNA vaccine after already receiving J&J.

You can't just pop into a pharmacy or other vaccine spot and ask for an mRNA shot. They require some sort of ID and they have records. And if you you have health insurance, they absolutely know who you are and what vaccine you received.

That's racist.

zuul (12,102 posts)

3. Me too. I got J&J because I was going to need an emergency dental procedure

that would require multiple trips to the dentist. Just sitting there, face up with my mouth open, while multiple staff members came in to work on me. I break into a sweat just thinking about in now.

A few weeks ago I asked the pharmacy that delivered my J&J vaccine if I am eligible for one of the mRNA shots. They referred me to a national hotline. The answer was no. My doctor said the same thing.

I suspect it will be late fall or winter before a decision is made about boosters for the 13 million of us in the US who received J&J.

6. Damn it. Way too slow!

Don't worry about it.  I hear your president is working on operation DERP SPEED to ensure you all get just what's coming to you.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

Well, if DUpipo give a bleep about peer reviewed studies in "scientific journals":

Johnson & Johnson Single-Shot COVID-19 Vaccine Demonstrated a Durable Immune Response and Elicited Dual Mechanisms of Protection Against Delta and Other SARS-CoV-2 Variants of Concern in Data Published in New England Journal of Medicine

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-single-shot-covid-19-vaccine-demonstrated-a-durable-immune-response-and-elicited-dual-mechanisms-of-protection-against-delta-and-other-sars-cov-2-variants-of-concern-in-data-published-in-new-england-journal-of-medicine

NEW BRUNSWICK, N.J., July 14, 2021 – Interim results from a Phase 1/2a sub-study published in the New England Journal of Medicine (NEJM) demonstrated that both humoral (antibody) and cellular (T-cell) immune responses generated by the Johnson & Johnson single-shot COVID-19 vaccine were strong and stable through eight months after immunization, the length of time evaluated to date. Data showed that T-cell responses – including the important CD8+ T-cells that seek out and destroy infected cells – persisted over the eight-month timeframe examined. The Company announced topline preprint study results from this Phase 1/2a sub-study on July 1, 2021.

Data from the study conducted in collaboration with Dan Barouch, M.D., Ph.D., et al. of Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center suggest maturation of B-cell response without further boosting. Mature B-cells produce antibodies, which can help fight the virus that causes COVID-19.

Findings indicate that a single dose of the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine elicited dual mechanisms of protection against COVID-19 disease, including against disease caused by the Delta variant (B.1.617.2) and other SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern, including the Alpha (B.1.1.7), Beta (B.1.351), Gamma (P.1), Epsilon (B.1.429) and Kappa (B.1.617.1) variants, as well as the original SARS-CoV-2 strain (WA1/2020). These data suggest an expansion of neutralizing antibodies over eight months, along with the observations of durable T-cell responses and the suggestion of B-cell maturation.

Of course, facts mean little or nothing to DUpipo. While J&J's vaccine uses a different tactic (= technology) than Pfizer or Moderna, J&J used the same strategy as P and M, create antibodies that attack a part of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that is essential to virus replication and is stable (i.e. doesn't change significantly from variant to variant). To date the parts of the SARS-CoV-2 that Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J targeted have been successful against SARS-CoV-2 variants.

The data is "out there", readily available, but many gooberments and the MSM are all-in on panic and tyranny.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

Well, if DUpipo give a bleep about peer reviewed studies in "scientific journals":

Johnson & Johnson Single-Shot COVID-19 Vaccine Demonstrated a Durable Immune Response and Elicited Dual Mechanisms of Protection Against Delta and Other SARS-CoV-2 Variants of Concern in Data Published in New England Journal of Medicine

https://www.jnj.com/johnson-johnson-single-shot-covid-19-vaccine-demonstrated-a-durable-immune-response-and-elicited-dual-mechanisms-of-protection-against-delta-and-other-sars-cov-2-variants-of-concern-in-data-published-in-new-england-journal-of-medicine

Of course, facts mean little or nothing to DUpipo. While J&J's vaccine uses a different tactic (= technology) than Pfizer or Moderna, J&J used the same strategy as P and M, create antibodies that attack a part of the SARS-CoV-2 virus that is essential to virus replication and is stable (i.e. doesn't change significantly from variant to variant). To date the parts of the SARS-CoV-2 that Pfizer, Moderna, and J&J targeted have been successful against SARS-CoV-2 variants.

The data is "out there", readily available, but many gooberments and the MSM are all-in on panic and tyranny.

Just had my J&J shot 1hr ago.

The ONLY reason I got this shot now was because it was announced and confirmed by the pharmacist that after next week J&J will not be an option in Massachusetts.

The reason given was due to weak dispensed numbers, for whatever reason people want the MRNA vaccines.

I wanted to stick with the traditional viral vector type of vaccine vs the new MRNA.  Was really hoping for more time to evaluate. Wish me luck.  :bawl:
« Last Edit: July 21, 2021, 11:58:40 AM by 67 Rover »
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!

The ONLY reason I got this shot now was because it was announced and confirmed by the pharmacist that after next week J&J will not be an option in Massachusetts.

The reason given was due to weak dispensed numbers, for whatever reason people want the MRNA vaccines.

I wanted to stick with the traditional viral vector type of vaccine vs the new MRNA.  Was really hoping for more time to evaluate. Wish me luck.  :bawl:

Good luck!  I've been praying for slow zombies.   :lmao:

Honestly, I don't care who gets the jab and who doesn't.  It's none of my business and I wish EVERYONE well with the decision(s) they make (yes, including the DUmmies, I have to have something to laugh at!)

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline landofconfusion80

Good luck... I'm still not bothering with any of it, but all the best for you and your endeavors.
One Who Grows (244 posts)
20. absolute bullshit. the cave is unspeakably vile.

I don't know how any of you can live with yourselves.

:)

Offline DLR Pyro

6. Damn it. Way too slow!

I thought you DUmmies said that Trump's vaccine was released too fast to be safe or effective.   Now you are complaining things are going too slow. You people are never happy.

Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

J&J is about 4% of vaccine injections in the US. Why? :shrug: Being 3 months later than Pfizer and Moderna may be a factor. The LIEden Administration bungling of the blood clots (at a rate about the same of in the general population) possible side effect probably hurt J&J.

Viral vector vaccines are actually fairly new. Last I heard something like 5-10 viral vector vaccines are in use. The traditional vaccine technology uses dead, weakened, or inactivated viruses. The only three Covid vaccines of that type in use that I'm aware of are SinoVac's, Sinopharm's, and a vaccine developed in India. The two Chinese vaccines apparently are not very effective against variants currently in circulation. Maybe SinoVac's and Sinopharm's vaccines are two variant specific, or maybe they just aren't very effective in general. I've not heard a lot about the Indian vaccine (except that it's not the main vaccine being used in India, unless only recently).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline 67 Rover

J&J is about 4% of vaccine injections in the US. Why? :shrug: Being 3 months later than Pfizer and Moderna may be a factor. The LIEden Administration bungling of the blood clots (at a rate about the same of in the general population) possible side effect probably hurt J&J.

Viral vector vaccines are actually fairly new. Last I heard something like 5-10 viral vector vaccines are in use. The traditional vaccine technology uses dead, weakened, or inactivated viruses. The only three Covid vaccines of that type in use that I'm aware of are SinoVac's, Sinopharm's, and a vaccine developed in India. The two Chinese vaccines apparently are not very effective against variants currently in circulation. Maybe SinoVac's and Sinopharm's vaccines are two variant specific, or maybe they just aren't very effective in general. I've not heard a lot about the Indian vaccine (except that it's not the main vaccine being used in India, unless only recently).

Gahhh!  Damn. I was led to believe this has been around for decades.  From the CDC website.

"Scientists began creating viral vectors in the 1970s. Besides being used in vaccines, viral vectors have also been studied for gene therapy, to treat cancer, and for molecular biology research. For decades, hundreds of scientific studies of viral vector vaccines have been done and published around the world. Some vaccines recently used for Ebola outbreaks have used viral vector technology, and a number of studies have focused on viral vector vaccines against other infectious diseases such as Zika, flu, and HIV."

The pharmacist figures the unused J&J vaccines will be shipped to other countries from the states that are phasing then out in the next week or so.
NRA Benefactor member
G.O.A. Life member
G.O.A.L. Life member
Certified Law Enforcement Sig Armorer

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
And now, a word from our sponsors...

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."