Author Topic: We need an Independent Republican Party  (Read 301 times)

Offline dutch508

• Remember
We need an Independent Republican Party
« on: May 08, 2021, 09:01:43 AM »
Dr. Jack (580 posts)
https://www.democraticunderground.com/100215410646

I had a thought, although I'm aware it will never actually happen, about what sane Republicans in the House and Senate should do in their current predicament. There are people like Kinzinger, Cheney, Romney, Murkowski, Upton, and really anyone who was sane enough to see that Trump and the MAGA crowd are incredibly dangerous. They are obviously getting hammered by the rest of the GOP for daring to oppose a fascist coup attempt. They are obviously in the minority within the current Republican Party and the prospects that this group will change the GOP into some more sane is very unlikely. At least not for many many years. All the while they have a (hopefully) metaphorical target on their backs. Instead of trying to change the Republican Party right now or waiting for their inevitable purging from the party, why don't they form their own party?

Or at the very least their own caucus in the House and Senate. People like Liz Cheney and Mitt Romney are never going to switch parties and become Democrats. While I certainly respect elected Republicans who stood up to Trump and the MAGA crowd, to some extent, I think we can all agree we don't want them in the Democratic Party and I'm sure they don't want that either. But there is a third option between Republican and Democrat...well, a third party of sorts.

If they banded together became "Independent Republicans" they could be as conservative as they want but make it far, far harder for the Republican Party to become the majority party in the House or Senate. On the 2nd impeachment, there are 10 Republicans who voted in favor in the House and 7 in the Senate. Instead of being relegated to pariahs in the minority party, they could have a significant impact on policy and legislation, and could prevent the broader Republican Party from being the majority party until they stop acting so batshit.

I think a temporary "Independent Republican Party" could actually solve quite a few big problems that we are dealing with right now in this country.

:thatsright:

Star Member drray23 (5,687 posts)

1. it might work for a senator who just got reelected and has six years

Not so much for the house members. The 2 yr cycle all but guarantees they would be primaried and defeated. This is how the Trumpers hold a grip on the gop. They have enough crazy voters that they can primary dissenters.

Star Member Poiuyt (15,652 posts)

2. I was thinking that the Trumpists should break away to form the Trump Party

Trump, with his ego, would love to have his name on an American political party. Then the Republican Party could keep their own traditions and platforms, while the newly formed Trump Party could stand for racism, xenophobia, and fascism.

Star Member JHB (33,179 posts)

3. +1. This is what they should (but won't) do.

Still call themselves some version of "Republican", but formally cut themselves away from the Raving Monster Loony Party. Break the GQP's block of votes and deny them the ability to obstruct.

The only way they're getting their party back is to torpedo it.

Captain Zero (3,106 posts)

7. The Indie Republican Caucus

then they can join dems on some things and reps on others?
Might keep the nutburgers in a minority on key issues.

:whatever:
The torch of moral clarity since 12/18/07

2016 DOTY: 06 Omaha Steve - Is dying for ****'s face! How could you not vote for him, you heartless bastards!?!

Offline ADsOutburst

Re: We need an Independent Republican Party
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2021, 11:21:40 AM »
We can see that democrats want Romney, Cheney, and the like because dems want a weak republican opposition. That is part of why we are getting rid of them.

Offline DLR Pyro

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2021, 11:48:58 AM »
Dr. Jack (580 posts)

Why?  Would you abandon the democrat party and join the independent republican party if one was formed? 

Quit trying to tell conservatives what they need or how they have to vote and focus on your own little party of lies and hate.
Biden is an illegitimate President.  Change my mind.

Police lives matter.

Basking in the glow of my white privilege

ProudDad Donating Member (1000+ posts) Wed Mar-09-11 08:50 PM
64.I'd almost be willing to get a job in order to participate in
A NATIONAL GENERAL STRIKE
  https://www.democraticunderground.com/discuss/duboard.php?az=view_all&address=102x4763020

Offline SVPete

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2021, 12:02:36 PM »
They aren't satisfied with the tamed RINOs that are already Dems' pets? Pathetic ingrates! :rotf:  :tongue:
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 02:04:14 PM by SVPete »
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline DUmpDiver

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2021, 12:58:54 PM »
Dr. Jack (580 posts)

And call it what it is - RINO.