Author Topic: Regarding the Cardinals on my back porch: the police were here this morning ...  (Read 451 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
Star Member marble falls (39,303 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215416510

Regarding the Cardinals on my back porch: the police were here this morning ...

... we told the guy fixing some roof problem in the condo he couldn't work on ours because of the Cardinals and the state and federal laws regarding migratory birds, Migratory Bird Act of 1919, State laws regarding non-gamebirds and offered him the number to the Burnett County Game Warden.

He said, "I'll be there at eight to do the work, I'll get rid of the birds, nest and eggs.", and hung up.

At 7:30 I was out front and composed because he's been a jerk in the past.

He pulled up as I was hitting the sidewalk. He was pissed because one of the other owners hadn't cleared the parking lot space he wanted.

Calmly, I asked what was the plan today.

"We're going to knock that ceiling today."
And I said, "No, we are not."
"WHY NOT!!!!"
"Because there is a migrating bird on our porch nesting". There's also a nest of House Wrens that are about ready any day to abandon the birdhouse.
"I'll take care of them!"
"No, you won't, it's against the law, come onto the deck and I will call the cops."
"Call the cops!! I dare you! Stop calling me names!"
"What? What name did I call you???"
"An FS! Stop yelling at me, stop attacking me! Stop calling my mother terrible names! I'm calling the cops!!!!" and starts dialing.

Meanwhile, I have Texas Game Commission on the phone. I offer the phone to him and he refuses, screaming I hit him, cussed him out to the dispatcher.

Our POA president, older than I and deaf, as is the builder, is very confused and obviously distressed.

The roof has been leaking for more than five years. What were two or three weeks going to hurt? Ironically enough he's working at my Mil's house right now, instead, in another town.

The cop said in that I didn't hit him or that he didn't hit me, they were done. But that if the Warden says there was a crime, they'd be back.

When he was at the MiL's house he told her that at fifty if he was 10yrs younger he'd a kicked my ass. I'm 70+. He could thoroughly beat me into last Sunday right now. But he'd never get a finger on that nest for three weeks.

Should I start a bail gofundme???

:whatever:

Roof has been leaking for FIVE YEARS!!!! Now that the contractor is there they run him off because... birds...

:loser:

3. In the 1918 Act Cardinals are mentioned specifically. At any rate in Texas it's a nono!

Star Member LakeArenal (17,350 posts)

4. Morally a no no. Anywhere.

I wouldn’t do it but there might be protection for nesting birds. Sounds like none of those would stop some people.

Star Member SWBTATTReg (15,474 posts)

5. This idiot deserves to lose any licenses etc. that he has being such an a&& w/ your request(s) and

the law to leave the birds alone. If anything, I'd make sure that I update his BBB ratings (he probably doesn't have a BBB posting) and ensure that other future customers don't run into this nut job. Pulled out every lie in the book in an attempt to get you arrested, harassed/etc. (a bully in short). I don't understand why you still had him do the MIL's house...perhaps you already negotiated a deal w/ him, paid an upfront down payment etc. but I would have ordered him off the property anyways for how can you trust him now?

11. The problem is getting a contractor to take and do good work on job under $5,000. This guy... has an excellent reputation as good craftsman, if a bit expensive. The condo assoc has used him for years. I use him if he'd reduce his price and if we wouldn't have to interact.

But this is the worst I've seen him in years.

We tried to hire him to straighten the floor and replace the sink stand with a smaller and safer sink stand. He came back with a $12,000 quote and a total gut of the bathroom.

My thought was get the stand safe and give us a good floor for around $3,000 depending on the worms we pull out of a can in the floor.

He's claimed to have helped build this place in the mid 70s, but he's only 50. So, he'd be twenty. Thats too young to work construction?  ::)

Welcome to small town 50 miles from Austin, 80 from San Antonio, Texas living.

Star Member Marcuse (4,175 posts)

6. Good work! Any video of the encounter?

Nope....

12. I left the smart phone in the house. I regret it.

:rotf:

Star Member ZonkerHarris (19,139 posts)

27. You need to talk to your POA and have that guy fired. He tried to frame you with false charges and claims. I've seen guys react like that before and they are scum.

You need to file an official complaint to your POA board and get him fired.

Tell them if they force/make you let him in or on your house you will hold them legally and financially responsible for any crimes or damage he does to you or your home.

I would not let that guy near my house, ever.
He cant be trusted in any manner shape or form.

28. This happened in front of the President of the POA and he's an independent contractor.

Yeah... they probably hired him to fix the roofs, you ****ing jackass.

BobTheSubgenius (9,256 posts)

29. He seems a tad volatile. Just a tad...

Might be a MAGAt. What do you think?

:thatsright:

TomDaisy (704 posts)

30. he engaged in elder abuse. you should have him arrested for that

33. You're right. Never thought of myself as elderly, though I have embraced my geezerhood.

Star Member wryter2000 (40,969 posts)

32. The condo needs to fire his ass

That is no way to behave, birds or not.

Does anyone really believe it happened the way this DUmbass told it?

::)
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running
I too have had problems with cardinals on my porch.

According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline ExGeeEye

• We don't need another
  • Spread the work ethic; the wealth will follow.
Is the name for a herd of Cardinals a "conclave"?
My CCW permit was issued in 1791.

Charter Member: Vast Right-Wing Conspiracy
Associate Member: Basket of Deplorables
Charter Member: Listless Vessels

Offline USA4ME

• Evil Capitalist
Roofer should get on the hotline and let his fellow roofers that the marble falls primitive is a nut and to not offer to fix their roof at all.

"Small town 50 miles from Austin, 80 from San Antonio"? Probably not a lot of roofers around and they certainly aren't going to travel 50+ miles to see you. Good luck with finding someone who won't charge you out the wazoo after this roofer tells all his buddies. Gotta learn when to pick your battles, primitive.

Because third world peasant labor is a good thing.

Offline franksolich

• Scourge of the Primitives
  • Global Moderator
Isn't marble_falls the primitive with a criminal record?
apres moi, le deluge

Offline Ralph Wiggum

• It's unpossible that I'm a

At this point, I think the list of primitives WITHOUT a criminal record would be far shorter than those with one.

For example, one can imagine CalPiggy being involved with the Manson family back in the day.
Voted hottest "chick" at CU - My hotness transcends gender

Offline SSG Snuggle Bunny

• Global Moderator
  • Voted Rookie-of-the-Year, 3 years running

Issuing bad checks, if memory serves.
According to the Bible, "know" means "yes."

Offline Zathras

• This is the way.
Roofer should get on the hotline and let his fellow roofers that the marble falls primitive is a nut and to not offer to fix their roof at all.

"Small town 50 miles from Austin, 80 from San Antonio"? Probably not a lot of roofers around and they certainly aren't ugoing to travel 50+ miles to see you. Good luck with finding someone who won't charge you out the wazoo after this roofer tells all his buddies. Gotta learn when to pick your battles, primitive.

If I were the roofer I'd do all of the above then tell the story about this Chad on r/entitledpeople.
Solve a man's problem with violence and help him for a day. Teach a man how to solve his problems with violence, help him for a lifetime - Belkar Bitterleaf

If racist dog whistles are meant to be only heard by racists, then it is quite interesting how progressives seem to be the only people who can hear them. - Leonydus Johnson

What makes a good soldier? The ability to fire 3 rounds a minute in any weather. - Major Richard Sharpe