Author Topic: Teaching kids to hate America? Republicans want 'critical race theory' out of sc  (Read 423 times)

Offline Mary Ann

https://www.democraticunderground.com/1016293082

Thu May 13, 2021, 07:32 AM
Star Member Judi Lynn (147,189 posts)

Teaching kids to hate America? Republicans want 'critical race theory' out of schools

Alia Wong, USA TODAY 33 mins ago

Idaho's governor last week signed into law a bill whose purpose, at face value, is noncontroversial. The law prohibits public schools and colleges from teaching that "any sex, race, ethnicity, religion, color, or national origin is inherently superior or inferior."

The catch? Baked into the legislation is an effort to stamp out conversations about race and equity. A dozen or so states — including Iowa, Louisiana, Missouri, New Hampshire, Oklahoma, Rhode Island and West Virginia – have introduced bills that would prohibit schools from teaching "divisive," "racist" or "sexist" concepts.

Critics warn these measures are part of a larger movement to draw America’s culture wars into classrooms. And this war centers on a once-obscure legal theory about how the legacy of slavery continues to permeate American society today.

“Critical race theory” goes beyond advocating for civil rights or banning discrimination. Proponents see it as a framework to examine how the taint of racism still affects Black Americans and other people of color in matters ranging from who gets bank loans and admission into elite universities to how suspects are treated by police.

Read more: https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/teaching-kids-to-hate-america-republicans-want-critical-race-theory-out-of-schools/ar-BB1gGB7j?li=BBnb7Kz
The OP is just an excerpt from an article.

But, this could get interesting. This is the only reply so far, but I can't wait til Starfish Saver opens her racist trap about what janterry has to say.
janterry (3,855 posts)

1. I don't support banning a theory BUT

I do NOT support the way it is taught in some schools.

I assume this writer (of the article) knows better than what she is writing. She is flattening the discussion and that is making us (as democrats) unsophisticated in our understanding of why there is a push back.

I do NOT support forcing children/teens to discuss (if they are white) why they are racist. I know how it works (I had to do that in graduate school. If I didn't, I received a poor grade). At the time, I thought it was interesting. Over the years, I have come to see it as less helpful. (Also don't support forcing POC having to write out their own beliefs or come out to their classroom.)

School is not for psychological processing. POC and white students should not have to engage with theory like this (forced engagement). Learn it, sure. Why not? It's an interesting (and sometimes helpful) theory.

But whatever my thoughts are - this is what is happening on the ground:
There already are several lawsuits popping up. One by a mother of a student who didn't want to talk about his race, or announce a belief about his so-called gender, or religion in class - or get an F.

Why should children HAVE to do that at school?
From the lawsuit: Defendants compelled Plaintiff William Clark to make professions about his racial, sexual, gender, and religious identities in verbal class exercises and in graded, written homework assignments
https://www.scribd.com/document/489011066/Schoolhouserights-org-Nevada-Complaint#from_embed

FWIW, the plaintiff's mother is black (his deceased father was white).
I don't support banning a theory, of course. That's illiberal. But I sure wish we could have a discussion about a theory - how it can be harnessed effectively - and ways it might have been used in the classroom that are less effective.

Offline SVPete

Critical Race Theory is explained simply in two sentences:

* Everything in history, culture, and life must be understood through the lens of race;

* All white people are racists, from conception.

If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Texacon

• Super
  • All The Way!
FWIW, the plaintiff's mother is black (his deceased father was white).
I don't support banning a theory, of course. That's illiberal. But I sure wish we could have a discussion about a theory - how it can be harnessed effectively - and ways it might have been used in the classroom that are less effective.

That will never happen.  Not in our lifetimes anyway.  There's only one side stopping the discussion and that is the left.  You're not even allowed to discuss about having a discussion, if you're conservative.  Once you open your mouth to talk about having a discussion you are a racist for not just admitting you're a racist.  Discussion closed.

KC
  Build a man a fire and he'll be warm for a day.  Set a man on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

*Stolen

Offline SVPete

That will never happen.  Not in our lifetimes anyway.  There's only one side stopping the discussion and that is the left.  You're not even allowed to discuss about having a discussion, if you're conservative.  Once you open your mouth to talk about having a discussion you are a racist for not just admitting you're a racist.  Discussion closed.

KC

Critical Race Theory cannot stand in the face of rational discussion:

Pro-CRT: You are white, so you are a racist and everything you so and say is racist!

Anti-CRT: You don't know me from Adam! You are paranoid and crazy!

Pro-CRT: I kill you!
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a

KC

And if you claim that you're not a racist and don't need to hear this critical race B.S., they just call you one anyway for denying your white privilege.  It is one hell of a Ponzi scheme.  But like most liberal ideas, there is ZERO logic involved, just emotions.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender